Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Magnus Okuonghae

2»

Comments

• edited June 2011

COLCHESTER United have rejected a low six-figure bid from Charlton for centre-back Magnus Okuonghae, the EADT understands.

To send a link to this page to a friend, you must be logged in.

Addicks boss Chris Powell is looking to completely overhaul his squad this summer in a bid to get the club promoted back into the Championship following a two year absence and has made the Nigerian-born defender one of his main targets.

The U’s are keen to keep hold of their key man and have rejected the bid, but – with the 25-year-old entering the last year of his contract – it is expected that the south London club will come back with an improved offer.

Colchester, who were forced to cash in on defenders Marc Tierney and Paul Reid this January to prevent them leaving for nothing this summer, now have to decide just what would represent an offer that would be too good to turn down.

Okuonghae missed the entire second half of the season just gone after undergoing surgery on a blood flow problem in his foot. He is on course for a return to pre-season training though and should be fit to start the 2011/12 campaign.

The 6ft 3in Nigerian-born defender was released by Fulham as a youngster and, after a brief spell in non-league, relaunched his career at Dagenham & Redbridge where he helped them finish eighth in League Two.

That persuaded Colchester manager Paul Lambert to bring him to Essex for a fee believed to be around £45,000 and his acquisition proved to be a bargain.

Affectionately nicknamed ‘Beast’ by the U’s fans, the strong and athletic Okuonghae barely missed a game in his debut season in League One and ended up skippering the side for most of the campaign, also signing a new deal.

His second season at The Weston Homes Community Stadium was effected badly by injury though, the aforementioned foot problem limiting him to just 17 appearances.

Your view

Welcome to the Green Un, please log in to share your views.

Forgotten your password?

Not a member yet?

Register to create your own unique Green Un account for free.

Signing up is free, quick and easy and offers you the chance to add comments, personalise the site with local information picked just for you, and more.

<script type="text/javascript">

function loadCommentsDynamic(json) {
      if( json.loginStatus.email ) {
      $('#frm-email-input').val( json.loginStatus.email );
      }
      if (json.loginStatus.loggedIn) {
      $('.loggedout').empty();
      $('#username').text( json.loginStatus.userName );
      } else {
      $('.loggedin').empty();
      }
      }

$(document).ready(function() {
      $.getJSON('/ajax?action=loginStatus', loadCommentsDynamic);
      });

</script>
    • Very encouraging that Paul Lambert signed him for Colchester given what he's gone on to achieve. 
    • edited June 2011
      Very encouraging that Paul Lambert signed him for Colchester given what he's gone on to achieve. 
      My thoughts too @dabos but do have to factor in they paid £45k for him so was a punt that's paid off I suppose.
    • Just seen this on skysports-:

Colchester boss John Ward has poured cold water on reports claiming Charlton have made a bid for defender Magnus Okuonghae.

The 25-year-old centre-half has reportedly caught the eye of Addicks boss Chris Powellimage despite missing the second half of last season through injury.
      But Ward,image who is just back from a two-week holiday, says he is unaware of any offers for his players.
      He told the Gazette: "I don't know where this report has come from.
      "I have not heard of any interest shown in any of my players and I
      know that kind of information would find me out wherever I am."

• If John Still is so good - and has so many sought after players, how come they got relegated?

you could equally ask: how did they climb out of the conference and into the football league?. And, they were relegated along with a team who beat us in the play offs the previous year, And they ran on reportedly the lowest budget in the division, And, the fact that Still had continually to sell players to make ends meet fatally weakened the daggers survival prospects.
      So does he have the ability to make silk purses out of sow's ears or not?  At best unproven at this level, and certainly with the expectation being at a club like ours will bring.
      what's 'expectation' got to do with it?  A manager selects a team to go out and win football matches. Said manager should expect his team to win be It Manchester United or the Dog and Piddle
      Quite right.  John Still to replace Fergie. 
    • If John Still is so good - and has so many sought after players, how come they got relegated?

you could equally ask: how did they climb out of the conference and into the football league?. And, they were relegated along with a team who beat us in the play offs the previous year, And they ran on reportedly the lowest budget in the division, And, the fact that Still had continually to sell players to make ends meet fatally weakened the daggers survival prospects.
      So does he have the ability to make silk purses out of sow's ears or not?  At best unproven at this level, and certainly with the expectation being at a club like ours will bring.
      what's 'expectation' got to do with it?  A manager selects a team to go out and win football matches. Said manager should expect his team to win be It Manchester United or the Dog and Piddle
      Quite right.  John Still to replace Fergie. 
      By the time the senile old bugger retires (Lord Alexson that is) JS will be England manager and we'll have won the WC and maybe the chain as well. 
    • @LincsAddick Are you John Still?
    • @LincsAddick Are you John Still?
      no ... Still John
    • wow a center back might down down charlton athletic omg
    • Sponsored links:

• thank you

• Sky just put a story that Reading might be interested if Mills goes to Wolves .Ipswich were also mentioned along with us as having an interest.
    • think ipswich town will do excellent next season
    • Sky just put a story that Reading might be interested if Mills goes to Wolves .Ipswich were also mentioned along with us as having an interest.

I thought Jason Pearce was the one supposed to be on the verge of moving to Reading?? If we're against Ipswich or Reading I can't see us having much joy in getting him. At least we're after a decent level of player though.