Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Kevin Nolan going to West Ham

This one has shocked me a bit, surely Pardew hasn't already lost the plot there already?

Although I think it may be down to Ashley being his usual self again. Feel for Toon fans a little that they have such a clown owning their club.

Comments

• Allardyce now has Ab Faye and seemingly Nolan through the door.

Whether or not anyone likes his style of football, if the owners don't interfere, they should piss that league.

• Tweet just now from Joey Barton:

'Great player, leader, captain, person, trainer and mostly a friend for life. Devastated to see him SOLD! #mejoseandjonasnext'

Looks like players unsettled at Newcastle - now there's a surprise
  • Ashley through Lambias has basically told all of the high earners they won't be getting new contracts unless they take cuts of about 30-40% in wages. I don't think players of the calibre of Nolan, Enrique and Barton are going to accept that... though despite the Big Sam connection I think Nolan is taking another backward step in the prime of his career.
  • Why was my first reaction one of shock given that he has conducted The Valley tours and written in the local press about Charlton for years?

Then I realised they meant Andy Carroll's babysitter.

• Great signing for the hammers, always weighs in with his fair share of goals.
  • When a model citizen and all round good guy like Joey Barton praises you in that way, you know it really means something.
  • Great signing for the hammers, always weighs in with his fair share of goals.
    Very familiar with Big Sam too.
  • Allardyce going back yet again for the one player he can depend on.
  • Nolan always seem to be a hard working player, that seems to do a lot of the 'graft' in the team, good player when I have seen him play.
    Looks like parker is a cert to go now!
  • from what i understood nolan wanted around a 3 or 4 year contract at newcastle which pardew wouldnt give him.

brilliant signing for west ham and cant belive someone like norwich or qpr didnt go in for him.
  • Sponsored links:

• Probably less than a dozen clubs in england that could and would meet his wages
  • Cant beleive he has gone to the Championship, massive backwards step for him.  Good signing for West Ham - Damn!
  • Has he left the Mercury now then ?

Whether or not anyone likes his style of football, if the owners don't interfere, they should piss that league.

Don't agree at all. Nolan is a top signing for them fair enough but that means that Parker's all but done a deal (probably with Harry's mob) so he'll be off for certain. We won't know whether West Ham are going to be going straight back up until the dust has settled and the see if the likes of Ba, Green, Cole (spit) et al are still there or if not who has come in to replace them.
  • It seems that Ba is off though...

• Ewe'd think so.
  • Baaaad joke

Don't agree at all. Nolan is a top signing for them fair enough but that means that Parker's all but done a deal (probably with Harry's mob) so he'll be off for certain. We won't know whether West Ham are going to be going straight back up until the dust has settled and the see if the likes of Ba, Green, Cole (spit) et al are still there or if not who has come in to replace them.
    You say it as if losing Cole and Green is a bad thing. Green was comfortably the worst keeper in the league last season, and Cole was hopeless.

Parker was always going to leave. I don't think the signing of Nolan has confirmed it, it was already inevitable.
  • Surprised by this - I would have thought that the barcodes would have done anything to keep him...

Great capture for the spammers, but must mean that Parker is on his way, although we always knew that would happen.

• Yup, my hamster supporting brother-in-law is very pleased Cole and Green will be leaving.
  • Sponsored links:

• They will be strong next season I think. Never easy but strong enough to be right up there. Hope they whack Millwall.
  • edited June 2011
    Abdoulaye Faye, Kevin Nolan and Ricardo Gardner

3 players Big Sam trusts, three '100%ers' and two that will stand out in that league next season definitely.

If I was a West Ham fan today I'd smile for the first time in months.
  • Now looks like they are also signing Ricardo Gardner - clearly a Bolt-on reunion! Wonder who will be next?
  • Clearly shit or bust for them, lets hope they miss promotion and it is the latter.

• Kevin Nolan looked to me to be one of the better midfielders in the Premier League last season - what's he doing going down to the Championship? Can understand leaving Newcastle, but the championship - and for only £1.5 million. Hate to say it but the hammers have got a steal
  • Don't get me wrong they are clearly going to be up there and if they are not then they have cocked up massively BUT it's not an easy league at all, they are going to be everyone's cup final and even the poorer teams will raise their game, we don't yet know what their squad's going to look like after a summer of in's and outs, the club is in financial dire straights and needs to off load the top earners (meaning it's likely to be largely a new team needing time to settle) and  the response of the crowd to Big Sam's direct style of play is unknown, especially in the event of a couple of bad results.

Be up there for certain, but I don't think they'll be walking the league. Don't forget we were expected to bounce back ourselves and that didn't quite go to plan did it?

• Strange world of modern football.  I'd imagine Nolan's wages would pay for most of Lambert's signings these pass few seasons.  Sign him on a long term contract and that's pretty much one year's TV payment gone.  QPR say they have a strict wage cap.  We're fast moving towards a chasm between top 4-5 and the rest like La Liga's.  Villa and Newcastle have a stark choice to make, and that's disastrous bankruptcy after a few years of possible challenging for Europa League.  Just to think half a decade ago we were attempting to sign players like Kezman, who were also wanted by Chelsea.  Of the top 4-5's transfer targets, none outside that cartel can get near their wanted players and now it's getting impossible for them to spend big money on maybe's like Ellmander and Fellaini.

Still I wouldn't be relying on Pardew signing reliable players.  Move on Barton maybe, but Nolan is reliable, on form and takes the pressure off average forwards.
  •   We're fast moving towards a chasm between top 4-5 and the rest like La Liga's. 

We've been there for the last decade, Liverpool, Arsenal, Chelsea and Man U have pretty much played pass the pacel with the top four places in the EPL in that time. Only Spurs, Everton (for one season) and Man City have broken up that cartel and they've done it by spending ridiculous amounts of money. Football is becoming less a sport and more a branch of show business.
  • I find it absolutely incredible that he's gone to west ham, even with the alladyce connection why in the prime of his career would he leave the premiership? It's not as if "he was brought up in the area & always wanted to play for them"

Allardyce is a good manager but also it seems very persuasive, having a manager of his status is going to bring in premiership players & he will mould them into a team. Whether they walk it is another matter but they will be major favourites to go up......shame

• edited June 2011
    Have read it is three years 70k a week and captain. do you think west ham are rolling the dice?! if that's true then only 6 clubs could pay that i reckon in the country and only one would...a championship side. laughable.