Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton's Five Worst Premiership Signings

edited June 2011 in General Charlton

If trying to determine the four best Premiership signings seemed difficult enough, attempting to whittle the worst signings down to four proved far too great a challenge, so a bonus fifth had to be included. The initial temptation was simply to take the approach ‘everything associated with Dowie’, but though in jest, that proved to be far more accurate than i first expected !

So with honourable mentions for Neil Redfearn, Karim Bagheri, Jesper Blomquist, Chris Bart-Williams, El Khalej, Marcus Bent, Simon Walton and Omar Pouso, these are my five worst Premiership signings:

5. Cory Gibbs

Some would say it is unjust to include a player who didn’t put a foot wrong for the club, but the truth was that Gibbs didn’t put a foot anywhere other than on the physio’s treatment table. The USA international defender spent over two years with the club after signing with Feyenoord and did not make a single appearance in that time. He did manage to score though during his time in England, and is now married to former Mis-Teeq singer Zena McNally who he met whilst injured. Since leaving Charlton, Gibbs has since resurrected his career in the MLS, featuring for Colorado Rapids, New England Revolution and Chicago Fire.

4. Francis Jeffers

One of the few Curbishley got wrong. Previously known as ‘the fox in the box’, Jeffers went on to become ‘the sub in the pub’ during his ill-fated move to Charlton. Having failed to impress on his big move to Arsenal, Alan Curbishley paid £2.6m for a player he described as ‘hungry’. Little did Curbishley know at the time that he was in fact ‘thirsty’, as Jeffers spent more time in South London pubs and clubs than he did appearing on the pitch, and famously after being stretchered off during a game duly emerged on the dancefloor of The Venue nightclub just a few hours later. Two years with the club heralded just 3 goals from 20 appearances, and Jeffers has failed throughout his career to come close to reaching the potential he originally showed as a youngster at Everton.

3. Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink

Some signings looked doomed from the start while others simply just don’t work out. On paper, Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink looked a solid signing having scored 18 goals for Middlesbrough in the previous 2005-06 season, and not scored less than 15 goals a season since 1996, averaging 22 goals a season over a ten year period. But like an expert City Trader, Middlesbrough knew when to close a position and Charlton acquired a player who was a shadow of his former self. His goals dried up, scoring just 4 in 29 games, while his backside was expanding more rapidly than Starbucks in the 90s. A high wage earner, Jimmy Floyd Piggybank proved an expensive mistake as Charlton were relegated from the Premiership.

2. Djimi Traore

Yet another Dowie disaster. Traore arrived at Charlton following a £2m move from Liverpool in the fateful summer of 2006. Whilst supporters concentrated in advance of the season that he was a Champions League winner, evidence once the season began quickly suggested we should have concentrated on his calamity own goal for Liverpool in the cup versus Burnley. Sent off during the first half of his debut at Upton Park, things failed to improve for Traore as the season progressed and Charlton regressed. He was offloaded after just 11 appearances and five months with the club to the tune of a million pound loss. 

1. Amdy Faye

Amdy Faye arrived at Charlton a poor player and left a shadow of his former self. Nicknamed ‘the warrior’, this fan turned into ‘the worrier’ every time Faye got near the ball as the fundamental skills of being able to trap a ball and pass it to a team mate proved alien to the one-time Senegalese international. Faye was known as a ‘defensive midfielder,’ which was a polite reference to his scoring prowess of one goal in the last eight years, rather than praising his protective foil. The madness of Iain Dowie paying £2m should have been enough of an excuse for his immediate dismissal. Earning £1m a year, trying to offload Faye following the inevitable relegation proved as difficult as trying to sell a house with subsidence, no roof, with a psychopath drummer for a next-door neighbour.  Nothing short of an extremely costly disaster, the carelessness of Faye’s signing and the lack of lessons learned are the epitome of why Charlton went from a settled Premiership team to a League One also-ran in just a handful of seasons. Faye is currently a free agent.

Comments

• Options
    Neil Redfearn
    Simon Walton
  • Options
    That was easy - now do one for our last Championship run and for the current run in League One. Maybe make it a top (or should that be bottom) 50 (including loans)?
  • Options
    very good.

you will be damned to hell for including Cory Gibbs especially when you had already mentioned Neil Redfern who I would have put at number one on the basis of him being a record signing at the time.

