Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Gerald Smith RIP

edited May 2011 in General Charlton
I don't think he was a Charlton Lifer, but in case anyone knew him - I have just been shocked and immensely saddened to hear of the death of Gerald Smith who used to sit behind me in Row T, Block G of the East Stand. For the last thirteen years, seeing him and his daughter at The Valley has been part of my whole match day experience. He was a charming, modest and friendly guy and a totally dedicated supporter of CAFC - often at away games, reserve matches, and academy games. He had a wonderful relationship with his daughter, Rebecca, who I have watched grow from a giggly little six year old to the beautiful and smiling student she now is. Although she is at University she still came to most of the games with her dad and I will really miss their happy chatter behind me. Rebecca apparently rang the club today and asked them to get in touch with fans around them so that we wouldn't feel that she had and her dad had suddenly abandoned us and wonder why they are not be their seats next year.The club very efficiently got in contact  and told me the sad news. I have been in touch with her and she was, obviously, distraught and heart-broken at the loss of her beloved dad - he had gone in to hospital for a fairly routine operation on a valve in his heart. Unfortunately, everything that could go wrong, did go wrong and, after a week in intensive care, he died on Saturday. CAFC has lost a loyal supporter and my match days will never be quite the same again

Comments

• Very sad news, I feel for Rebecca and her family, and also for you N.
  • Very sad news but thanks for sharing that with us Nigel.
  •  

RIP

• Tough times
    RIP fellow addick
  • So sorry to hear this. RIP Sir.
  • edited May 2011
    RIP fellow Addick, RIP.
  • Sorry to hear the news

(it will be no consolation but the story does in part reflect on what makes the club (& I include the fans when I say this) special)
  • I was very sorry to hear the news about Gerald.  Met him a few times over the years as my ex-wife is good mates with his wife Sue and Rebecca was one of our bridesmaids many years ago now.  Our paths no longer cross but you really couldnt wish to meet a nicer family....my thoughts go out to Sue, Becca and eldest daughter Natalie tonight.  RIP Gerald.
  • Sponsored links:

• Thank you SheffieldRed.  I agree that this coming together in such sad times is what makes us all part of 'Charlton Athletic Football Club'.
  • Thanks for the touching tribute. Best wishes and condolences to Gerald Smith's family
  • Sad news to hear as always.

Went to Oakfield Lane Primary in Dartford with a Gerald Smith....Anyone have an idea what kind of age this Addick was when he sadly passed ?

• RIP Gerald Very sad news
  • Very sad news. RIP.
  • RIP Gerald.
  • RIP. Such a sad story.

It's a strange thing sitting in seats as you do meet the same old faces year in, year out and when one suddenly disappears you do notice an empty space (not literally). Whether you talk to them or not we all know who sits near us. Strange old world, football is.

My thoughts go out to Geralds family and friends.

BHR
  • RIP Gerald.
  • Very sad news. RIP fellow Addick
  • RIP Gerald. A fellow Addick and East Stander. 
  • Sponsored links:

• RIP Gerald.