Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

NHL - Bruins rout the Canucks. Predictable rioting erupts in Vancouver.

Bad luck Vancouver - was rooting for you last night, but it wasn't to be.

It still strikes me as a bit odd how in a sport, played, cared for & watched mostly by Canadians, (players in US NHL teams are predominantly Canadian) hasn't seen a Canadian team win the Stanley Cup since 1993.

My favourite part of tonight's final was the deafening, merciless booing of the NHL Commissioner (their Graham Kelly if you like) as he presented the trophy to Boston - poor bloke was a quivering wreck as he handed the trophy over.

Comments

• Options
    Totally gutted Vancouver lost.  Have totally got into the hockey in the last 6 years since I moved to BC.  Got to say Boston deserved their win though.  Thomas was like a brick wall!  Cannot understand why the majority of Canadians wanted Boston to win??? Baffles me.  As for the rioting...fu#king tw%ts.
  • Options

Shame, was hoping the Canucks would do the yanks.

Brilliant game. Is the best "live" sport I've ever seen.

Oakster-had the pleasure of living in Edmonton between 1981-83 when the Oilers were in their prime, Gretzky, Messier, Coffey etc. Still look for their results now although gather they're in the process of rebuilding. 

• Options
    I'm in Toronto at the moment and the majority I met last night wanted the cannucks to win.
  • Options
    How many tossers taking photos in each of those pictures. Unbelievable.
  • Options
    Here's some pictures - ice hockey fans can't be the sharpest tools in the box, judging by some of them posing for photos...
  • Options
    and the one having his trousers pulled down by the police!
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Some top reporting from Rob Brown.

"Look at that. Now, that's an idiot."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KR8rpXsuy6E
  • Options

Shame, was hoping the Canucks would do the yanks.

Brilliant game. Is the best "live" sport I've ever seen.

Oakster-had the pleasure of living in Edmonton between 1981-83 when the Oilers were in their prime, Gretzky, Messier, Coffey etc. Still look for their results now although gather they're in the process of rebuilding. 

LOL - that 'process' has taken a while - it began when Kurri, Gretzky, Coffey, Messier et. al left :)
  • Options
    Pleased for the Bruins - even though they're a rival to the Pens. One of my earliest memories of hockey as a kid was watching some highlights programme or other where they were talking about great moments in sport and they showed Bobby orr sailing through the air after scoring the cup winner for the Bruins.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    All a bit bizzare. In Edmonton it seemed to be about a 50:50 split between people wanting to see ANY Canadian team get one over the Yanks and people who wanted to see Vancouver lose. I'd have though national solidarity vs the Yanks would have taken presidence, but on the other hand I always want Man Utd and Chelsea to lose in Europe - even vs the French so I guess it's no different.

Have to say, the Stanley Cup is a really stoopid looking trophy.