Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

When feeling on a low....

Any one have some advice for picking yourself up on a low?

This might be a little deep but always good to hear peoples ideas on what they do when life seems pretty bad....

Some may call it depression but how do people always seem to be 'happy'...

Comments

• Options
    edited July 2011
    Any one have some advice for picking yourself up on a low?

This might be a little deep but always good to hear peoples ideas on what they do when life seems pretty bad....

Some may call it depression but how do people always seem to be 'happy'...
    Some people are good / better at it at hiding their woes i guess, when life is crap its good to remember good times/memories , things do pass , everyone gets down at times.
  • Options
    Think of all the good things in your life & reasons to be thankful. Think of those that are worse off than you. Always try and take a positive from every situation.
  • Options
    Talk it over with those close to you, never bottle it up. Chances are whatever is troubling you when out in the open you will see it was not a huge problem. 

We all have those black days when it all seems flat, talk it over it really works :)
  • Options
    Play the Centenary DVD - works every time.
  • Options
    Keep busy, if it's a break up then do everything uv always wanted to asap and have fun before you get trapped in another stifling relationship
  • Options
    1) Speak to those closest to you about it - a problem shared is a problem halved.
    2) Keep busy
    3) Head outside - especially if the weather is nice...get into the countryside for a weekend
    4) Don't drink booze and eat healthily
  • Options

all good advice so far. as said talk things through with someone you feel you can trust. if there isnt anyone that you feel you can talk to because you feel either embarassed or you dont want them to worry, consider seeking support from your g.p. there are different options available from your g.p, from trying a 'mild' anti-depressant to start with or speaking with a trained counsellor. in my view talking is best and never keep bottling things up! dont expect to be able to leave things and expect them to just somehow sort themselves out. changes take place when you make changes. be proactive and you will feel better, simply from taking control of the situation. there is nothing worse than feeling that there is nothing you can do about it. just remember if things dont feel right, it's probably because they aren't! as said never drink alcohol in this mood, it,s a depressant and will lower your mood further.

by the way, you are very far from being on your own with feelings like this. i'm sat in a & e waiting for numerous patients to be referred to me.

• Options
    Thanks for the words guys.

I guess life throws us things sometimes....
  • Options

just another thought. if low mood persists for at least a few weeks without picking up, it could well be depression. then it's something that 'may' require extra help. in any case i'd always steer you in the direction of your g.p, whilst they aren't always highly skilled in mental health, they can refer you on to someone that is. if your g.p is not helpful or you dont feel you are taken seriously, consider changing g.p's. (worst case scenario - go to your local a & e dept and ask to speak direct with a mental health worker / crisis team, they are 24 hrs)

• Options
    Exercise. Endorphins.

And get creative.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

I suffer from what I call 'the black dog" days, as do most of my family.

I just concentrate on telling myself my world is all ok, and to acknowledge the feeling of 'being sad' as just being one of those days. I just dont let it consume me anymore. I accept it and that helps me move on and concentrate on the day better.

I have a wonderful GP who has helped me. As suggested by others, get things off your chest.

Good luck, I know it can be hard at times to shake the feeling, but you can. 

• Options

Go for a walk or a run (considering i am a fat bstd) walking always helps clear my head when i am feeling things can get a bit much, Its all about the Endorphines as chunes has mentioned sometimes i can be gone for hours just walking it really does help.

Always talk to someone worst thing to do is to let things go over and over in your mind,

Everyone feels shit at times everyone feels that there is an issue they wont over come, but remember that theres an answer for everything you just havent found it yet

• Options
    watch the dvd of us sending Palace down , if that doesn't work nothing will
  • Options
    We've all been there mate, especially a happy chappy like me. In fact, about 4 years ago, I was suicidal (and for once it wasn't to do with Charlton)

Is there a specific reason you are feeling low? Work, family, relationship etc ?

I can't recommend talking to the closest people in your life more highly. That's what they are there for and that is what helped me sort my life out.
  • Options

I realise this might come across as being flippant, " new age" or just plain rubbish but I once read that repeating positive mantras help to clear your mind of negative thoughts when you can't seem to focus on anything positive.

I have used them in the past with some success so if you want to give it a go, this is what I say, either out loud ( when you're alone!) or in your head :

" I love myself and I approve of everything I do. I'm entering the winning circle" ( 3 times)

" I choose to be well" ( 3 times)

" I'm willing to release the patterns in me which create my condition " ( 3 times)

Sounds a bit silly, I know but maybe worth a go ?

Really know how you feel mate and am very much a " black & white " person myself - few grey areas for me - just highs & lows IYKWIM.

GP prescribed some happy pills a few years ago ( replacing lack of serotonin) & boy, do I wish I'd known about these earlier ! Not 100% effective of course but certainly took the edge off the negativity for me. There is a natural supplement you could try , available at Holland & Barrett called 5-HTP

Good luck whatever you choose to do .

• Options
    When I am really down (not often but it does happen)  I hug my kids or one of our cats, or if that does not work I go and break up cardboard boxes which is very cathartic
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    When my marriage broke up years ago and my ex denied me seeing my then very young children, I got really low.
    My GP gave me some very good advice:

"Get out of the house - and go and help someone who would really appreciate your help".
    Best advice I ever received.

If you've had little kids ........ remember when they fall over and graze their knee?
    There's tears, but pick them up, hug and kiss them better - then distract them and do something completely different.
    They quickly forget what's happened, as they get involved in something else.

As adults we are no different.
    And the best way to distract yourself ........ is to go and help somebody else.

