Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Could Matt Fry be one of our centre backs?

edited June 2011 in General Charlton
Prefers CB over LB. Young but talented. Got some leadership qualities about him and knows the club and we know him

What say you guys?

Comments

• I say aye 

would have him back
  • Think it's a fair shout...but CP didn't play him much at CB, even when we were short. But then it did make sense to play our own players (Fortune & Llera) before a youth loanee.

Maybe Jiminez and/or Vetere have somebody more experienced, or dare I say it better, lined up?!?!
  • I didn't rate him at all
  • Would be decent cover, but shouldn't be a first-team player.
  • Started well , but lost confidence and performance when continually played at left back ( out of position) should we sign him , judging by our standard of signings , maybe , but can we do better?
  • would we want him as a first choice? being a loanee if he gets called back were left in a rut, it wouldn't surprise me if he applies himself he'd get into the west ham team.

think the place we shouldn't get loans in is cb unless unavoidable.
  • edited June 2011

Started well at LB and had a good game at CB v Notts County (despite the pen he was impressive) but faded a lot and by the end was pleased to see him go back to West Ham. Guess he was a symbol of our downfall post mid Feb as he looked a liability in his last few games, however would still have him back as a possible CB as think there is a fair bit of potential there.

• Nah...Not for me. Not big enough and not quick enough to be a centre half in this division
  • edited July 2011
    I thought he started brightly but got worse as the season went on last year to the extent when I was quite glad when he went back and we brought in bessone. I'd say there will be better options out there. Legge, the Colchester CB or Darren Ward would be preferred by me.
  •  

Will he get a chance at Wham this season ? I could see him being in the mix for them in the CCC.

If not I'd love him back as one of our four cbs especially as he can put in a shift as an emegency lb.

I think the fact he played most of his games out of position was commendable but as others have observed Powell moved him on once Bessone became fit .

However this was in the context of us having 6 loanees so Powell was really trying to patch up the squad with another Keeper and forward so maybe felt that with 4 senior cb's that this area was not the priority until now when at least half of them will be replaced.

• Sponsored links:

• I think West Ham will want him so it's academic, he'll be a decent player at CCC level. He started off well last season but the mistakes and poor games increased as the season drew on - I don't think it was a case of his being found out, just a bit of inexperience and tiredness and he was hardly playing in a good defence, or team.
  • thinking about it do we really want our loan signing to be bench warmers
    ... or should they be first team players

Fry (imo) would not start so maybe not a great move after all
  • I'd hope we can get better but he is a decent player.

He was only 19/20, seemed to have the right attitude, he will improve. He's 6 ft, same as Dailly and Sodje, and he can still get stronger. Alongside a beast centre back he'll do a good job for a team in this league.

Remember Martin Cranie? Got quite a bit of criticism but he's been playing in the Championship for a few years now. Both the type who will never really stand out but in the right team can probably be reliable players.
  • Tweet from Matt Fry today....

After being left out of the tour to Switzerland with no explanation. My recovery session is done and now for lunch with uncle Bob
    Twitter for iPhone • 08/07/2011 11:11
  • i think maybe Sam didn't feel he was fit and ready for a trip to Switzerland (Matt mentions about "my recovery session is done"
  • remember who is manager at West Ham now, I suspect he doesn't fit the 6ft 5" lump of a player that he will want to smash the ball up to
  • edited July 2011
    I would take Fry up with eggs Norwegian international Tom Ato. A rasher re-signing would be Thierry Bacon. It could be funded by multi millionaire Sean Bean's cash. I dont think there is mush room for a place for him in midfield.
  • Please god no.. overrated player!
  • i think maybe Sam didn't feel he was fit and ready for a trip to Switzerland (Matt mentions about "my recovery session is done"
    No Doubt but should have explained it though
  • I thought a recovery session was just to warm your body down? As in if you played a game yesterday you would have a recovery session today in the pool etc.

So maybe he had a heavy session yesterday and was having a recovery today not that he was injured which would exaplin why he was a bit miffed about not being taken to Switzerland.

I'm probably wrong though.

• Sponsored links:

• you are most prob right  Plaaayer as he had tweeted about a "long session" beforehand so that was what he would mean by recovery (ie warm down). I would think Elthamaddik would be right on the mark on this one maybe he has reeieived an offer for him from somewhere (I woildnt have though us) and Sam has pulled him out of the tour.
  • Can't see him coming back - his form deteriorated badly under Chris Powell - another from the past who we need to forget - move on - we're putting together a completely new squad
  • Fry in at centre back would be good for depth. Definitely not at left back though, the boy is a liability there
  • Fry vs RedZed on twitter now
  • Matt Fry is a good addition as a centre back. He should just never be played as left back. As a player, I don't he should be judged on his performances at left back. It is good that he has played as a left back as he understands the position, but he just doesn't have the pace that a full back needs to contend with a quick winger.

As a centre back, I would welcome him back, but really I am happy that we are building a side not dependent on loans.
  • Fry spent today on trial with Gillingham, who need some new defenders by all accounts (and by judging what happened to them on Saturday).

Thought Fry was decent last year and could definately do a job in League 2.
  • He played against us for the Gills in the 1-1 at Priestfield 3 years ago.
  • I remember he played at CB v Notts County and was MOM, always wondered why he never got another chance in that position,,,,decent young CB, over to you SCP!!
  • I remember he played at CB v Notts County and was MOM, always wondered why he never got another chance in that position,,,,decent young CB, over to you SCP!!
    I remember that as well and couldn't understand why he wasn't used there again.
  • edited January 2012
    According to Fry on Twitter West Ham want him to go on loan to get games .

If he became available in the summer I'd love him to return.The Kent Messenger article is pasted below

Gillingham manager Andy Hessenthaler could turn to a former player as he searches for an answer to his defensive problems.

West Ham centre-back Matt Fry lined up for Gillingham’s reserve side on Tuesday afternoon in a 1-0 defeat to a Millwall XI.

Fry (pictured) enjoyed a successful loan stint for the Gills during the 2009/10 season under previous manager Mark Stimson.

Last season he played 25 games for Charlton Athletic in League 1 during another loan spell.

Gillingham have maintained close links with former assistant manager Ian Hendon, who is now development manager with West Ham.

Fry, 21, has yet to feature for West Ham’s first team and could be brought to Priestfield in time for their trip to Accrington on Saturday.

Hessenthaler is keen to strengthen his back-line following a 4-3 defeat to Wimbledon at the weekend.

The Gills also fielded fellow West Ham defender Jordan Brown in the game against Millwall at Priestfield. He spent the first half of this season on loan at Aldershot.

Another trialists in the match was former TNS winger Ryan Marriott.

The only goal of the game was scored by Danny N’Guessan with a second half header.

*The Gills also sent a young team to West Ham’s Upton Park on Tuesday where they drew 1-1.