Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Doctor Who Thread......

Comments

• Options
    Lost interest when Dr was a Jock ,now Dr is a Dorris !!!! Good job Brexit is coming or the next Dr might be French !!!!!

All Darleks are to be pink colour as they are gender fluid, Fabrics is dead long live Leuth
  • Options
    Watched the latest two parter with the kids (6&9) and what a load of rubbish. 

They need to go back to simpler storylines, written by new blood. 

Good versus evil, and they need to remember it is for kids. 

• Options
    MrOneLung said:

Bloody hell it was awful.
    Always thought Jodie Whittaker was a good actress, but sorry, she's a crap Doctor Who.
    Seems to lack any presence or charisma and is indistinguishable from her companions.
    Doesn't help that they are all Northern - I felt like I was trapped in an advert for Plusnet
  • Options
    I thought Spyfall was better than S11, but that's a low bar...

Uninspiring writing doesn't help, but Jodie doesn't dominate the screen, to me she's a character actor, not a lead role actor.
  • Options
    Chibnall seems to have relented from his infantile uber-woke sledgehammer moralising agenda of s11.
    He's still the worst thing bar none to have been inflicted on Dr Who in its 50+ years.  And I'm including Michael Grade's prattish cancelling of the series in 1989.
    Chibnall doesn't understand the distinction between telly for children and childish telly.
    There's no discernible plot nor any actual direction he relies exclusively on lengthy exposition - the final resort of the utterly talentless.
    Exposition = character 1 mansplaining the "story" to character 2 - might as well be Jackanory.  Drama of any quality at all requires "show, not tell".
    Spyfall initially showed a feint glimmer of promise but ep2 descended back into exposition and a shameless rewrite of Gallifrey's history.
    I'm no Whovian canon saddo but Tenant, Smith, Hurt and Capaldi all told the same story of the Time Wars, the demise of Gallifrey and the Time Lords and Dr's role therein.  Chibnall the clot just cut that out and clumsily replaced it in 2 minutes of expedience to vainly attempt to flesh out his Master's mania.
    Chibnall is the biggest problem by far.  This crop of companions are blatantly tokenistic and embarrassingly thinly drawn.  Graham and Ryan are gossamer thin and utterly redundant.  Bradley Walsh can't act his way out of a wet paper bag.  No idea if Tosin Cole can act at all, he's not had a single line of dialogue that doesn't make him sound catastrophically dim.  Yasmin Khan is the best of the three but that is no compliment.  Whitaker's talent is criminally under used.  I'm astonished she stuck it out after S11's horrible bilge.  Maybe she was too close to it to realise what dreadful sewage in which she'd been cast adrift.  The rest of s12 will have to be unrecognisable for her to stay and the series to survive.  Chibnall's Dr Who is career suicide for all concerned.
    If Chibnall had an atom of self-awareness or self-respect he'd have bailed after s11.
  • Options
    Tell us what you really think Stig. Don't hold back!
  • Options
    It was pretty rubbish. Easily cured by a few Daleks but they don't seem keen to use them.
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

that is exactly what i kept saying, that and "this is shit"
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

Point of order.  It's for families.  Kids can watch it and be scared, adults can enjoy it too because there's grown up stuff in there as well.  At least that's how it used to be.  Granted, that's a difficult balance to achieve but it's clearly beyond Chibnall's meagre talents.

I have absolutely no idea who the current Dr Who is for.  Maybe just those annoying woke types that bang on about inclusion, representation and never mind the story.
  • Options
    For those complaining about a female Doctor, this is the BBC of course and how many recognised genders are we up to at the moment?  Beware of what you wish for.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I started to watch the last episode having suffered the previous series. I won't waste any more time on the current nonsense that claims to be Doctor Who. An utter shambles of writing and casting.  
  • Options
    The next Dr Who should be a Dalek ticks the boxes re inclusion and gender neutrality.
  • Options
    For those complaining about a female Doctor, this is the BBC of course and how many recognised genders are we up to at the moment?  Beware of what you wish for.
    As it's the BBC she probably gets paid about half what Capaldi got. 
  • Options
    (in dalek voice) "did you just assume my gender?" 
  • Options
    In BBC Dalek voice "white ,male ,hetrosexual,meat eater----- exterminate exterminate".

