Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

City of Manchester Stadium

Now to be known as "The Etihad Stadium" - which tranbslates from Arabic to "The United Stadium"

They'll love that!

Comments

• Would rather keep our identity than The Valley becoming a corporate monothlith.

Wonder if it's only a matter of time before a team really sells out and changes it's name ie Red Bull Villa.

• Ha- thats like Spurs changing the name of the lane to "gunners barracks"
  • We could get our ground sponsored by toy manufacturers and re-name it The Chad Valley.
  • edited July 2011
    Before the take-over I'm pretty sure Richard Murray would've taken that kind of sponsorship if it had been offered. Dunno about the Mysterons. Does it really matter what the stadium is called? I'd rather have that and a better team than turn it down because it's a sh*t name.

Love the Chad Valley idea by the way!
  • Of course it bloody matters what it's called. It would hardly have worked forming a political party in 1990 if we'd had to call it 'The Woolwich Building Society Party' or 'The Viglen Computers Party', would it? Bloody hell, get your priorities straight: What's more important: a part of the club's history or buying another player?

I don't think the Man City or Arsenal fans would take it so easily if it were Highbury or Maine Road whose names were changed.

• edited July 2011

Sod 'em, it's not their stadium anyway the council built it for them.

But on saying that yes it does matter. If we ever ended up with a "named" stadium that would probably be the final straw for me and i would stop going to football.

• We could get our ground sponsored by toy manufacturers and re-name it The Chad Valley.
    or the band
  • The Valley will be renamed within the next five years. All grounds will. It's an inevitable consequence of the new rules restricting how much of your income you can spend on wages. Teams will look to maximise their sponsorship income any way they can. In the medium term (10 years-ish) I expect pretty much every team to include a sponsor in the team name too, a la Red Bull Salzburg. It's sad, but it's the way things are going to go.
  •  

Sod 'em, it's not their stadium anyway the council built it for them.

But on saying that yes it does matter. If we ever ended up with a "named" stadium that would probably be the final straw for me and i would stop going to football.

Interesting where you draw a line. How do you feel about shirt sponsorship? Coloured boots? Female officials?
  • If it came to it, I wouldn't mind the name being something like "The Valley, Sponsored By KRBS", but I wouldn't like it to be renamed "The KRBS Stadium". The whole thing with Red Bull Salzburg is pretty disheartening if you ask me, the badge, the kits, the sponsors etc. have all been completely re-designed around Red Bull, and they then cloned the kits and the badge etc for New York Red Bull too
  • Sponsored links:

• Isn't this the stadium with an end named after Colin Bell?
  • King Power Stadium anyone?

• Of course it bloody matters what it's called. It would hardly have worked forming a political party in 1990 if we'd had to call it 'The Woolwich Building Society Party' or 'The Viglen Computers Party', would it? Bloody hell, get your priorities straight: What's more important: a part of the club's history or buying another player?

I don't think the Man City or Arsenal fans would take it so easily if it were Highbury or Maine Road whose names were changed.

Spot on for me
  • Now to be known as "The Etihad Stadium" - which tranbslates from Arabic to "The United Stadium"

They'll love that!

Not long before we're all living in the "Etihad Kingdom", once the European Union collapses.

Spot on for me
    Really? A rose by any other name and all that, surely? Christ, let the club go out of business or face another relegation, but at least The Valley is still called The Valley.
  • Know what you're saying Saga but how long before everything is sold out. As Charlton supporters we are maybe more precious about our ground and it is sacred. 

Wouldnt want some soulless corporation coming along bunging us some dosh and The Valley having it's name and history bastardised for a few quid. 

Of course if it came down to going out of business then id reconsider but if it came to it and the only way we could survive was buy selling out that much i question my enthusiasm for the game by that stage.  Sadly think its heading that way and i dont like it.

• We're on the same page Rodders - I wish we could go back, but we have to accept the reality, the way the world is today. The thing is, we'll all know it's The Valley - they can call it what they like.
  • When you put it like that it's hard to disagree.  One thing i couldnt stomach would be a move to a new ground though especially one of the modern, identi-kit monstrosoties that are increasingly popular.

Would sooner have a sex change ;-)

• Another one Rodders? What to this time?