Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Most exciting new signing so far?

edited June 2011 in General Charlton
Over the last couple of weeks we have witnessed an array of new unheard of, but in most cases young promising recruits to valley. But who of Chris Powell's new charges will go on to be big hit at the Valley?
Personally from the very little I have seen and heard so far, Danny Hollands and Dale Stephens are the two I’m most looking forward seeing in the famous red shirt.
To be honest though I probably couldn’t pick any of them out of an identify line up but I’m looking forward to seeing them take us back to the championship!
COYR

Comments

• Options
    Danny Green for me, i've liked him for a while and when it was confirmed i did have a big smile.
  • Options
    I'd like to see Mikel Alonso in action before I decide he's rubbish ;0)
  • Options
    I'm thinking the Welling game will be sold out to lots of Charlton fans desperate to see the new signings in action. I'm like you CH4LTON, I don't really know these players.
  • Options
    Paul Hayes
  • Options
    Whilst it appears we have now pulled out of our nosedive and seem to be heading in the right direction, I am being very cautious. This team being assembled looks great on paper, however that's just it....it's on paper! Surely our recent history should tell us to wait and see what happens?!?

Not all of these signings will be good....one or two (maybe more) will disappoint. I was thinking last night about the 85/86 season when Lennie took us up to the old first division despite the move to shitehurst. He signed Humphrey & Pender from Wolves, Pearson from Sheff Wed, Reid from Celtic, Shipley from Lincoln and Loveridge from Swansea. The latter played very little, but I seem to recall he was greeted as some kind of superstar! Pearson started well, but lets face it he was a bit of a donkey. Pender did ok, but didn't exactly set the world on fire and Shipley also did ok when used, but he was vying with Rob Lee & Mark Stuart for a game! For me Humphrey & Reid were fantastic and went on to perform well at the higher level.

So what I'm trying to say is, of the 8 signings we've made so far it's highly unlikely that they will all excel. Sorry to be a bit pessamistic, but I don't want to get carried away as some people on here are! We've not been "fixed" yet!
  • Options
    Danny green and rhoys wiggins
  • Options

John Pearson was our top scorer in the promotion season - I think it was something like 16 goals and he set up a few and in particular linked well with Melrose when he was signed on/around deadline day.

But you are right, we are playing on paper at the moment, but to stetch an analogy we are in the process of building something interesting and exciting, but the first step is always to get the design right.

The signings look to fit several criteria - they are young so can and should mature and the odd disappointment will be compensated by someone training on and they look like good football players. After CP came in results as we know were disappointing, but i did detect that he was trying to get the team to play a certain way with the ball on the deck a bit more and played to feet rather than hoofted around.

We aren't there yet with the squad building and there'll be a few indifferent performances on the way, but it looks like the planning and preparation element has been thought through.

• Options
    Stephens for me

He's really kind of gone under the radar but I think he's going to be a great piece of business

But in honesty I am impressed and pleased with ALL of them
  • Options
    I think Wiggins as Watford matched our bid according to reports
    .. yet he still went for us
  • Options
    I think it's more a case that we matched what Watford were prepared to pay, giving us the right to speak to him. How negotiations went after that who knows. That he chose a L1 side over a CCC team is a big plus for us, but maybe we simply offered more money, a bigger signing on fee and perhaps one or two other inducements that Watford couldn't match?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Stephens for me

He's really kind of gone under the radar but I think he's going to be a great piece of business

But in honesty I am impressed and pleased with ALL of them

Even Pritchard? ;-)
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    I think it's more a case that we matched what Watford were prepared to pay, giving us the right to speak to him. How negotiations went after that who knows. That he chose a L1 side over a CCC team is a big plus for us, but maybe we simply offered more money, a bigger signing on fee and perhaps one or two other inducements that Watford couldn't match?

Agree but also shows that we are a club on the up and up, whilst Watford ....
  • Options
    Watford are going to struggle next season, but apparently Wiggins is a Watford fan, he might just therefore know a little bit more about what's going on behind the scenes there. I'm happy that he chose us and that he perhaps was sold on the vision and where he could be in a year or two rather than next season.
  • Options
    Ability: Paul Hayes - we've been lacking someone who can link midfield and attack for a while now
    Statement of Intent: Rhoys Wiggins
  • Options
    Green and Wiggins are the most exiting for me, the most important however is harder to decide and I have a feeling it will be Hollands.
  • Options
    Alonso, for all the promise that the name offers! Green - hype makes him to be a world beater and looking forward to it.

sadly Paul hayes does nothing for me, I think its the surname that kills it.
  • Options

All these signings for me have been excellent, the only concern I have is this is pretty much a brand new team.  Getting them to gel is a very hard thing to do (look at the difference with Southampton between early/late season and with less player turnaround). 

This will really be CP's biggest test of if he can cut it.  Expectation from us fans and a board that have spent a lot will be hugely inflated on what it already was!  I really hope CP can do it though, I am so desperate for him to succeed here.  I hope that if things don't start with 5 straight wins that there is no over-reaction.