• Options
    The Daleks have always been equal opportunity exterminators.
  • Options
    I watched 15 mins of it & then pressed delete.
  • Options
    Chibnall seems to have relented from his infantile uber-woke sledgehammer moralising agenda of s11.
    He's still the worst thing bar none to have been inflicted on Dr Who in its 50+ years.  And I'm including Michael Grade's prattish cancelling of the series in 1989.
    Chibnall doesn't understand the distinction between telly for children and childish telly.
    There's no discernible plot nor any actual direction he relies exclusively on lengthy exposition - the final resort of the utterly talentless.
    Exposition = character 1 mansplaining the "story" to character 2 - might as well be Jackanory.  Drama of any quality at all requires "show, not tell".
    Spyfall initially showed a feint glimmer of promise but ep2 descended back into exposition and a shameless rewrite of Gallifrey's history.
    I'm no Whovian canon saddo but Tenant, Smith, Hurt and Capaldi all told the same story of the Time Wars, the demise of Gallifrey and the Time Lords and Dr's role therein.  Chibnall the clot just cut that out and clumsily replaced it in 2 minutes of expedience to vainly attempt to flesh out his Master's mania.
    Chibnall is the biggest problem by far.  This crop of companions are blatantly tokenistic and embarrassingly thinly drawn.  Graham and Ryan are gossamer thin and utterly redundant.  Bradley Walsh can't act his way out of a wet paper bag.  No idea if Tosin Cole can act at all, he's not had a single line of dialogue that doesn't make him sound catastrophically dim.  Yasmin Khan is the best of the three but that is no compliment.  Whitaker's talent is criminally under used.  I'm astonished she stuck it out after S11's horrible bilge.  Maybe she was too close to it to realise what dreadful sewage in which she'd been cast adrift.  The rest of s12 will have to be unrecognisable for her to stay and the series to survive.  Chibnall's Dr Who is career suicide for all concerned.
    If Chibnall had an atom of self-awareness or self-respect he'd have bailed after s11.
    Just watched both episodes of Spyfall ... and you have it exactly right. 
  • Options
    And there’s this weeks lecture 
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    And there’s this weeks lecture 
    Yuk!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I quite enjoyed Spyfall, but that was dreadful
  • Options
    Today's episode really annoyed me and I'm in favour of inclusivity. What I'm not in favour of is taking the premise of the show (timelord travels through time and space and these are fixed points) and changing it to make a hamfisted point about how we are trashing the planet but "we can change our ways". No, we can't if we've been shown the future: that's kind of the whole grandfather paradox with time travel. Really annoyed with it over and above the clunky scripts and production. I get that they needed to move on from "Save the Universe every week" under the previous regime, but this is not working. 
  • Options
    Haven't watched the recent episodes yet. Reading the above, I just can't wait!
  • Options
    rananegra said:
    Today's episode really annoyed me and I'm in favour of inclusivity. What I'm not in favour of is taking the premise of the show (timelord travels through time and space and these are fixed points) and changing it to make a hamfisted point about how we are trashing the planet but "we can change our ways". No, we can't if we've been shown the future: that's kind of the whole grandfather paradox with time travel. Really annoyed with it over and above the clunky scripts and production. I get that they needed to move on from "Save the Universe every week" under the previous regime, but this is not working. 
    Blimey that's a generous appraisal!
    that was 50 minutes of infantile ranting bullshit
    "climate change message" my arse
    that's the sort of hysterical drivel that the climate change deniers point to when ridiculing the issue.
    Ep 3 was attributed to Ed Hime who was responsible for one of S12's lowest moments and that's saying something
    Interesting that this one was 10 minutes shorter than most of the Ch!bn@ll era, lots of overdubbed dialogue, many cuts and post production required?? Elastoplast on an axewound.
    If that's appropriate viewing for 7:10pm kid's TV, what the actual eff?  Those dregs were proper nasty - blatant ripoff Alien obv, plus the POTA ripoff finding old Earth writing on a wall proving they're on planet earth after all!!  BBC lawyers looking at royalty suits shortly as well as the death of one of their bigger revenue generators.
    That's it for me, I doubt I'll see any more of this preposterous insulting horse shit, which after nearly 50 years is heartbreaking.
    Take a bow Chibnall, you're the final nail.  
  • Options
    As an aside, with Spyfall part filmed in South Africa, and this story part filmed in Tenerife, this series of Doctor Who itself has a rather high carbon footprint...
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    There is one way to save Dr Who - have a spin off show about the Daleks - there are some great stories out there that don't involve the Doctor that could be adapted. Hopefully that would keep the plates spinning until the scriptwriters can get their house in order.

http://alteredvistas.co.uk/html/doctorless.html
  • Options
    Well as far as I can tell, the professional critics love the new series of Dr Who. I reckon that they all need to find new jobs as they are shit at their current ones.

https://metro.co.uk/2020/01/12/doctor-who-series-12-episode-3-review-orphan-55-is-a-brilliantly-woke-sci-fi-tale-where-jodie-whittaker-shines-12044879/

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/tv/doctor_who/s12/e01

It appears that CL is more in tune with the great British unwashed than the critics.
    https://www.thesun.co.uk/tvandshowbiz/10659956/doctor-who-ratings-fall-worst-ever/

TBH, most plays on R4 and just about any new drama produced by the BBC I've seen, all fit in with the current writing of Dr Who. I've come around to the idea that the BBC has outlived it's special status and needs to find it's own way in the world.
  • Options
    That Metro review was particularly nauseating.  They can't defend how Dr Who has been turned into a humourless hectoring lecture, so they try to sell the wokeness as a virtue.  Jokeshop writing.

The thing that does my head in is that science fiction has always addressed society's big issues, through allegory, extrapolation and imagination.  The subtlety and intelligence that the best sci-fi addresses the issues of today with is entirely absent.  It's so on the nose and blatant.  Dr Who used to have writers of the quality of Douglas Adams and Neil Gaiman.  Now it's just a parade of hacks who's TV writing credits are for cack like Emmerdale and Doctors.

• Options
    Terry Nation was the best