Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

2 new good CB's more important than ever now

edited June 2011 in General Charlton
Cos once the other teams see the strength of our midfield, they're all going to try and bypass it by playing the long ball. So two new, good, strong CB's very important now.

Comments

• To be honest with what we've done in the market so far I have absolutely no doubt that come August 6th we will have a near enough complete squad in every manner that we need.

I've got complete trust in whoever is identifying these targets and complete trust in who is paying for them... we need at least 2 permanent centre halves as you say and perhaps another younger CB prepared to sit on the bench and compete for a place whilst still developing.  I have no doubt looking at how aggressively we've handled this post-season both will be acquired within a month.
  • I'm still expecting 3 CB's, 1 LM, 1LB, 1 STR.

I don't think we need another LM necessarily with Evina and Jackson both able to play there. A left back (ideally Wiggins), striker (ideally Donaldson) and three centre halves, agreed.
  • There's still the loan system to play with and I'm expecting the tie-up with Udinese to bear some fruit

In an ideal world I agree with that but would probably tinker slightly to do without a left back and get another striker on loan.
  • It's a priority now that's for sure. It's the only area where we cant cope with what we currently have. I am also very impressed with how things have been handled so far by the club and have every confidence wheels are in motion to sign the required quality needed. Only other position I really hope is added to is another striker. If we lose BWP through injury I worry that we have enough goals about us from our strikers. Well done Charlton so far IMHO.
  • I'm still wondering if we'll cash in on BWP, seeing as he only has a year left on his contract. I remember the likes of Reading and Posh were interested in the past.
  • god i hope not mart. we've spent enough for this midfield, but pointless if theres noone to put the ball in the net.  BWP is our main striker and will be vital if we want promotion. goalscorers are like rocking horse shite and we are lucky enough to have one, lets not let him go!
  • Would be madness to let BWP leave unless we have a guaranteed 20 goal a season striker in the bag because BWP is the type of striker that can fire us to promotion. Can't see the other two being as prolific.
  • Stop being so negative mart!
  • Sponsored links:

• We'd be nuts to let BWP go , unless someone offered silly money of say £3 million.
  • I expect to see 4 more players, 3 ch's and a utility player sign full time with us, I then expect to see scp's god son something ansah I believeand the job will be complete, until Jan
  • I hope that, having just brought a cracking midfield, we don't then go and get rid of the likeliest candidate to take advantage of that and bag a horde of goals as a result - that wouldn't make much sense at all and would surely be far too short sighted an option for those in charge to entertain at all.

It would be great if you are right, Mart.  I think that ISaw is right though; I can see one or two young loanees arriving at the club - especially to augment our forward line.  If we are going to be playing the right kind of football, then this will make us more attractive to the teams looking to loan out some of their loan talent as well.

• We absolutely need two or three CBs. They should have experience, quick and be able to acheive in league one. We should not let BWP go it would be madness and i agree i reckon he is a 20 goals a season striker.
  • If the rumour about Doc going is true then we need 4 CBs. Still have a sneaky feeling Daily will be one of them. 2 perm and a loan needed if that is the case.

Defo want another striker, personally think it will be a signing. 4 strikers still feels short to me. So perhaps a loan as well.

Out and out left winger and if Wiggins is available him.

Might be a bit much too ask!
  • Stop being so negative mart!

Not being negative, simply stating that i'll be suprised if we don't get an approach from another club for him. I'd personally tie him to a new deal and further add to the feel good vibe.

• mart why buy a good winger to cross the ball to BWP then well doesnt sound right too me! ;-)
  • to be fair mart wasnt sayin we should sell him, more what the club would do if put in the position where they can sell him!
  • How do our signings/squad look to the three relegated teams?
  • to be fair mart wasnt sayin we should sell him, more what the club would do if put in the position where they can sell him!
    Yes VG, especially when I see players like Baldock valued at £1.2 mill. Like I've said I hope we go the new deal route to fend off potential suitors.

P.S. for those who think we have enough midfielders, I think its worth remembering that CP sees JJ as a CM and that's why I mention the need for a LM.
  • Sponsored links:

• Osbourne and Legge would have the benefit of them coming as a ready made pairing.

Pretty sure there are names on a list. Some clubs and agents we will be playing poker with. We want deals done NOW but everyone is trying for the best deal for themselves including us.

I'd be happy to have Dailly as back up and if Doc leaves maybe another young CB as a standby but we need two ready to play CHs. They may not come till 31 August or they might come tomorrow.

There was a lot of panic over the past few weeks but things are falling into place. Not there yet but Roma was built in a day.
  • now we have a midfield rather than the non existent shambles of last year, we may be able to attract the sort of CB's we want - make any sense?

• I still think Dailly will begin the season as one of the first choice CH, which wouldn't bother me if he had a youngster along side him.