Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

THEATRE THREAD

Comments

• Has anybody seen the Play that goes wrong.
  • Solidgone said:

Has anybody seen the Play that goes wrong.

Yup, immensely funny. Seen it twice, you should definitely give it a visit.
  • Solidgone said:

Yep. Very funny. Would recommend The Comedy About a Bank Robbery as well. Same Theatre company. Today Tix are currently selling tickets to The Play That Goes Wrong for £20
  • edited November 2018
    I took my daughter to see Dr Dolittle at the Churchill, Bromley last night.

Was very good mostly (some of the numbers were spectacular) although was a little flat in places.

Was based on the ‘67 film but had several differences in the plot.

My daughter loved it.

• Solidgone said:

Yep. Very funny. Would recommend The Comedy About a Bank Robbery as well. Same Theatre company. Today Tix are currently selling tickets to The Play That Goes Wrong for £20
    This. They're both outstanding.
  • Solidgone said:

I went to see Layla and Majnun at Sadler’s Wells performed by the Mark Morris Dance Group Silkroad ensemble. Fantastic Maugham vocals, in particular Alim Qasimov. His voice was so mesmerising that it distracted me from the dancing.

We saw it too, very good
  • Going to watch Comedy about a Bank Robbery at Milton Keynes tomorrow night. Birthday present from my wife.
  • Just come out of Wicked. Avoided seeing this for years as just didn’t ever fancy it despite seeing most other musicals going. Found it a bit meh. Glad we got cheap last minute tickets. Lead girls voice was great and defying gravity was the best bit.

Matilda again on Saturday for the 5th time!
  • There's a theatre sale started today, just got tickets for A comedy about a bank robbery £30 each in stall seats.
    http://links.mail.officiallondontheatre.co.uk/ctt?kn=3&ms=Mzc3MjYwOTIS1&r=NzcxMTkyMzU3MzI1S0&b=0&j=MTQyMDM5MjI3NAS2&mt=1&rt=0
  • Saw Hamilton last Monday, my daughter loved it.

Don Quixote with Rufus Hound tonight. Supposed to be very Python-esque.

Have Xmas gifts for my daughter of Waitress and Only Fools. Not keen on Only Fools, but she wants to see it so will give it a go.
  • Sponsored links:

• I saw Anthony & Cleopatra at the National last week. Good performances from the leads, Ralph Fiennes and Sophie Okonedo (hard to believe she’s 50 !), but I found it too long at 3.5 hours (including a 20 minute interval). It’s a little bit too sprawling in its subject matter and there’s very little insight into the characters’ inner lives. Still, as Lee Bowyer would say, the play is what it is (my poor wife had to do it for A level).

An interesting review from the West End whingers - https://westendwhingers.wordpress.com/2018/09/21/review-antony-cleopatra-national-theatre/#more-29378

Just before that started, we went along to the Private Eye Review of 2018, with Ian Hislop, Harry Enfield, Lewis Macleod, Jan Ravens and John Sessions. Very good, especially Lewis Macleod - not someone I’d seen before but the pick of the bunch and a guy I’d like to go and see again should the opportunity arise.
  • 42nd street. Tap-tastic.

Got tickets for Don Quixote, Company, Nutcracker at RAH in new year.

Tempted by SIX and merry wives of Windsor too.
  • 42nd street. Tap-tastic.

Got tickets for Don Quixote, Company, Nutcracker at RAH in new year.

Tempted by SIX and merry wives of Windsor too.

Don Quixote is excellent. Surprising amount of audience participation. David Threfall is excellent in it.
  • A Christmas Carol

We got half price tickets to see this at the Old Vic last night. It was excellent and the unusual stage layout added to the immersive feel of the production. It's on until 19th Jan and well worth seeing if you can get tickets.
  • Saw a Very Very Very Dark Matter at the amazing Bridge Theatre last night.

Jim Broadbent as Hans Christian Anderson and Phil Daniels as Charles Dickens were brilliant.

The play itself is nuts, but great entertainment. Broadbent is an amazing stage presence.
  • edited January 2019

Saw a Very Very Very Dark Matter at the amazing Bridge Theatre last night.

Jim Broadbent as Hans Christian Anderson and Phil Daniels as Charles Dickens were brilliant.

