Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Favorite stand up comedian?

Comments

• ross noble
  • Laura Solon
  • Bill Hicks, Stewart Lee + saw Mark Steel doing stand up on the theme of the french revolution and it was hilarious though I think he has dubious taste in football teams....
    Highly dubious, but his historical series on tv was superb.
  • Bill Bailley is fantastic live but Izzard is probably still my favourite.
  • Loved Bill Hicks until he started ripping off Dennis Leary.
    LOL
    Very good.

I agree with East Stand. The finest stand-up ever, I believe, is Richard Pryor.
  • does anybody (other than Chirpy) find Michael Mcintyre anything other than irritating? - never met anybody who likes him. 

Yes, the novelty of McIntyre shaking his hair is wearing a bit thin! Also it might be an idea for him to remove is bugle from Simon Cowells 'arris!

• Lee Evans

XL tour was great..

BUT he swears too much an his other performances are poor and he repeats too much material.

• when i worked in the comedy biz few years ago, i once saw lee evans try to do an hour of satire and political high brow material, the room was dead silent, he bombed so bad, after about 15 mins of silence he went f%%k this, then started his usal slapstick routines and he brought the whole room to tears,
  • David Cameron, Nick 'the peg' Clegg, Ed Milliband, Vince 'bald eagle' Cable, George 'ozzoe ozzie ozzie' Osborne and all the other unfunny and totally unconvincing comedians of the Westminster school.

But seriously, years ago, Lenny Bruce, Richard Pryor, Tommy Cooper, Dickie Henderson, Ken Dodd, Henny Youngman, (now take my wife .. pleeeese)

Recently: Mcintyre, Mack, Leary, Seinfeld

I thang you !!! .

• Micky Flanagan for me.

Also like Lee Mack, Stuart Francis & Andy Parsons.
  • Sponsored links:

• Loved Bill Hicks until he started ripping off Dennis Leary.
    LOL
    yep good one hawksmore, forgot about richard prior as well as perhaps the father of them all Lenny bruce
    Very good.

• Can't believe I forgot Bill Hicks in my list, one of my all time heroes... buffoon. (Me, not him) 
  • Milton Jones
  • lee Evans, seen him live and have all his performances, just looking at his face makes me laugh!
  • Was at 02 last night Peter Kaye ..................is the Number 1

• edited June 2011
    Loved Bill Hicks until he started ripping off Dennis Leary.
    LOL
    yep good one hawksmore, forgot about richard prior as well as perhaps the father of them all Lenny bruce
    Very good.

Don't get me started on Lenny Bruce. Obsessive fan of his. I even emailed Governor Patakis in New York about 6 or 7 years ago to offer my support for his attempt to get Bruce's outstanding NY conviction overturned. He did, too. If you have Sky Atlantic, they're showing a new documentary fairly regularly about Bruce called Looking For Lenny, although the definitive documentary is Lenny Bruce: Swear To Tell The Truth.

And in keeping with the thread, I saw Eddie Izzard play Lenny Bruce in the West End about 10 years ago. I could've done without his meat and two veg swinging in front of my face during the matinee performance, though. As one wag wrote at the time, 'Unlike Bruce, Izzard clearly isn't Jewish!'
  • Bill Bailey
  • Bill Hicks. A legend. Also saw Time Vine live. Laughed so hard in the space of an hour my jaw ached afterwards. 
  • Milton Jones

Was on MTW last night.

Never heard of him before but had me in bits.

• Jerry Sadowitz - Obviously not for everyone, but in my eyes a completely mental Genius. Frankie Boyle is a very, very poor man's version of him.

Bill Bailey - Absolutely brilliant live, and very varied (stand-up, music, projections etc), been in tears of laughter, really life-affirming - always a great show

Stewart Lee - Another acquired taste, but just cannot stop laughing if you 'get' him. Can't stand his smug sycophantic fans, though I have a feeling neither can he at times :-D

I saw Macintyre last year, and I genuinely laughed once. Found it depressing that people actually found him funny. Cannot stand Jason or Ed Byrne, or Richard Herring (if you can class him as a comedian) either.

Milton Jones is pretty funny though, it has to be said - king of the one-liners!

Horses for courses and all that.
  • Sponsored links:

• Stewart Lee - Another acquired taste, but just cannot stop laughing if you 'get' him. Can't stand his smug sycophantic fans, though I have a feeling neither can he at times :-D

Loved his line to the audience the other night, "you get the comedy you deserve"!
  • Ricky gervais/Jimmy Carr. So happy Lee Evans hasn't been mentioned (much). Most. Overrated. Comedian. Ever.

• Stewart Lee - Another acquired taste, but just cannot stop laughing if you 'get' him. Can't stand his smug sycophantic fans, though I have a feeling neither can he at times :-D

Loved his line to the audience the other night, "you get the comedy you deserve"!
    His IRA/Al Quaeda routine the other week was hilarous.
  • Saw Bo Burnham tonight, very good. 

• Jerry Sadowitz - Obviously not for everyone, but in my eyes a completely mental Genius. Frankie Boyle is a very, very poor man's version of him.

Bill Bailey - Absolutely brilliant live, and very varied (stand-up, music, projections etc), been in tears of laughter, really life-affirming - always a great show

Stewart Lee - Another acquired taste, but just cannot stop laughing if you 'get' him. Can't stand his smug sycophantic fans, though I have a feeling neither can he at times :-D

I saw Macintyre last year, and I genuinely laughed once. Found it depressing that people actually found him funny. Cannot stand Jason or Ed Byrne, or Richard Herring (if you can class him as a comedian) either.

Milton Jones is pretty funny though, it has to be said - king of the one-liners!

Horses for courses and all that.
    Jerry's a good shout.  Some kind of genius, but strongly disagree with the Richard Herring comment, by far the funniest British comedian on the circuit IMO.  Not a big fan of Stewart Lee, though I think it could be his laconic studenty delivery grating on me.  Good line from him the other week when someone in the audience shouted something out and he sighed and said he wished all the punters would just go away and leave him and the broadsheet journalists.
  • Rich Hall had my fella in fits of giggles.  I was close to beinging in tears of laughter many times in a very small venue.  

Eddie Izzard - love it when he goes off on a tangent.

Bill Bailey - still not seen him live seems to always clash with something else

Can't remember his name put it in my phone but was on a Butlins 90's weekender in Bognor and I drunkenly deleted it but omg best stand up act I've ever seen and we used to go along to the Comedy Store loads with mates from work.  Hope like hell he makes it miles better than loads of stand ups around at the mo but very very blue. Wish I could remember his name!

• Going to see one of Paul Foot's "secret" Edinburgh warm up shows on 27th. Really looking forward to it. Bloke is,bonkers and absolutely brilliant.

Mart77 mentioned Jeff Innocent earlier. He has been doing Up the Creek for years. Pretty good.
  • No votes for Mark Thomas?

He's on tour:

http://www.markthomasinfo.co.uk/
  • Am a big fan of Jon Richardson, he is the new team captain on 8 out of 10 cats. Very good live imho.
  • Good call BFR
    Booking ticket tomorrow - thanks for the heads up