Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

****PLEASE HELP****

Most of you are aware that I have been very much involved in charity work with Howbury Friends in Slade Green, they run many activities for young children, teenagers and elderly all free of charge, even Charlton Athletic are involved as they coach football on a Friday evening. Everyone that works with them 6 days a week from 8 am till 9pm running clubs and activities are volunteers, the council give no funding now they are threatening after 5 years to close them down. A lot of people in the area rely on this organisation, a lot of parents look forward to free activites for their kids during the holidays as well as after school and the elderly people of the area are used to things like ballroom dancing as part of their social calender. I moved away from the area but still help when and how I can and the people running this charity are my friends.

Where ever you live or however little this bothers you could you please give me 2 mins of your time and sign this petition.

THANKS 

Comments

• Options
    done :)
  • Options
    Done
  • Options

The conservatives bang on about 'big society' but the truth of the matter is that when sterling organisations like this are threatened with closure it all makes their mantra worthless.

What council in their right minds would want to close Howbury Friends down, how can they justify this. Makes me bloody mad.

I urge all CL members to sign this petition.

• Options
    Mel Hudson (founder) and Helen Davidson chairperson, went to the conference in London last week to give a letter to Boris Johnson, They saw the Mayor of Bexley 'Ray Sams' there and approached him (again) he looked at them and said 'Oh, you're from the Howbury, we're closing you down I don't know why you even want to talk to me.' Later in the evening they attempted to speak to him again this time he responds 'Oh it's you again,I feel a bit hot and sick at the moment.' Mel asked if he would like a drink of water and he said 'No thanks, but go away I don't want to talk to you.' 

This man was rude and abrupt and I would love to see a petition overturn him.

Please sign.

• Options
    Mel Hudson (founder) and Helen Davidson chairperson, went to the conference in London last week to give a letter to Boris Johnson, They saw the Mayor of Bexley 'Ray Sams' there and approached him (again) he looked at them and said 'Oh, you're from the Howbury, we're closing you down I don't know why you even want to talk to me.' Later in the evening they attempted to speak to him again this time he responds 'Oh it's you again,I feel a bit hot and sick at the moment.' Mel asked if he would like a drink of water and he said 'No thanks, but go away I don't want to talk to you.' 

Please sign.

This Ray Sams?

http://democracy.bexley.gov.uk/mgUserInfo.aspx?UID=178

• Options
    edited July 2011
    Done,wish you all luck with this.
  • Options
    Done,I used to live on the Howbury park estate
  • Options

Please sign.

This Ray Sams?

http://democracy.bexley.gov.uk/mgUserInfo.aspx?UID=178

yes

Thanks for all support so far. keep it up please.
  • Options

signed.

i am no way a tory voter and am not sticking up for the way he has allegedly spoken to you.

but before we decide he is the antichrist, i am pretty sure this is the same ray sams that is 100% charlton, who owned TW records and over the years has put a considerable amount of money into cafc.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Does carol read still work down at howbury Sadie
  • Options
     Carole Read, works at Howbury Tumblers which is the toddler group at the centre, not part of Howbury friends but has always been a supporter of Howbury Friends, they share the same building etc.
  • Options

signed.

i am no way a tory voter and am not sticking up for the way he has allegedly spoken to you.

but before we decide he is the antichrist, i am pretty sure this is the same ray sams that is 100% charlton, who owned TW records and over the years has put a considerable amount of money into cafc.

Why does it matter if he or anyone has put money into the club?
  • Options

http://www.bexley-is-bonkers.co.uk/blogs/2011/june.htm#banned

This lot might ruffle a few feathers......

• Options
    At this moment in time I don't really care how much he has donated to Charlton etc, because obviously being Mayor has gone to his head, he was an alright bloke when I met him at TW Records in erith but he has turned into a pompous git. 

This is a charitable organisation that Mel Hudson for one works at unpaid from 8am til 9pm every weekday and also does a Saturday club there as well, also takes phone calls, does paper work, fundraising, legalities etc in her 'own' time. As well as being a single mum to 3 kids. The rest of the voluteers again give up hours or even days of their own time to make this work, and MR Sams wants to destroy 5 years of hard work and care in the community to make way for....nothing, Howbury Friends cost nothing to the council, they don't fund us neither do they accomadate us for free, we pay rent for every council room used. 

Once again I urge  you all to sign and support a very good cause.
  • Options
    done
  • Options
    thanx
  • Options
    http://www.bexley-is-bonkers.co.uk/blogs/2011/june.htm#banned

This lot might ruffle a few feathers......

