Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Glastonbury 2011

edited June 2011 in Not Sports Related
Just watching a band called U2 live.

Not sure they'll make it in the business.

Remember watching Muse a few years back at Glasto, brilliant, blew me mind.

This should be on the drunk thread.

Comments

• Options
    "with or without you"  & "all I want is you"   are 2 of my all time favourites songs.......... 
  • Options
    I hate u2 with a passion. Thank god for the red button
  • Options
    Like 'em or not, they can play.
    I wonder what the sound quality is like there. I went to see Kings of Leon Wednesday night at Hyde Park, bloody awful pa system. I've heard better in a lift.
    Walked out after 30 minutes along with quite a few others
  • Options
    Your first problem was you saw kings of Leon. Secondly, Hyde park is always crap for sound. I think the worst place I have ever seen a gig
  • Options
    Like 'em or not, they can play.
    I wonder what the sound quality is like there. I went to see Kings of Leon Wednesday night at Hyde Park, bloody awful pa system. I've heard better in a lift.
    Walked out after 30 minutes along with quite a few others

The sound quality at Glastonbury is pretty good for an outdoor event, there's a a natural ampitheatre effect.
  • Options
    Any fans of stoner rock gods Sleep on here? Seeing them tonight in Calgary at an open air rock concert in the city centre - they sound checked at lunchtime the ground was shaking!!! The looks on the suits on their lunch break was priceless!!
  • Options
    U2 were poor for me. But when there are no frills or gimmicks to play with, just a plain stage., its a different ball game.

Bono kept trying the Liam Gallagher posing bs, which looked funny for an old bloke in leather kecks.

The Edge is a genius guitar player though and their saving grace for me.

Lets go to Capt America in the Space Shuttle....

Just pay your taxes Bono eh.
  • Options
    Just seen a bit of Primal Scream, rather nice i thought.
  • Options
    [quote]I wonder what the sound quality is like there. I went to see Kings of
    Leon Wednesday night at Hyde Park, bloody awful pa system. I've heard
    better in a lift.[/quote]

It was fine for The Killers last night, maybe you just need a hearing aid?
  • Options
    U2 at Glastonbury is the ultimate sell out from Eavis. The band disappeared up Bono's arse after Rattle and Hum.

The crowd shots whilst they were playing made me want to vomit and piss blood at the same time.

I remember when Glasto was a real festival. Beyonce.....ffs. Dr Phibes must be turning in his grave.

Middle class shamefest now.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Saw some fella in his 60's interviewed on the TV there earlier today.

They asked him older people should feel a bit out of place at a festival. "No", he said, "we're just about the only people that can afford to come".

Says it all really.
  • Options
    @charltonkeston
    I got free tickets to that gig, wish I didnt go now. Saw Foo Fighters there not long ago and it sounded fine and also mates saw The Killers tonight and said it was fine.
  • Options
    kings of leon are totally scrap went to see them at oxegen 2 years ago sounded like a cd was playing, had no interaction with the crowd at all then at the end of it all had the cheek to say we were the best crowd theyd ever played to
  • Options
    U2 at Glastonbury is the ultimate sell out from Eavis. The band disappeared up Bono's arse after Rattle and Hum.

The crowd shots whilst they were playing made me want to vomit and piss blood at the same time.

I remember when Glasto was a real festival. Beyonce.....ffs. Dr Phibes must be turning in his grave.

Middle class shamefest now.
    So they have a few big names and dinosaur legends wheeled out to headline.
    Do you really think that's all Glastonbury is all about? If so you've evidently never been.

There's so much going on at Glasto, from acoustic to loads of raw talent on smaller stages; dance; comedy, caberet, theatre, circus performers, etc. Alternative markets, arts & crafts, gardening - you name it, it's all there. Places to chill out . Plenty for kids.

Give the Pyramid stage and the Babylon market a miss - and go and do the fascinating underbelly of the festival.
    Something for everyone........you can't possibly be disappointed.

• Options
    Re Kings of Leon, saw them at Brixton jut after the third album was launched, people told me before they were awful live and that convinced me. Saw them at Reading the other year and just spent the whole time slagging the crowd off that they only knew their "Radio 1" songs. I think a year later playing at V they thanked the crowd saying they were the best in Britain and that it was emotional to return to where they played their first festival. Say it all really, can't stand them now.

