Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Doctor Who Thread......

Comments

• Seen more people preemptively complaining about the backlash that a woman has been chosen than any kind of backlash, outside of the Mail Online comment section and to be honest they'd moan about anyone other than Nigel Farage getting the nod.
  • To me it seems like people have intentionally gone out of their way to find people unhappy with the casting. Which there always will be.
  • It also seems as though most of those that are upset about the objections to a woman Doctor are not fans or watchers of the show.

When Kermorgant left, and fans complained, I don't remember non-Charlton fans sticking their noses in and objecting to the disappointment of losing a decent striker, in exchange for Polish Pete, who many thought they would like watching play a lot less.
  • It also seems as though most of those that are upset about the objections to a woman Doctor are not fans or watchers of the show.

When Kermorgant left, and fans complained, I don't remember non-Charlton fans sticking their noses in and objecting to the disappointment of losing a decent striker, in exchange for Polish Pete, who many thought they would like watching play a lot less.

he wasn't replaced by a bloody woman though...
  • Dr Who finished when Tom Baker stopped playing him. Does anyone remember the stand up card characters that were free with weetabix? I've still got some somewhere.

I do, though no idea what happened to them. I remember having the Doctor and the cybermen, but no others.

My son has little plastic daleks, cybermen, sontarans, oodh etc, just like airfix toy soldiers which came off a magazine.

Thought this last series was good, but the previous had dipped a lot and I really didn't like Clara. Stopped watching it with the kids but returned for this one. Both kids are happy about a female doctor. I just hope there's a bit less of "we have to save the universe again, this week" and a bit more of the tension that Dr Who should have.
    Oh and some new monsters/aliens rather than just reinventing the same ones.
  • Saga Lout said:

Saga Lout said:

Well I think it's a stupid decision, understandable in these PC times but stupid nonetheless. I don't think it is sexist to say that the Doctor has a specific gender.

Er, yes it is.
    In your opinion.

I'm not the target audience and as Airman says, it's sure got them a lot of publicity, so let's hope the scripts and the actors can deliver the goods.
    If you want a discussion about the subjective nature of one's view of the universe and everything in it, I'm happy to go there. However, saying a made-up character with a gender-neutral title has to be a specific gender is sexist, pure and simple.
  • This is a bit silly - Daleks have built in toilets.
  • Sponsored links:

• This is a bit silly - Daleks have built in toilets.

Surely they mist empty them from time to time?
  • Rumour on TV this morning that Bradley Walsh will be the new doctors new sidekick
  • DA9 said:

Rumour on TV this morning that Bradley Walsh will be the new doctors new sidekick

Some of the "chasers" are quite scary, they'd make good Doctor Who villains!
  • Saga Lout said:

Saga Lout said:

Well I think it's a stupid decision, understandable in these PC times but stupid nonetheless. I don't think it is sexist to say that the Doctor has a specific gender.

Er, yes it is.
    In your opinion.

I'm not the target audience and as Airman says, it's sure got them a lot of publicity, so let's hope the scripts and the actors can deliver the goods.
    If you want a discussion about the subjective nature of one's view of the universe and everything in it, I'm happy to go there. However, saying a made-up character with a gender-neutral title has to be a specific gender is sexist, pure and simple.
    Whatever. It's a fictional TV series I cannot be arsed to have any more debate about it.
  • Anyone want a tardis photo booth for Christmas parties drop me a pm
  • Anyone want a tardis photo booth for Christmas parties drop me a pm

As it's bigger on the inside, I assume you can hold the parties inside it!
  • I've just caught up with yesterday's Christmas special.

It's the best episode in quite some time.

If you watched it, how long did it take you to spot who the captain was going to turn out to be?

If you watched it, how long did it take you to spot who the captain was going to turn out to be?

Moment he met the two Doctors I said it.

I enjoyed it. Great speech at the end and some unsubtle digs at the sexist Who fanatics.

The Doctor is dead, long live the Doctor
  • Sponsored links:

• Ok. Not a great fan and only half watched it but what is the relevance of the person who the soldier was? Was it part of this story or part of an ongoing previous plot line?
  • MrOneLung said:

Ok. Not a great fan and only half watched it but what is the relevance of the person who the soldier was? Was it part of this story or part of an ongoing previous plot line?

Spoiler alert

He is the father/grandfather of the Brigadier character in the Jon Pertwee series.
  • edited December 2017
    MrOneLung said:

Ok. Not a great fan and only half watched it but what is the relevance of the person who the soldier was? Was it part of this story or part of an ongoing previous plot line?

Like you, I didn’t get the reference, but have since been told that Lethbridge-Stewart was the name of a recurring character in the early Doctor Who series, appearing most frequently with Jon Pertwee’s incarnation. Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart was a trusted ally and became the chief of UNIT, (the organisation now run by the character called Kate Stewart in a few episodes from the more recent series. Kate is the Brigadier’s daughter.) The captain in the Christmas special turns out to be one of the brigadier’s grandfathers.
    Apologies in advance to any superfans if I’ve made any errors here. :smile:
  • MrOneLung said:

Spoiler alert

He is the father/grandfather of the Brigadier character in the Jon Pertwee series.
    A sneaky reference there to the often not sung second chorus of the once Covered End favourite ditty of the Adams Family...’your grandfather is your father....’

It wasn’t a massive shock to me, as the show for the few years has tended to wallow a lot in its history...
  • BBC America is counting down to the new series, and it’s Blink time.

One of the best episodes ever. My other half went straight to bed when she realized what episode it was.
  • Loved Blink. Sally Sparrow should have gone on to be a companion in my opinion. Subsequent Weeping Angels stories haven't been as good
  • Now that we are about to see the first episodes featuring the female Who, it's time to talk about her successor. My vote goes to Brian, the talking dog in Family Guy.
  • Saga Lout said:

Now that we are about to see the first episodes featuring the female Who, it's time to talk about her successor. My vote goes to Brian, the talking dog in Family Guy.

Or follow Roland's logic and have an interim for 6 months
  • Diane Abbott, the Doctors new form would strike fear into any scary alien.
    Barring that, Grayson Perry, Eddie Izzard, surely time it’s about time lords became inclusive.