Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Friendly Fire Video [CAUTION: GRAPHIC]

WSSWSS
edited February 2007 in Other Football and Sports
in the public domain now it seems:

Video

Comments

• Options
    i haven't clicked on the link. i hope it is a wind up.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: paulbaconsarnie[/cite]i haven't clicked on the link. i hope it is a wind up.

its the actual video, you don't see any deaths or anything like that but you can hear everything that is said.
  • Options
    i heard the clip on radio. i don't want to debate whether it is right or wrong to broadcast it, but i don't wanna see it.
  • Options
    absolutely shocking
  • Options
    yeah thats fair enough PBS, people can have the choice i suppose but if anyone is seriously offended i don't mind it being taken down
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    I personally don't mind if people want to talk about this, as it is important. I'm not gonna watch it though. I'd personally only remove it if there are issues with it being in the public domain. There aren't any are there? But I am going to ammend the title to read CAUTION: GRAPHIC.
  • Options
    I havent clicked on link but assume the same as ive just watched on 10.00 news.

Whatever the rights and wrongs, I bet those two Americans felt/feel as bad as you can get.
  • Options
    all that technology and they cant tell who's who?!!??! they can make a plane dissapear for ffs! They put orange markers on the tanks to show they are our's and the bloke says he thought they were orange missiles? somoneis in serious trouble for that and rightly so. Prob get brushed aside and forgot tho.
  • Options
    fair enough LookOut.

It is the same as was shown on the news just the whole video (15mins or so)
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    The video is in the public domain here Lookout, and has been show on BBC and Sky News...

As for what happened, several people at fault. The pilots can't be fully blamed as they cleared ask the ground controller "are there any friendlies in this area" to which they are clearly told "no"....

In these days of technology, why the f**k are we depending on a piece of orange sheeting to distinguish our troops from those of the enemy?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited February 2007
    Double post...
  • Options
    you'd also think with us being allies etc that we could actually speak to each other...
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Southendaddick[/cite]I havent clicked on link but assume the same as ive just watched on 10.00 news.

Whatever the rights and wrongs, I bet those two Americans felt/feel as bad as you can get.[/quote]

Really??? That's an unbelievably nice way to look at things. I expect most murderers feel a twinge of regret from time to time.

I think this quote from the transcript sums them up to be honest:
    "Looking down at the chaos as a soldier drags burning comrades from the vehicles, he adds: “It looks like he is hauling ass. Ha Ha.”
    If you're a soldier in charge of heavy arms and you're chatting like this about the grim tasks that you have to perform then it shows a complete lack of understanding or conscience. Those guys wanted to kill something and it was all a big hoot. The only reason they are at all bothered is because they're in the crap for it.

First up, when they asked if there were friendlies in the area they identified the wrong area, they didn't bother to give grid references for where they were planning to shoot. They didn't care. They go on about orange rockets when they KNEW that friendlies would be marked with orange panels (agree that technology should be better on this). But, they were desperate to blow up the truck so they convinced themselves they saw rockets so they got to kill something. Because of this they attack without permission and continue to attack when they still doubt the identity.

Feel bad? Boo hoo. They should be tried for murder. And that's it.
  • Options
    "Feel bad? Boo hoo. They should be tried for murder. And that's it."

If you watch the video you'll note there was a lot of dust but this convoy were not about to fire or were engaged in any action which meant that the pilots had to make a split section decision. In other words they had plenty of time to check and get authorisation.

There was however an enquiry, they were found to be acting legally and are now back flying fighter missions...

Watch out the British army.

The worse thing though was the refusal by the US government/Dept of Defense to allow this video to be screened at the inquest into Matty Hull, the soldier they killed. Neither will they allow the pilots to give evidence in a British court/inquest. Bear in mind that they are on our side, and are our supposed allies.
  • Options
    Thing is, the Yanks are well known for it, and 'blue on blue' was commonplace during the 1st Gulf War. Clearly no one's learning from these errors...
  • Options
    I was speaking to a mate who was in Beiruit with the Austrailian army. He said that his biggest issue, when under sniper fire, wasn't actually dealing with the sniper, it was wether there was any US units in the area because their immediate reaction was to just start randomly spraying bullets about regardless of whether there were friendlies or innocents around. I honestly just think they're army training is pathetic - they're pumped up to believe they're the world's best and they're actually just a bunch of over-equipped, trigger happy numb nuts. I pay more attention to what I'm doing when I'm playing Grand Theft Auto than those clowns in the plane did. How what they did is considered acting legally, is unbelievable.