U2 are strange, personally not really my thing but I can appreciate a few of their songs but it is weird how they are so big yet everyone seems to hate them. Are all their fans in the states or is it just people hate Bono more than they they dislike than band?
  • Options
    Oggy i've been 3 times. All in the early 90s. You wont change my opinion.

Yes other things go on, but ultimately it will be judged by the music and a large percentage of it is cack.

It is a middle class jolly. The only people that can afford to go are Tarquin and Pereguin who are on day release from mummy and daddys law firm.

The days of fireman raving on top of their engine outside banana joes at 4am are gone.

Still, you can get Tofu and Sushi 24/7 snd watch some drug crazed druids bond with stones so thats ok.
  • Options
    Oggy i've been 3 times. All in the early 90s. You wont change my opinion.

Yes other things go on, but ultimately it will be judged by the music and a large percentage of it is cack.

It is a middle class jolly. The only people that can afford to go are Tarquin and Pereguin who are on day release from mummy and daddys law firm.

The days of fireman raving on top of their engine outside banana joes at 4am are gone.

Still, you can get Tofu and Sushi 24/7 snd watch some drug crazed druids bond with stones so thats ok.
    Well my nineteen yr old son / kitchen worker who is on min wage is going with all his mates none of them Tarquin or Pereguin, just young broke people trying to enjoy themselves.
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Hi Clem, I wouldn't dream of trying to change your opinion, but obviously I can't agree based on many years of going to Glastonbury myself.

On the other hand, my 24 year old lad goes to Glasto (he's there, right now) and all he heads for is the bands and the dance tent.
    If he feels like it, he'll see a band he fancies, often on the Other stage; and then in the Dance tent all night with his mates.... and sleeps all day.For him, it's just one big party.

I know loads of people from my area who go year after year, ordinary people like me, many of whom never bother with the big names stuff,and every year they come back telling what a great time they've had.

I haven't been since 2005 (done 11 Glastos all told) but as I got older, got to discover the rest of the festival.
    Loved it. It's the huge bit that you never see on the telly.

People forget that Glastonbury is not just a music festival - that's only one part of it.
    It's a festival of all the performing arts, and often the best bits have to be discovered in random corners.

• Options
    edited June 2011
    exactly
  • Options
    Any idea if it will possible to watch Gentleman's Dub Club 3:45 set on the BBC? Not holding high hopes....
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Thought Morrissey was awesome last night, at one point he said "I will sing as fast as I can as I know you are waiting for U2, you know that, we know that" then the crowd started booing.

Fantastic guitar from Boz Boorer, especially on Meat is Murder.

• Options
    only saw Mozzer do This Charming Man, that was embarrassing, hopefully the rest of his set was a lot better!
    It's a fallow year next year, so hopefully they come back after that moving awaya from the ultra-commercial Beyonce/U2 type bill toppers back to the acts on the way up or just reaching the top of their game - such as Pulp and Oasis in 95.
  • Options

Thought Morrissey was awesome last night, at one point he said "I will sing as fast as I can as I know you are waiting for U2, you know that, we know that" then the crowd started booing.

Fantastic guitar from Boz Boorer, especially on Meat is Murder.

Respect for picking up Boz's work...the bloke never gets a mention. Really underrated for his Morrissey work.
  • Options

Boz was excellent, former Rockabilly hero of mine, we even use the same barbers sometimes!

Only disappointment for me was on "There's a light that never goes out" when Morrissey failed to sing the fade out repeat of the title at the end, he just let it fade out and finish.

• Options
    That's because at his gigs the audience normally sing it out....
  • Options
    Boz was great ... but then he always is. Been with Morrissey for years now.
  • Options
    That's because at his gigs the audience normally sing it out....
    And presumably there were only a handful of hardcore Smiths/Moz fans in the crowd
  • Options
    An aside, Boz was never a small chap but christ on a bike he really has piled the pounds on.
  • Options

Must be the caterers on tour, he was round my place about six weeks ago and looked about two stone lighter.

• Options
    just watching it on tv at the moment. looks full of absolute freaks.