Otherwise another well written piece.

I imagine this will be quite a long thread : - )
  • Options
    Can't argue with the number one on that list!
  • Options
    I think Marcus Bent deserves a place in the top 5, possibly at 2. Traore was a disaster, but I'd still move him down a few notches. Wouldn't include Gibbs, simply because as you say he didn't put a foot wrong.
  • Options
    Dennis Rohmedhal - Massivley under achieved compared to what he has done before and after he came to us.
  • Options

M Bent

El Khalej

J Floyd Hasselbaink

F Jeffers

A Faye

• Options
    I'd have marcus bent instead of Jeffers. Omar purso, Simon Walton, baggerhri, didn't play enough to judge them but more reason that their poorer signings.
  • Options
    Tahar El Khalej

• Options

Felt a bit sorry for Traore - his two bookings at West Ham were a bit harsh, esp the second as he was trying to get up off the grownd and the boy Bowyer kicked the ball at him !!

Assuming you actually have to play a game (or two !), then my worst five would have to be:

JFH

M Bent

El Khalej

Rohmedahl  (such much talent wasted)

Hughes 

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    El Khalej only played 3 times for us, one of which was a sub when we were already 5-1 down against Leeds. I remember Curbs bringing him on to try and stop the flood of goals. Leeds promptly scored a sixth.
  • Options
    Interesting that only one of Curbs signings makes your list, whereas with just 12 games to his name Dowie picks up 3 of them (believe Gibbs was signed after Curbs but before Dowie's arrival).

Neil Redfearn might qualify.  Record signing at the time, just didn't workout for us.  

Rommedahl deserves a mention, rarely looked the player that rang rings round the best at two world cups. 

Pouso - surely worth more of a place than Gibbs, he did appear for a half at least. 

• Options
    in no necessary order. On money wasted and appearances. (Pouso will never count as he was great)

JFH
    M.Bent
    Faye
    Traore
    Redfearn

Jeffers was bad but wasnt it said that in the end we only ended up paying 500k for him? 2.6m was in installments. Reason why we carted him off to Rangers and when he came back left him in the reserves.
  • Options

Marcus Bent has to be in there in my view. He was without a doubt Curbs' worst signing in all respects. All I can say in his (Curbs) defence is that he was playing an effective 4-5-1, The fulcrum of that, Bartlett, got injured and Curbs had to pay through the nose in a January window to get someone in who (theoretcally) could do the job as he had very effectively against us in the FA Cup for Leicester not so long before.

Cory Gibbs is a harsh inclusion purely because the fact he was a walking medical casebook is the fault of our medical team at the time not picking up on his injuries properly rather than his being injured in my view.

I would also argue that including Jeffers is harsh. Yes he is an unedifying, jug eared twat but he was a victim of the inadequacies of our midfield at that time. Murphy seemed unable to play in a 4-4-2 as he was too lightweight / unfit which meant that, to accommodate Murphy, Curbs had to play 4-5-1 which was not Jeffers' game at all. £2.6 million, whilst a lot of money in Charlton terms, was small beer at the time for Premiership strikers and thus, in my view, a justifiable punt by Curbs on, at the time, what was still a youngish player at 23 or thereabouts.

• Options

I dont about top five bu numbers 1 and 2 on my list are:

Alan Pardew

Iain Dowie

• Options
    Rommedahl cannot be anywhere near this list, at least he scored against Palace!

JFH, M Bent, Traore, Jeffers and Walton for me
  • Options
    Walton never played though? He may have been better than Faye IF he had been played. Remember the stories that Les Reed was going to recall him in the January to play?
  • Options
    As per mronelung. these lot are all irrelevant, as there is one signing which outdoes the lot of this put together.

Iain Dowie.
  • Options
    controversial to some, but M Bent wasn't all bad and had some decent games - so not in the worst five.
    Redfearn was disappointing but rather than be a detriment to the team he just didn't have the positive impact we' expected.
    Agree with Faye as number one, especially when you take cost into account, on that basis might move Traore down to no. 4 since we offloaded quickly.

