Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Oyster

I may well get shot down for this-

What's all the fuss about- higher fares if you pay cash-

1/it costs more to man the stations

2/ It's not exclusively for people with bank accounts/ internet access- it's quite possible to walk into a underground station and sort it out with a tenner.

True- it should cover BR-

Or am i missing something?

Comments

• it shoudl cover BR. i walk to the station and to my office either side of cannon street. i just have a yearly train pass - but on the number of occasions i will need to catch the tube i will begrudge paying 4 bloody quid. fooking outrageous.
  • Oyster cards all seem a bit big brother to me - they can track you down!
  • yeah, not sure i like the thought of people knowing where you are, and for times when I see people try to go throught he barriers with an oyster card and it fails. i smile at my paper travelcard!

if it included br i'd get one, but until it does, i'll curse the hell out of it.

its unfair that it was introduced before all can use it in the first place, and then another insult with the price increases that punish those for living in a certain area but that travel into work all the time.

a solution would be to have a train pass and seperately a pay as you go card in central london, but then i'd lose a travelcard discount that i currently get on my paper travelcard! so why would i do that?

any reason why they can't introduce it for all zones 1-6?

to be honest, I could get by with a zone 1 travelcard as there are no barriers at lee ever, and i've only seen an inspector there once in the morning. they should be grateful there are honest people around.

what about the new bendy buses, often now known as "free buses" as the driver doesn't give a shove who he picks up and whether they have a valid pass or not. you either have a travelcard and not have to show it, or you beep in with your oyster, or not, if you don't feel like it. no one is going to check!
  • [cite]Posted By: suzisausage[/cite]to be honest, I could get by with a zone 1 travelcard as there are no barriers at lee ever, and i've only seen an inspector there once in the morning. they should be grateful there are honest people around.

That, according to train operators (SE Trains and SW Trains for example), is the exact reason they wont let us use Oyster on over land services.... no barriers for the cards to be swiped on = lost revenue.
    what about the new bendy buses, often now known as "free buses" as the driver doesn't give a shove who he picks up and whether they have a valid pass or not. you either have a travelcard and not have to show it, or you beep in with your oyster, or not, if you don't feel like it. no one is going to check!

Not always through choice.... in the mornings you physically cant reach the card reader due to overcrowding!
  • edited September 2006
    [cite]Posted By: suzisausage[/cite]yeah, not sure i like the thought of people knowing where you are, and for times when I see people try to go throught he barriers with an oyster card and it fails. i smile at my paper travelcard!

if it included br i'd get one, but until it does, i'll curse the hell out of it.

its unfair that it was introduced before all can use it in the first place, and then another insult with the price increases that punish those for living in a certain area but that travel into work all the time.

a solution would be to have a train pass and seperately a pay as you go card in central london, but then i'd lose a travelcard discount that i currently get on my paper travelcard! so why would i do that?

any reason why they can't introduce it for all zones 1-6?

to be honest, I could get by with a zone 1 travelcard as there are no barriers at lee ever, and i've only seen an inspector there once in the morning. they should be grateful there are honest people around.

It's not TfL thought that the train companies won't except Oyster, and why should the millions of people who use the tube have to wait for the train companies to finally make there minds up.

But anyway, Train fares are going Zonal from next year, and Oyster will be accepted on all of them by the end of 2007
  • end of 2007? Now 2010 - another victory for the combined forces of a Labour government and a Tory mayor (don't like being so overtly political on here, but I got a Tory leaflet through the door last night bragging that it'd happen this year).

London Travelwatch:

London TravelWatch has expressed fury as it has become clear that the roll-out of Oyster Pay As You Go on national rail services in London is being delayed to 2010.

Sharon Grant, Chair, London TravelWatch, said: “We are dismayed that, yet again, the introduction of Oyster Pay As You Go is to be delayed on national rail services in London, meaning passengers will continue to have to use two separate methods of payment on transport in London. As well as being confusing for passengers, it is blatantly unfair on those who live outside the tube network who are not reaping the price benefits of the Oystercard. These delays have occurred time and again over the years.

“Passengers at railway stations around the capital are walking past covered up, unused Oyster machines every day, and have been for months. The lack of an integrated system and any joined-up thinking is ridiculous in a modern city like London. Another delay is simply unacceptable, and it is time for the Department for Transport to hold the transport providers to account.”
  • [cite]Posted By: StanmoreAddick[/cite]I may well get shot down for this-

What's all the fuss about- higher fares if you pay cash-

1/it costs more to man the stations

2/ It's not exclusively for people with bank accounts/ internet access- it's quite possible to walk into a underground station and sort it out with a tenner.

True- it should cover BR-

Or am i missing something?

I am all for oyster cards simple easy and effective, means you dont have to shove your ear up to a pea sized hole to talk to some stroppy 60 something that is just working there til state pension kicks in!

TBH i think they should make it usable for all rail services
  • Available to the Thames Clipper now and on Suburban Rail services from 2 Jan.
  • THEY KNOW WHERE YOU ARE!!!

If you're quick enough it may be worth jumping off the train at the station before the one you want to stop at and tab it there.
  • edited November 2009
    [cite]Posted By: Curb_It[/cite]it shoudl cover BR. i walk to the station and to my office either side of cannon street. i just have a yearly train pass - but on the number of occasions i will need to catch the tube i will begrudge paying 4 bloody quid. fooking outrageous.

Yea but I have a monthly travelcard on Oyster .... can I use the freaking trains ... can I fcuk