Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Overseas Mortgage advice needed.

I was wondering if anyone has inside know-how on getting a mortgage to buy and renovate in France, taking into account that I am based in the UK.  
Any help advise would be greatly welcome. 

Comments

• Options
    My parent's one was with HSBC & secured on their UK property.

Anyone will lend you money so long as you've got suitable security. If you want to secure the loan on the French property, that might be a little more tricky.

Have a look at this site, should be some useful links. http://www.livingfrance.com/
  • Options
    Thanks  F-Blocker, not seen this site before it was useful. 
    I should point out that I did have a French mortgage with a French bank when I lived and worked out there. I have asked them but they are not happy as I am now living in the UK.      

• Options

You could try Banque Patrimoine & Immobilier (BPI) - they have an Agence non Residents. www.bpi-online.net

They lent to us when we 1st bought our house and we were both living and working in the UK at the time.

It was in 2005 though so obviously their lending criteria will have changed by now - worth a try if you haven't already. 

• Options
    Thank you Charente.

I have called them and it sounds interesting, not sure about the rates, but they will make me an offer this week.  
  • Options

Good luck with it.

Ours is 1.8% plus 3 month EURIBOR but, as I say, that was a 2005 offer.

Great time for you to buy in France now - I'm sure you won't regret it.

• Options
    Just be careful what BPI try to sell you (force you to take) in return for offering you a good rate. They may for example try to sell you (unnecessary) Death Insurance that is totally separate to the insurance on the mortgage.

You may also like to try Barclays.
  • Options
    Just be careful what BPI try to sell you (force you to take) in return for offering you a good rate. They may for example try to sell you (unnecessary) Death Insurance that is totally separate to the insurance on the mortgage.

You may also like to try Barclays.
    That is a trick I always watch for.  Luckily I am not always recognised as a Brit, so they don't always try it on so much. 
    that said when it comes to my money I use my Scottish genes ;)     
  • Options

I can recommend www.moneycorp.com for sending your mortgage payments abroad.

You can either set up a RPP where they send a regular amount each month to your french bank account or you can run your own account online on their GPS , whereby you book your fx deals yourself and set up your payments online to pay out to france.

Better exchange rates than the bank gives you and probably a flat £10 fee for international payments.

• Options
    I can also recommend www.axiafx.com for the same thing and they have already helped a couple of lifers and is owned by a Charlton supporter.
  • Options
    Thanks you both of you.
    Axiafx sounds good.