Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Family Guy : Are they the funniest family on TV?

2»

Comments

• Options
    Simpsons all day long. I can't understand people saying the Simpsons is only aimed at kids. It appeals to both audiences and if you don't get all the wry observations, satire and the way it gets human (particularly western) behaviour down to an absolute tee, then maybe you should stick to watching talking dogs.
  • Options
    American dad is the one
  • Options
    mrbligh said:

American dad is the one

Family Guy for me. American Dad and The Cleveland Show are poor in comparison (my opinion).

I do like The Simpsons though.
  • Options
    Funniest current TV family is probably Philadelphia's very own Reynolds clan tbh
  • Options
    Leuth said:

Funniest current TV family is probably Philadelphia's very own Reynolds clan tbh

Best family ever were the Bosworths from bread
  • Options
    The Goldberg's are very funny
  • Options
    Leuth said:

Funniest show currently on TV (or Netflix) by a very considerable distance, might actually be my favourite comedy series of all time.
  • Options
    se9addick said:

Leuth said:

Funniest show currently on TV (or Netflix) by a very considerable distance, might actually be my favourite comedy series of all time.
    It's up there. Although we're spoilt at the moment with both Silicon Valley and Veep mid-season
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Border Town is nothing to do with Seth McFarlane, or do you mean he wants to make stuff like that?
  • Options
    He was an exec producer. He helped one of his Family Guy cohorts to put it together.
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:

Rick and Morty for the win. Way smarter than any other animated show. Like Red Dwarf meets The Simpsons with added cynicism.

Seth MacFarlane himself dislikes Family Guy now. He's openly said he wants to end it but Fox won't let him or something. I'm sure the pay cheques help. He's putting his effort into American Dad, and trying new things liked Border Town.

Sounds about right, Family Guy had a really good spell but seems to be on it's last legs.

It's pretty funny, but there's only so many times you can repeat the same gag and be funny - "this reminds me of that time when... *joke irrelevant to plot*"
  • Options

JiMMy 85 said:

Rick and Morty for the win. Way smarter than any other animated show. Like Red Dwarf meets The Simpsons with added cynicism.

Seth MacFarlane himself dislikes Family Guy now. He's openly said he wants to end it but Fox won't let him or something. I'm sure the pay cheques help. He's putting his effort into American Dad, and trying new things liked Border Town.

Sounds about right, Family Guy had a really good spell but seems to be on it's last legs.

It's pretty funny, but there's only so many times you can repeat the same gag and be funny - "this reminds me of that time when... *joke irrelevant to plot*"
    Yeah I agree. I struggled with it after I saw the South Park piss take.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tyetbvrQjOs
  • Options
    Old Simpsons. Up until about series 12, with the old animation. Cannot be beaten IMO. Almost a different type of humour to the newer ones which are pretty much garbage. As with a lot of things, gone on far, far too long now.

Same with Family Guy, I think after season four the show took a slightly different direction and the humour changed a little.

Big lover of South Park too.

Nowadays, the best cartoon is by far Rick and Marty, absolutely hilarious. All on Netflix I think.

• Options
    Bored of most of them now, not watched Family Guy in a couple of years. South Park only one I still watch sometimes.
  • Options
    Best current animated show, by a very very long way, is Bojack Horseman imo
  • Options
    Family Guy and Simpsons both excellent for different reasons, but you can't beat the original Tom and Jerry IMHO.
  • Options
    Unbelievable that nobody has mentioned Archer.
  • Options
    All cartoons run out of steam eventually.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Are we just limiting this to animated families? As Modern Family has always made me laugh.
  • Options

Unbelievable that nobody has mentioned Archer.

That's not exactly a family though, just a mum and son (as great as it is).

Rick and Morty is a top shout, the 1st episode of S3 is online in case people weren't aware.
  • Options
    Simpsons was great growing up and more of a family show, but prefer Family Guy as a adult think Simpsons tried to hard to keep up and don't do the adult humour as effective.

I like American Dad and can watch Futurema/The Cleaveland Show but they don't have the same appeal.

South Park for me is outstanding but is hit and miss with people because of the humour but if you understand it and can relate it to real life its just hilarious.
  • Options
    edited May 2017

Old Simpsons. Up until about series 12, with the old animation. Cannot be beaten IMO. Almost a different type of humour to the newer ones which are pretty much garbage. As with a lot of things, gone on far, far too long now.

Same with Family Guy, I think after season four the show took a slightly different direction and the humour changed a little.

Big lover of South Park too.

Nowadays, the best cartoon is by far Rick and Marty, absolutely hilarious. All on Netflix I think.

This is basically my exact opinion, although I found the Family Guy sweet-spot a little bit later. New Simpsons is just awful, and there was a period (maybe as long ago as 15-20+ years ago?) where it was pure genius. Saw a good graphic on Reddit of the downward trend of Simpsons ratings actually; which is a really slow, consistent gradual decline over a decade or something.

Feel like they're trying too hard to keep up with more controversial cartoons and they're just stuck in this unrewarding middle-ground that's neither funny, nor edgy.

But then again, as you say - when it was good, it can't be beaten.

Anyway... commented to say that Archer and Bojack the Horseman on Netflix are pretty great too. Neflix's own content is generally getting really good.
  • Options
    Leuth said:

Best current animated show, by a very very long way, is Bojack Horseman imo

The episode where they kept getting the "fool me once..." phrase wrong is probably the most I've ever laughed without any actual company being around.

Only watched a few Rick and Mortys, but seems right up there.