The play itself is nuts, but great entertainment. Broadbent is an amazing stage presence.

Yup, it’s excellent ... and I love the theatre itself.
  • Fiddler On The Roof

We got returns for Trevor Nunn's revival of this at the Menier Chocolate Factory before it transfers to the West End next month. An intimate venue, with seats on three sides of the stage, and an extremely good production. 
  • Top Girls at the National. Very good, made and set in the 80s, about women in the workplace. Interesting to see how much jas or hasn't changed. 
  • For those who haven't done the Regent's Park Open Air Theatre it's well worth it. Saw Jesus Christ Superstar there in 2017, and this summer they are putting on 'Evita' (as well as other productions). It's a great evening, especially if the weather is good.

https://openairtheatre.com/
  • Sponsored links:

• Seen a lot recently
    Come from Away. Brilliant going again
    Waitress. Meh
    All My Sons. Great

• For those who haven't done the Regent's Park Open Air Theatre it's well worth it. Saw Jesus Christ Superstar there in 2017, and this summer they are putting on 'Evita' (as well as other productions). It's a great evening, especially if the weather is good.

https://openairtheatre.com/
    We saw Jesus there too and don’t tell anyone but I can’t help but belt out a bit of Evita from time to time so will be booking tickets for this too, cheers for the heads up
  • 42nd street. Tap-tastic. Got tickets for Don Quixote, Company, Nutcracker at RAH in new year. Tempted by SIX and merry wives of Windsor too.
    Don Quixote is excellent. Surprising amount of audience participation. David Threfall is excellent in it.

Didn't come back and review these!

Don Quixote was great - although David Threlfall was indisposed the night we went, so husband bought tickets again and saw him in it. Rufus Hound was great.

Company was cleverly staged, really enjoyed it.

Nutcracker at RAH was a plesant surprise as thought it was going to be poor not being royal/english national ballet, but loved it and had great cheap seats but really close.

Have now seen SIX twice, once last week and once back in Jan. can't get the songs out of my head. will go again. would recommend to everyone, and even education for kids 10+ who are learning about Henry VII and like a pop song!

Also saw Pepperland at Sadlers wells (dance based on music of sgt Peppers - beatles) bonkers, clever in parts, but mainly bonkers

Swan Lake at Orchard theatre by moskow city ballet - terrible - there was a bloke who looked like John Bishop leaping around in most scenes (out of time and with dead fish for feet) and i swear i thought a camera crew would come out on stage and say he was taking part for a saturday night entertainment spoof or something.

Went to see Witness for the Prosecution at County Hall, got cheap tickets the night before but as it wasn't sold out, got upgraded. what an amazing venue.

Going to see Shen Yun next Friday and have bought tickets for Cinderella in the round for June.

• Saw 9 to 5 musical at the Savoy Theatre last Monday. Thoroughly recommended the show. Comedy throughout and Bonnie Langford and Brian Conley together are excellent 
  • Going back to see Hamilton in June, loved it that much 
  • The brochure for Regent's Park has arrived on our doormat this morning & I'm considering  A Midsummer Night's Dream , staged from 28th June-27 July or Evita , 2nd August-21st Sept. 

We've taken various grandkids there to see Peter Pan &  Pericles- both very good. 
  • Saw Annie the Musical tonight at Dartford theatre. Wanted to see it in the west end last year and heard it was good. The show was amazing tonight. One of the best I have seen in quite a while. Craig Revel Horwood is brilliant as Miss Hannigan
  • edited June 2019
    There's a theatre sale started today, just got tickets for A comedy about a bank robbery £30 each in stall seats. http://links.mail.officiallondontheatre.co.uk/ctt?kn=3&ms=Mzc3MjYwOTIS1&r=NzcxMTkyMzU3MzI1S0&b=0&j=MTQyMDM5MjI3NAS2&mt=1&rt=0
    I really liked that show. Have got tickets for Annie at Milton Keynes.
  • Went to see a preview of Present Laughter starring Andrew Scott at the Old Vic last night. Very good, I'd recommend it. 
  • Just sorted tickets for Joseph, at the Palladium, in August. One of my favourite musicals (along with Jesus Christ Superstar, Evita and Les Mis) and am really looking forward to seeing Sheridan Smith in the narrator's role. £100 a go for third best priced tickets mind you!