Perhaps the next top 4 could be the opinion dividers - Kish, Ambrose etc.?

• Options
    As per mronelung. these lot are all irrelevant, as there is one signing which outdoes the lot of this put together.

Iain Dowie.
    Worst thing to happen to this club since 1985?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    1. Pardew
    2. Dowie
    3. Andrew Mills
    4. Faye
    5. Pouso

• Options

1. Dowie

2. Traore

3. JFH

4.M.Bent

5. Pouso

• Options
    El Kalej
    Faye
    Traore (can't understand that one - not even one of those 'well he was decent at Liverpool' cos he was shit at Liverpool too. Who remembers when he fell over the ball at Anfield to let Bartlett score? Simply awful. Traore should be a contender for worst player to ever get a Champions League medal)
    Marcus Bent
    Also think Danny Murphy deserves a mention just for being so disloyal.

Can't understand Bryan Hughes' name cropping up though, he was decent, even if he did seem to perform better in the cup than the league.

Also never knew the Venue thing about Jeffers -what a prat
  • Options

Marcus Bent is #1 worst prem signing a goal on debut, very few thereafter and did far more scoring off the pitch. I think he even admitted as much that the lifestyle of living in London was a distraction from his football and it showed.

• Options

Marcus Bent has to be in there in my view. He was without a doubt Curbs' worst signing in all respects. All I can say in his (Curbs) defence is that he was playing an effective 4-5-1, The fulcrum of that, Bartlett, got injured and Curbs had to pay through the nose in a January window to get someone in who (theoretcally) could do the job as he had very effectively against us in the FA Cup for Leicester not so long before.

Cory Gibbs is a harsh inclusion purely because the fact he was a walking medical casebook is the fault of our medical team at the time not picking up on his injuries properly rather than his being injured in my view.

I would also argue that including Jeffers is harsh. Yes he is an unedifying, jug eared twat but he was a victim of the inadequacies of our midfield at that time. Murphy seemed unable to play in a 4-4-2 as he was too lightweight / unfit which meant that, to accommodate Murphy, Curbs had to play 4-5-1 which was not Jeffers' game at all. £2.6 million, whilst a lot of money in Charlton terms, was small beer at the time for Premiership strikers and thus, in my view, a justifiable punt by Curbs on, at the time, what was still a youngish player at 23 or thereabouts.

I agree with M Bent & Gibbs, but Jeffers arrived on a deal that would be extended according to the games he played with us paying Arsenal stage payments. For someone who had the opportunity to resurrect his career, earn good money it was ideal, but he preferred to spend his no doubt handsome wages on clubbing.

• Options

El Kharouri

Murphy

Traore

El Khalej

Faye

Harsh on Jeffers as Curbs went 4-5-1 that year and no way Jeffers liver could have coped with that workload.  Gibbs was just a joke on the physio side but there were far worse players than him.

Murphy was supposed to be the player that turned us into a 'big' club but I thought he was crap.

Cant believe AFKA didnt put Rommedahl in though!!

• Options

Rommedahl - besides scoring at Palace what did he do? At international level he looks a handful, electric pace and can play just off the main striker and that gave him the edge, but international football lacks the physicality of English football. In the premiership he was too light-weight, couldn't tackle and had to be played out wide where his pace could on occasions leave international class players tackling fresh air. Unfortunately having gotten past them he had no power or accuracy to get over crosses. How many corners did he take that were wasted because of poor delivery?

Has to be in the top five worst ever prem footballers (at least those who played more than a handful of games), not just in our top five.

• Options

Not sure how we can include Redfearn in this at all. He was signed as barnsleys leading goalscorer having played as an attacking midfielder sitting just behind the strikers.

So curbishley made him our record signing & played him as a holding/defensive midfielder ? 

• Options
    Rommedahl was a bit like marmite love him or hate him. I really rated him and thought like most people we didn't play him in the right way. Good signing IMO.
  • Options
    Marcus Bent has to be in there as even though Traore and Faye were terrible, terrible players they at least looked vaguely interested in the scoreline. Bent never looked even remotely interested in our predicament or even in scoring. Surprised no-one's got on at Gary Rowett yet. I actually really liked Rowett and thought he played really well on the few occasions he did play, he was just unlucky