Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Parky to Barnsley ?

edited May 2011 in General Charlton

Tonight's Sheffield Star puts Parky on Barnsley's shortlist . Good luck to him .

BARNSLEY will not appoint a new manager until next week at the earliest, but the club have stressed they are working “tirelessly” to find a replacement for Mark Robins.

Robins resigned 11 days ago after just short of two seasons in charge at Oakwell - and since then the Reds have been frustrated they haven’t found their new manager.

Former Reds boss Danny Wilson was initially lined up but quickly ruled himself out of the running and is now a hot favourite to become the new Sheffield United manager, while Rochdale boss Keith Hill decided to stay and pursue his blossoming career at Rochdale.

Reds owner Patrick Cryne had been in discussions with Hill for the 42-year-old to fill the vacant manager’s position at Oakwell, impressed with his excellent record in getting the Lancashire club promoted to League One and securing their status last season with a top ten finish.

But Hill stressed: “I’m very much Rochdale’s manager and I’ll be working hard towards next season.

“I’ve been in discussions and negotiations with the owners at Barnsley and they’ve been really, really good. It’s been enlightening.

“But at the end of the day I couldn’t commit to Barnsley at the moment.”

The Star understands former Barnsley player Steve Agnew is now one of the favourites, with hot competition from former Charlton Athletic boss Phil Parkinson and current Leyton Orient manager Russell Slade.

Bournemouth manager Lee Bradbury is the latest name to be linked to the position, which the Reds are hoping to fill sooner rather than later, especially with next Tuesday the renewal date for season tickets.

“We hope all of our season ticket holders will understand we’re trying to get the best manager we can for the job, we’re hopeful that won’t prevent supporters from renewing their season tickets,” said Reds’ director Don Rowing.

Season tickets are on sale now from £315, which works out an average of £13.70 per game. The club have also introduced a new category for full-time students aged 18-20, at £145, which works out at a cost of £6.30 per match.

Comments

• Options
    Good luck to him.  Hope he gets it.  Poor old Parky had a hard hand to play with us, managing decline, year on year.
  • Options
    Barnsley isn't exactly an easy gig though - no money in a tough league. Wonder if he wishes he'd taken the Huddersfield job now?
  • Options
    Barnsley isn't exactly an easy gig though - no money in a tough league. Wonder if he wishes he'd taken the Huddersfield job now?
    When you say wish... I wonder if you mean if he could turn the clock back and be paid nothing more than minimum wage for the rest of his working life then he would've bitten your arm off?! ;-)
  • Options
    When you say wish... I wonder if you mean if he could turn the clock back and be paid nothing more than minimum wage for the rest of his working life then he would've bitten your arm off?! ;-)

Well I'm sure he's very thankful to have been lucky enough to have a well paid career in football. Hardship is all relative though, and when the pressure is on for a football manager they'll feel the stress of their existence just the same as anyone else.

What I meant was, I wonder if he regrets hanging around at Charlton, who were admitedly a side in the Championship with parachute money in the bank at the time, rather than take the post at a club in a lower division but with a new ambitious (but seemingly sensible) owner. Ultimately he ended up preciding over one of the most difficult periods in our club's history and was thanked for his hard work with the sack just as the coffers might have been about to open and is now out of work scratching around for jobs at similarly disadvantaged clubs while Lee Clarke has been given backing and time to build his own team.

These are the decisions we all have to make in life though and I'm not passing judgement on the rights and wrongs of it all, just wondered from a human perspective whether he feels he made the right choice in staying at the Valley.

• Options
    edited May 2011
    sorry Exiled I think you misunderstood what I meant... I meant he'd jump at the chance in hindsight in my opinion

1. financial security at the club
    2. fresh start
    3. up north
    4. club on the up with ambition
    5. not exactly a recent fairytale so less pressure