Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Bothroyd released by Cardiff

For information only :-

Presumably, a Prem club will pick him up.

Striker Jay Bothroyd has been released by Cardiff after failing to agree new terms with the Championship outfit.

Comments

• Options
    can see one of the clubs going up to the Prem getting him
  • Options

Would have thought at his age he will feel this will be his lack crack at the Prem and with Euro 2012 next summer- he may feel he has a shot. However he struggled to maintain his early season form and maybe the England call up went to his head.

Can see him going to one of the promoted sides perhaps or WBA type team

• Options
    Maybe Newcastle if they make him a serious contract offer
  • Options
    Could imagine him at Stoke.
  • Options

maybe the England call up went to his head

Maybe he just isn't very good and probably says more about the quality of players England has to choose from at the moment than anything else
  • Options
    I always think he's one of those 'flatters to deceive' types. Didn't do much for Dave Jones in the play offs.
  • Options
    He wasn't very good when he played for us
  • Options

Well Cardiff flopped in the big games this season.

I wouls imagine he would join either Newcastle or Norwich City

• Options
    I can see him rocking up at Everton, They need some forwards and with him being free suits them.
  • Options
    Older now, probably matured on and off the pitch, has also been playing a division lower. Never got a long run of games with us either with Darren Bent around.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

West Ham on a free? Over-rated. Goes missing in the big games.

• Options
    He was good enough to get a new contract with us even just as a squad player, I was surprised when we didn't offer him terms.

I just looked on wikipedia the exact season we let him go... start of 2006/07

Ah yes, when Iain Dowie rode into town... and promptly released Chris Perry, Chris Powell and Jay Bothroyd... we probably saved just enough on wages to pay Simon Walton
  • Options
    Had his moments, too few I accept, but he I recall a glorious header from a Rommedahl cross against Newcastle
  • Options
    We never saw the best of Simon Walton ..... apparently only his girl friend has
  • Options

If memory serves my right didn't we decide to release him just after he's decided to wrap his Mercedes round a lampost whilst asleep at the wheel because of 'medication'.

• Options
    Had his moments, too few I accept, but he I recall a glorious header from a Rommedahl cross against Newcastle

Scored a cracker from a free kick at the Covered End against Orient in the FA Cup.

He wasn't match fit when he came to us as he'd been in Italy and not played a lot.

• Options
    Would be funny if he ended up playing in the prem for swansea
  • Options

If memory serves my right didn't we decide to release him just after he's decided to wrap his Mercedes round a lampost whilst asleep at the wheel because of 'medication'.

The official line was that he blacked-out & had the accident. Hospital tests later revealed an underlying problem that left him on medication.
  • Options
    Good Riddance, crap tosser with fancy coloured boots !!!
  • Options

He was a lot chuffing better than Marcus Bent who we kept in preference to Bothroyd. Not the most consistent player in the world, but he's has a lot of talent - you don't get into the Arsenal academy without somthing about you.

As others have said, would be a good option for lower Prem team - maybe somebody like a Fulham as an alternative to Bobby Z. He's a big lad who can play a bit too so could suit a Stoke or a Blackburn or someone like that.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    They haven't release him - he refused to sign a new contract. He'll end up at someone like West Ham, QPR, Newcastle or Stoke
  • Options
    Bothroyd has really matured into a good player and I think his England cap that he earned was deserved after the hard work he's put in for Cardiff all season. Definately a Premiership quality player now and for me he was the only one who looked capable of producing something for Cardiff against Swansea in their playoff semi-final a few weeks ago. Did really like him at Charlton and I was disappointed that he and Darren Bent didn't play together more often as I think that it could have been a very good partnership, we can add his release to the catalogue of decisions that Iain Dowie got wrong at this club.
  • Options
    I always thought he was the clumsiest-looking player on the ball when he was with us. A killer freekick on him, though.
  • Options
    Bothroyd has really matured into a good player and I think his England cap that he earned was deserved after the hard work he's put in for Cardiff all season. Definately a Premiership quality player now and for me he was the only one who looked capable of producing something for Cardiff against Swansea in their playoff semi-final a few weeks ago. Did really like him at Charlton and I was disappointed that he and Darren Bent didn't play together more often as I think that it could have been a very good partnership, we can add his release to the catalogue of decisions that Iain Dowie got wrong at this club.
    Whilst I enjoy blaming Dowie (and Pardew) for most things that have gone wrong at this club over the last few years, I'm pretty sure Bothroyd was release because of a clause in his contract that stipulated that it would not be renewed unless he played a certain amount of games. That was Curbs' last season in charge. I might be wrong but I seem to remember a quote for Murray/Curbishley at the time confirming this.
  • Options
    Set for any number of last weeks £40 million survivors.  Blackburn or Wolves, anyone?
  • Options
    who is going to want him?, too slow, too lazy, too fond of himself
  • Options
    done well since leaving us so plenty of teams will chase him
  • Options
    who is going to want him?, too slow, too lazy, too fond of himself
    Probably about half of the Premier League!
  • Options
    Wasnt Sunderland after him at one point aswell and former team mate Joe Ledley wants him at Celtic
  • Options

Whilst I enjoy blaming Dowie (and Pardew) for most things that have gone wrong at this club over the last few years, I'm pretty sure Bothroyd was release because of a clause in his contract that stipulated that it would not be renewed unless he played a certain amount of games. That was Curbs' last season in charge. I might be wrong but I seem to remember a quote for Murray/Curbishley at the time confirming this.

I think you are correct about that being a stipulation in his contract that he would get another year if he played x amount of games but I believe Dowie made the principal decision of letting him go and even if he didn't he could have always just given him another deal.

On another note hopefully we can see the Bent and Bothroyd partnership again soon for England!