This lot make my life a misery with their Freedom of Information requests.
  • Options
    Signed,
    Has anybody bought this to the attention of CAFC community trust or asked them for support?
  • Options

Excuse me if this comes across as a stupid question Sadie.

You say above that the council give no funding so what is the "justification" for closing this scheme?

Given that one has to register etc to sign the petition I'd just like a bit of background if that is ok.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Mel and Eve came up with the idea of running 'after school clubs' 6 years ago and together researched how the would go about supplying such a service as there wasn't much extra curricular activites at the time supplied locally, those that there were, even at the schools were too expensive for a lot of local families. Mel researched the sort of things local children wanted to do, wanting activities to be educational and enjoyable, as well as cheap to run. Then 5 years ago after doing fundraising etc they set up as a registered charity starting with just a couple of activities a week, they ask for £1 donation per family per activity, plus had a bucket out collecting donations, they applied for community grants wherever they were offering them to help run things they have had children in needs help before too, mostly though they run on donations, tuck shop profits and as I said all teachers, helpers and instructers are volunteers. The council own the Howbury Centre and the halls, kitchen, toilets etc are rented from the council by Howbury Friends. The issue is the council are demolishing the Howbury Centre, home of Howbury Friends and rebuilding it, however the rebuild is not accommodating Howbury Friends, but yet still accommodating the other 'council run' services such as the youth club which is unstructured poorly run and full of bullying etc, also the youth club doesn't accommodate children under 10, and still the children over 10 prefer Howbury Friends activities, also they will be nothing during the day for the elderly that enjoy their clubs. 

I don't know if have seen, heard of or been to a 'fun day' there is always one on the field on whitehall lane in the summer holidays and the rest of the school holidays they have a one at the howbury centre, they have t-shirt making, dj mixing, face painting, circus skills, inflatables, arts and crafts, biscuit decorating, creepy crawlies, magic shows etc etc. Days like that which are completely free except from the tuck shop are what Howbury Friends is all about. Top that off with parties at christmas, with food, drink, arts and crafts, santa and free gift for every child with only cost being £1 donation per family, also parties at easter and halloween   same set up. This organisation will be missed.

As I said I have moved away so am not physically involved very often however when I lived in Slade green I was involved 5 days a week, I helped with Cookery club, sports club, Literacy club, numeracy club, Arts and crafts, over 65 ballroom dancing and helped pick the children up from school before clubs every day after school. There were volunteers that done more than me everyone works so hard and all they ask from the council is they make room in their new plans and don't treat us like we don't matter just because we are independent of the council.
  • Options
    Only 27 people signed - come on Lifers get your petition signing epen out
  • Options
    29 now I have signed.
  • Options
    Sadie, before I look further into this, could you explain how a petition to save a group that will have a thousand plus people on its contact book only has 20 odd signatures, most of which would be people on here ?
  • Options
    Sadie, before I look further into this, could you explain how a petition to save a group that will have a thousand plus people on its contact book only has 20 odd signatures, most of which would be people on here ?
    petition was set up on 15th July but has only recently been approved and gone active, it has now been put on facebook page of 'Howbury Friends' and leaflets have been printed to give to the children's parents at the end of clubs, the hope is to get 2000 signatures.
  • Options
    Ive signed.
  • Options
    Those of you on Faceache - like and tell your friends:

http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pages/Howbury-Friends/133145066699221
  • Options

Thanks for the response Sadie. I've now signed as I agree with you that it seems ridiculous to close something so useful to the community.

I've linked the Charity Coimmission entry below which gives some more information about this scheme.

http://www.charity-commission.gov.uk/Showcharity/RegisterOfCharities/DocumentList.aspx?RegisteredCharityNumber=1117813&SubsidiaryNumber=0&DocType=AccountList

• Options
    Those of you on Faceache - like and tell your friends:

http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pages/Howbury-Friends/133145066699221

I set that page up, as you can see I am admin. lol 
  • Options
    Most of you are aware that I have been very much involved in charity work with Howbury Friends in Slade Green, they run many activities for young children, teenagers and elderly all free of charge, even Charlton Athletic are involved as they coach football on a Friday evening. Everyone that works with them 6 days a week from 8 am till 9pm running clubs and activities are volunteers, the council give no funding now they are threatening after 5 years to close them down. A lot of people in the area rely on this organisation, a lot of parents look forward to free activites for their kids during the holidays as well as after school and the elderly people of the area are used to things like ballroom dancing as part of their social calender. I moved away from the area but still help when and how I can and the people running this charity are my friends.

Where ever you live or however little this bothers you could you please give me 2 mins of your time and sign this petition.

THANKS