• Options
    But then Southampton were managed by Pardew
  • Options

Rohys Wiggins for me purely based on the fact the he seems to have turned a club in a higher league for us. 

Seems like we've out sold the club over many rivals with a lot of this signings and it's impressed me as makes me believe that the board and management have really got a vision and the foundation to back it up.

• Options
    edited July 2011

All these signings for me have been excellent, the only concern I have is this is pretty much a brand new team.  Getting them to gel is a very hard thing to do (look at the difference with Southampton between early/late season and with less player turnaround). 

This will really be CP's biggest test of if he can cut it.  Expectation from us fans and a board that have spent a lot will be hugely inflated on what it already was!  I really hope CP can do it though, I am so desperate for him to succeed here.  I hope that if things don't start with 5 straight wins that there is no over-reaction.

Of course its true that getting them to gel is the hardest thing but, by moving early in the transfer market, we have them at the start of pre-season - thus the optimum time for getting the gelling process to work.

In addition most are young but experienced pros. I think that kind of cohort of players is more easily "gelable" - than an older group - if you get my drift?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    For me has to be Wiggins. My watford supporting mate informs me that Rhoys was at Watford all yesterday morning but still decided to snub them for us!
  • Options

Yes Bing, both are factors that help quicken the process.  Having about 8/9 completely new names in a team line up will still take a decent amount of time to get up to full speed.  I just fear that CP won't get the time he needs.

• Options
    Whilst it appears we have now pulled out of our nosedive and seem to be heading in the right direction, I am being very cautious. This team being assembled looks great on paper, however that's just it....it's on paper! Surely our recent history should tell us to wait and see what happens?!?

Not all of these signings will be good....one or two (maybe more) will disappoint. I was thinking last night about the 85/86 season when Lennie took us up to the old first division despite the move to shitehurst. He signed Humphrey & Pender from Wolves, Pearson from Sheff Wed, Reid from Celtic, Shipley from Lincoln and Loveridge from Swansea. The latter played very little, but I seem to recall he was greeted as some kind of superstar! Pearson started well, but lets face it he was a bit of a donkey. Pender did ok, but didn't exactly set the world on fire and Shipley also did ok when used, but he was vying with Rob Lee & Mark Stuart for a game! For me Humphrey & Reid were fantastic and went on to perform well at the higher level.

So what I'm trying to say is, of the 8 signings we've made so far it's highly unlikely that they will all excel. Sorry to be a bit pessamistic, but I don't want to get carried away as some people on here are! We've not been "fixed" yet!
    Sorry Arry, I get your point but I think your recollection of some of these players differs from mine.

Pearson was not a "donkey" - he was the top goalscorer in our promotion winning team, was therefore instrumental in our gaining promotion and was a good target man.  Shipley also played an instrumental part in our promotion winning team and also played regularly the following season - he made over 60 appearances for us in two seasons, which proves that. Pender was also a good player, although after we got promoted he lost his place because we signed the legend that is Peter Shirtliff (which is understandable!)

Completely agree about Humphrey and Reid though - two really quality full backs and excellent signings.

Sorry to be pedantic, but they were very much "my" team!
  • Options

IIRC Pender had a long term injury and was out for the first two/three months after promotion and was then shipped on to Bristol City (or Rovers?) after a few games.

• Options
    Given a standing start I think it's a no brainer. Everything about Charlton says better than Watford. Fanbase, stadium, recent and past history, location, potential. They are in a league higher than us for now but not showing any sign of progress upwards. There are teams that I think are of comparable stature to Charlton, the likes of Norwich, Saints, Forest, Ipswich and should any of the last three been in for some of our new boys then I doubt they would have signed for us but to think we can't compete with teams like Watford, Millwall, Doncaster and Peterborough is doing ourselves down a bit too much. Were Millwall able to offer Racon more ? Maybe but maybe not. It's what they and us were prepared to pay that's important. It seems to me that CP and the board had very strong ideas of what players they wanted and therefore Racon and indeed Semedo were perhaps wanted but only very much on our terms. the term used by Slater and Jimenez in January of " evolution not revolution" is very evident in our recent transfer activity and I am very hopeful for the future based on everything I have seen so far from this new board. If I wanted to be controversial then quite honestly the only thing I don't understand that the board have done is appoint Chris Powell. Hope it works out for him and us but still very strange choice given everything else they have done.
  • Options
    It's a tough one, but we've lacked a real creative midfielder for a few years now, last I can remember is Andy Reid, so for me Dale Stephens.
  • Options
    Dale Stephens
  • Options
    Alonso, I think he will turn out to be class for us, an Arteta of League 1 but less injury prone
  • Options

All 9 of them... SO EXCITED!

• Options
    i think alonso will stick out as the player with constant class. will be a calming figure in the midfield and will try and keep possesion, something we have been missing for a long long time.

green and stephens will produce moments of magic im sure, but alonso, like his brother, will do the simple experienced thing that i love when watching a game.