Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

broadband

had NTL broadband for the last year as BT wanted 100 quid to put a line in as there wasn't one already in the property , we then found out on the day of moving in that there was a BT socket . Anyway we are now switching back to BT as NTL is toss , and are gonna switch our broadband as well.

We have SKY so was thinking of getting on the 16mb for 10 quid a month deal , anyone else got the sky broadband and can tell me what it's like , if not what can people recomend that is fast and unlimited usage for a decent price.

Comments

• Options
    My brother works for sky and says the deal is great as long as you live in London otherwise forget it (year long connection waits). Personally i use Be unlimited...its expensive but i get a 24 meg service and i burn around 300gig of bandwidth/month. Hope that helps.

S.

p.s. Tiscali are the devils spawn.
  • Options
    must admit santa that I was looking at that be unlimited and thought it looked good. Is it really fast cos I don't mind paying a bit extra for quality . I used to be with pipex and never had any problems in three years so I may go back with them
  • Options
    Been very imppressed with 'Be'. I'm pretty sure that its a minimum 3 month contract ( + free wireless router) so if you're not satisfied you can walk away easily. I've done the speed checks and my actual speed seems to be in the mid teens. Hope that helps.

S.
  • Options
    Been very imppressed with 'Be'. I'm pretty sure that its a minimum 3 month contract ( + free wireless router) so if you're not satisfied you can walk away easily. I've done the speed checks and my actual speed seems to be in the mid teens. Hope that helps.

S.
  • Options

S.
  • Options
    My parents have Sky broadband and say it's fine, although they've had a few registration problems (but since the connection works that's Sky's problem and not theirs).

Tiscali are the devil's spawn, I agree.
  • Options
    i use tiscali, no problems in 18months so far!
  • Options
    My problem with Tiscali was the speed and customer service. Word to the wise though, if you're happy with them phone up to cancel your service and they'll put you straight through to someone who'll offer you a big price reduction (£10/month). My mistake was to migrate to Be, Tiscali continued to bill me for 4 months, took forever to get through to anyone and when i did i was sweetly lied to again and again. The Cheques are still in the post....Barstewards.

S.
  • Options
    I've got Sky Broadband (the £10 uncapped, upto 16mb that you mention), down in deepest Kent.

Seems ok, but I'm still only getting about 2.5 mb download.... Had it for about 6 weeks, and it's not been down once though....
  • Options
    I have had ntl for several years and overall its been alright - I download a bit of music now and then but nothnig major. But I do have problems with the modem which have become more prevalent recently - sometimes have to turn it off for at least ten minutes and reboot PC to get it working on USB. Could probably just get a new modem from them but I think I pay £18.99 a month and I want to cut that down as much as possible.

Thinking of Tiscali - £12.99 a month (indefinitely) I think.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    When I was in the UK I was with eclipse.

Might want to check them out as they were consistently highly rated by techie rating sites etc. but at the time I don't think they were particularly fast nor cheap, just unlimited, reliable and best value for money. I never had any problems in the few years I was with them. Last summer, when companies were coming out with much faster bandwidth connections, my neighbour joined the Be wireless and had a much faster connection for about the same price. Whether eclipse is now more competitive with the high bandwidths, I don't know, but may be worth checking out.
  • Options
    SS - NTL broadband seems to run fine on Ethernet. I too had problems on USB, phoned up the help desk cos I had a day to spare, and they told me USB was very unstable. I've also stuck a wireless router in the way (with another firewall) and this seems to work fine (I use the desktop on a wired connection and laptop on wireless). Connection speed is improved aswell.
  • Options
    think I will go with SKY , only worry is making sure I have internet on 1st april when glastonbury tickets go on sale so I may keep the NTL broadband active till a day or two after
  • Options
    im with NTL telewest digital. i was paying £58 for basic tv package, unlimited landline calls & unlimited 4mb broadband. i rang them to say i was considering going over to Orange and they dropped it to £40 per month sraight away, result. only had a couple of faults on the line over last few years.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: buckshee[/cite]think I will go with SKY , only worry is making sure I have internet on 1st april when glastonbury tickets go on sale so I may keep the NTL broadband active till a day or two after

have you made enquiries to move to sky broadband, I did, they told me I had to close my aol account, which would have to be closed a minimum of 10 day`s, then I should contact sky to subscribe, and it could take up to 15 day`s to make the changeover, a possibilty a month with no internet connection, sky will tell you that there`s no way round this, who am I to doubt this, but it sounds like bs to me.
  • Options
    think I might get away with that as my broadband doesn't come down the phone line it comes down a cable .
    Got BT booked to come in on 14th feb as they have finally realised that they do have a line in my property so that gives me ages till the 1st april .

Maybe in the meantime I can have a word with Rothko's brother and hook up to his wireless.