Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

THEATRE THREAD

Comments

• Options
    Room on The Broom. Actually pretty entertaining, and the 2 and 5 years old enjoyed it
  • Options
    Saw Kinky Boots Saturday night - excellent!! (PS: Slightly disturbed though at how attractive I found the 'transvestites'!!!)
  • Options
    I saw 'She Loves You' at Menier Chocolate Factory last night and thought it was excellent.

The lead female was played by a lady called Scarlett Strallen, the niece of one Bonnie Langford, and she does certainly bear a resemblance to her aunt. A couple of other familiar faces in the cast were Norman Pace (of 'Hale & Pace' fame @ the Tramshed and further afield) and a very rotund Les Dennis.
  • Options
    I have just been gifted a belated Christmas present from work for a show called Hamilton for next January... yes next January.

What is all the hype about? They even had to pay for the tickets on my card such are the heavy restrictions on purchasing.
  • Options
    Curb_It said:

I have just been gifted a belated Christmas present from work for a show called Hamilton for next January... yes next January.

What is all the hype about? They even had to pay for the tickets on my card such are the heavy restrictions on purchasing.

It's about the 2012 F1 season...
  • Options
    The theatre for Hamilton is being renovated at the moment. Hope it's ready !!!
  • Options
    Saw Othello last night at the Sam Wanamaker Playhouse. For those that don't know it's a traditional Elizabethan indoor theatre next to the Globe. It's really small and all lit by candlelight. Really enjoyable in that setting, and very good show. I definitely recommend going to see a play there
  • Options
    Couple of world war 1 related plays on in London during March/ April;
    Wipers times (Ypres connection)- , https://www.londontheatre.co.uk/show/the-wipers-times
    And coming in April, Spring Offensive-
    https://www.londontheatre.co.uk/show/spring-offensive

Wipers times I definitely intend to see. If it hadn't been for @SE7toSG3 excellent battlefield tour recently it would have totally passed me by.
    Spring offensive is on in clapham, and is the cheaper, fringier production of the two.
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    Thanks for the heads up, I will definitely go to see these, I was impressed by Versailles at the Dolmar a couple of years ago, have seen War Horse a couple of times but for me, Journeys End remains the best Great War theatre, RC Sherrif served in the East Surreys and its semi autobiographical, whenever I see it it draws me in.

An English rep company is putting it on in Ypres between Sept/Nov I believe so worth a trip.

Thanks again from letting me know about these, I have just arrived in Skjope for a tour of the Salonika front tonight so am never far from the 'old front line'.
  • Options
    Was given tickets for Wipers Times as a very welcome Christmas present, so off to see it next month
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Saw 'Twelfth Night' at the National with Tamsin Greig - very good.

Attended the 'Platform' Q&A beforehand at 6pm with the director, Simon Godwin. These are only ever a fiver and very good value.
  • Options
    Gonna see Don Juan tonight
  • Options

DA9 said:

Saw jersey boys a few weeks ago, superb show

Saw this last summer and thought it was disappointing, perhaps I was expecting too much after having seen the film

Saw Hand of God a couple of weeks ago and thought it was a load of bollox though clearly there were others in the theatre that felt otherwise

Saw Beautiful and will go back and see it again. Non stop trip down memory lane with song after song after song. Amazingly prolific songwriters.

As somebody else has mentioned, the Motown one is one I want to see also. Has anybody seen it yet ?

Was given tickets for Wipers Times as a very welcome Christmas present, so off to see it next month

I've just purchased tickets too - a belated birthday treat for myself & Mr F !
  • Options
    Tomorrow will be my first ever visit to the London Palladium. Going to see Paul Carrack, former singer from Mike and The Mechanics
  • Options
    Shag said:

Gonna see Don Juan tonight

Hope you have a good Juan
  • Options
    Just been to see An American in Paris. Brilliant show. So uplifting. Fabulous dancing and songs

https://amp.theguardian.com/stage/2017/mar/21/an-american-in-paris-five-star-review-minnelli-musical-dominion-london
  • Options
    Saw madama butterfly last night. Beamed live to cinema from up the road (ROH)
  • Options
    Saw Twelfth Night last night - again beamed live to the picturehouse in greenwich. Didn't think I'd like it, not knowing the story. It was amazing. I know it's not the same as the real thing, but the close ups with the camera showing the expressions, I dont think you'd notice if you were at the back of the theatre. Surprised by the cast, as didn't recognise the names, but all recognisable actors/comedians. very funny. would definitely recommend and may even go again myself.
  • Options
    It is amazing to think Shakespeare is still 'living' as it were, and has been one of the biggest cash cows of all time, over 400 years since he died.
  • Options
    Have now seen Wipers Times. Excellent production. In a very small theatre, which added to the atmosphere.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    42nd Street at Drury Lane Theatre - a tap dancing and musical extravaganza. Very good
  • Options

Have now seen Wipers Times. Excellent production. In a very small theatre, which added to the atmosphere.

We were at today's matinee & enjoyed it immensely.
  • Options
    Stepping out at vaudeville. Hmmmm. Not as great as I was thinking. 2nd half funnier. Tracy Ann overman great. Hate Amanda Holden but begrudgingly impressed by her by the end.
  • Options
    Anyone who likes Fawlty Towers should go to see the interactive show in the hotel above Charing Cross - Amba Hotel. Fantastic entertainment and at £64 a head including a 3 course meal it is not bad value.
  • Options
    Dreamgirls was fantastic on Saturday and we've got another child free weekend this week too. Was thinking of going to the half price place at Leicester square on Saturday to see what they've got on offer. Has anyone seen Half a Sixpence?
  • Options
    Is the half price place half price?
    In NY in Times square they have these similar booths, I popped round the corner to the actual theatre and got my tickets cheaper.
    One thing that does get to me is rude box office staff, and in London there seems to be a lot!
  • Options

Dreamgirls was fantastic on Saturday and we've got another child free weekend this week too. Was thinking of going to the half price place at Leicester square on Saturday to see what they've got on offer. Has anyone seen Half a Sixpence?

Making good use of that cupboard under the stairs again, DM ?

:smile:
  • Options
    The Miser was well funny; Lee Mack and Griff Reece Jones.
  • Options
    seth plum said:

Is the half price place half price?
    In NY in Times square they have these similar booths, I popped round the corner to the actual theatre and got my tickets cheaper.
    One thing that does get to me is rude box office staff, and in London there seems to be a lot!

Had a look on-line and some of their prices are cheaper but not all (one or two are actually a bit dearer)

Someone else suggested going to the actual theatre about an hour before the show. May well try that.
  • Options

Making good use of that cupboard under the stairs again, DM ?

:smile:
    She's alright, she loves playing Harry Potter