Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Was the Zabeel deal really dead in the water?

edited June 2011 in General Charlton

With all this spending over recent days and what with the takeover last year i was wondering if the Arab investors really did get cold feet?

Who's to say the the money men behind Jimenez and Slater aren't the Arab investor firm or at least some of those connected.

I know we are not spending tens of millions (and we couldn't anyway because players wouldn't drop to league one) but we are getting the cream of the crop from the lower leagues and their wages must be very good for them all to be saying yes.

Just a thought.

Comments

• Sometimes you can't save to success, the money being spent imo is arsenal money, no big secret really we got dish upfront and put it straight back in to players, a gamble on season tickets increasing to cover the wages plus a few extra quid from a few of the investors is more likely, once players start to see a club going for it the choice of staying at a club that over achievedlike bournemouth becomes a bit disillusional

They want to join in with something with potential, we have sold thevdeal potential and had a few quid in which to do it
  • Yes that is very likely but that does not explain who the invesors behind Jiminez are. Not that i care who they are for one minute , as long as they are here for the long term.
  • With all this spending over recent days and what with the takeover last year i was wondering if the Arab investors really did get cold feet?

Who's to say the the money men behind Jimenez and Slater aren't the Arab investor firm or at least some of those connected.

I know we are not spending tens of millions (and we couldn't anyway because players wouldn't drop to league one) but we are getting the cream of the crop from the lower leagues and their wages must be very good for them all to be saying yes.

Just a thought.

If they are behind S&J then why domicile the club in the BVI? And surely we'd have seen some strange looking Arabian people in the directors box? I don't see why they would be so secretive, but saying that I don't see why anyone would buy a football club and try and hide their ownership of it.

I've been impressed with they type of purchase - other than Alonso (who perhaps was brought in to add a bit of experience) these are all players who can be developed and so although we are spending money I wouldn't be surprised to see one or two get sold on at a decent profit in a season or two and pay for itself that way. Other than the odd home grown player we haven't done that in a while and mostly we've been picking up players either cheaply or on frees to plug gaps. The make do and mend approach has seen us have one bad season after another, I think I'm right that for the last five/six seasons we finished in a lower position than we did the previous year so the new ownership has brought with it a new strategy of buying good quality players and training them up.

• The other possibility is that they could develop with Charlton and propel us to where we belong.
  •  

The other possibility is that they could develop with Charlton and propel us to where we belong.

It's a nice thought.
  • Thought Bessone had indicated that he thought he was better than league 1