• Options
    When my marriage broke up years ago and my ex denied me seeing my then very young children, I got really low.
    My GP gaveme some very good advice:

"Get out of the house - and go and help someone who would really appreciate your help".

If you've had little kids ........ remember when they fall over and graze their knee?
    There's tears, but pick them up, hug and kiss them better - then distract them and do something completely different.

That is fantastic advice, help someone else and ride the wave of positivity it brings.  Easy way to feel good about yourself
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    "That is fantastic advice, help someone else and ride the wave of positivity it brings.  Easy way to feel good about yourself"
    Thank you, cfgs.

And the best part is, when somebody really appreciates what you've done by helping them (or better still doing something together with them)-they make you feel truly valued.
  • Options
    It also helps if you can find someone to put your woes into perspective
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Remember the words of Winston Churchill who often suffered from what he called the "black dog";

"When you are going through hell, sometimes it's best just to keep going".

• Options
    I often find myself in the same boat, everythg looking bleak and shite and problems mounting here there and everywhere and a said above the black dog descends. only thing i can sugges as said above is 1. dont bottle it up clear the air you will feel so much better, 2. dont laugh but was told about St Johns Wort, you can buy it from most herbal/helath shops holland and barretss ect, take it regulary as i do and after a week you will really feel a little bit better god knows how it works but really picked my up when was on a massive downer.
  • Options

Oggy, fancy coming round and mowing my lawn ?

Some excellent advice on here Cray, good luck mate. Remember, no matter how either bad or dreary life can be, you genuinely never know what's round the corner. Things can change very quickly. If you adopt a determination to attack things, they can change even quicker still.

• Options
    Thanks gents.

Good to know I'm not the only one who has down moments...

Appreciate the time you guys have taken to write.
  • Options
    There's  some great advice here, and mine might seem prosaic compared to what's gone before, but some musical therapy could do the trick. I'd try to avoid anything by Nick Drake though. Shout To The Top by the Style Council might sound like a poppy piece of Weller fluff, but the lyrics say it all about lifting yourself up from the bottom and, you know, shouting to the top. It's an inspiring song. (I probably haven't help much, have I?)
  • Options
    My GP gave me some very good advice:

To anyone, feeling even the smallest bit "down" this is what really worked for me.  My marriage broken down in 2008 and I moved back to the UK a complete wreck.  Out of the blue I was offered the chance to do some VSO charity work. I have never looked back.  

That said somedays it seems only natural that we are a bit down, and finding your own (best) way to deal with that when it happens is very important. 
    Talking about those days works for me.  reminding myself of how bad it could have been really puts life (mind) into perspective.  
  • Options
    AFKABartram:

Oggy, fancy coming round and mowing my lawn ?

Sure, Danny. Be round in 10 mins. Put the kettle on.
  • Options
    Meditating, some people banner it under mindfulness or others go deeper into the bhuddist phillosophy.  Really it's not that hard can be just sitting in a chair comfortably, concentrating on your breathing - say just being aware of the feeling of the breath and the sensation in your nose - and count each breath silently going from one to ten .  Then do the same on the exhalation of each breath.

It really is simple, and although you don't have to work hard on it, if you do practice when you're happy its a lot easier to regulate and calm yourself when your depressed and your concentration is like shit.

Personally same as most of these guys, doing some exercise.  But if exercise seems too much of a burden, then going out for a simple walk preferrably in a park or countryside is best.  You can even combine the breathing exercises with the walking and that really increases the effectiveness. 

Read about a guy who never kept milk in the house, so he had to go out and buy it every day.  He felt if he got out the house, then he knew he could get through the day with some positivity.  If you can think of little strategies like this it can really help.

Something I've never looked into but is highly redommended is Moodscope, an online tool.  It's similar to what the guys are talking about above, telling your close friends and family about how you feel.  Moodscope tracks your moods day to day, you choose and record your moods.  The great little thing about it is that when you decide your truly down it alerts your friends and family - I think by email.  This can strip down the boorish hatred of telling people how you feel.  Point being people know how low you are and can then ring you up or just get in touch any way they can.  Plus they say recording your moods will just show you how transient they are, and how during good times you don't remember the bad and vise versa.  Oh the human condition!

Here's a link to the Radio 4 program on Moodscope and the actual website homepage;

http://www.moodscope.com/radio_4_midweek_11_05_11.mp3

http://www.moodscope.com/

GP's can be great, I have some history with family members going through mental health problems, whilst you should always go to GPs first the perscription of modern anti-depressants don't work for a lot of people.  All too often they will offer you one of the family of drugs like Prozac, this may work for some people but if not really you need to become a bit more aware of your mood swings and learn a bit more about it.  Contact Mind, and do your own research, you'll be better informed and better able to discuss with your GP the right course of action.  Hopefully just implementing some of the above strategies, and other strategies that others have mentioned they'll be a lot more use than popping a pill.

http://www.mind.org.uk

• Options

I really understand where you're coming from ColinTat regarding " popping pills" but had to say that for me, they have DEFINITELY changed the way I feel when I wake up in the morning/encounter a problem etc . Not for everyone but supplementing your serotonin in some way can make all the difference to a " highs & lows" person like me . Only take a low dosage and GP states it is non addictive.

It's a case of working out what does it for YOU .

• Options
    There's an old adage ......."You get what you focus on".

Think about it.    If your situation or what you're dwelling on is bringing you down ........Focus on something else.
    Get out of the house. Do something else. See someone else.

Just try not to think about yourself all the time.