Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Obsessive Compulsive Disorder

edited May 2011 in General Charlton
I know that most of us probably just can't understand it, but you have to have a degree of sympathy with people that suffer from this. I guess they just can't help themselves really.

You know the sort of thing, can't leave the house until they have had exactly 100 brushes of their hair. Then they get to the end of the road and have to come back to check the gas has been turned off - three times. Abusing everyone as a default position. Keep reading and slagging off internet forums from which they are banned, etc, etc. 

Sad really. I guess it must be hard to make friends and lead a "normal" life. They have my sympathy. We need to help and understand these poor people as much as we can.

What do you do that's a bit OCD?

Comments

• Is Charlton life your obsessive compulsive disorder, Off_it ?

I know it's probably mine!
  • Nah mate, getting drunk is how it manifests itself in me!

• I wash my hands more than Steven Gerrard. Probably not what this thread was really about, though.
  • I don't know if it's OCD of sorts, but I like everything to be tidy, straight etc. On my old bedside cabinet nothing could touch eachother, remote controls in a certain order, an equal parallel distance apart etc. And when people moved them I got annoyed.

In my car the my front seats have to be exactly the same distance back, reclined the same amount. And if people move them when they get in fine, but as soon as they're out I put it back to how it was.

And finally if say I kick something with my right foot/hit something with my right hand I then have to kick or hit something with my left foot/hand otherwise it doesn't feel right.

Okay, maybe I do have it!
  • let it go fuck me
  • let it go fuck me
    I'd rather not, if it's all the same old boy. I doubt you're my type.
  • ha ha
  • When I change the TV volume, I feel compelled to leave the volume on an even number 24 or 26. Just can't be doing with say 25   :-)
  • I do that as well CE and in the car.
  • Go to hoover the house every night. Got to have fridge with meat on one shelf and dairy on other. Got to write my diary every night. Compulsively check my EBAY site and have to send all parcels the next day. Have a work diary with jobs list to be done in order. Have to have my classroom tidy with kids work files in correct order on correct shelves. Get upset when there's something hits me in a 'crisis management' sort of way. Get pissed off when my wife spends all my money on Saturday in town and stops me watching / listening to / going to football in the afternoon with my mate. Etc Etc.

This is all normal, right?

• Sponsored links:

• Go to hoover the house every night. Got to have fridge with meat on one shelf and dairy on other. Got to write my diary every night. Compulsively check my EBAY site and have to send all parcels the next day. Have a work diary with jobs list to be done in order. Have to have my classroom tidy with kids work files in correct order on correct shelves. Get upset when there's something hits me in a 'crisis management' sort of way. Get pissed off when my wife spends all my money on Saturday in town and stops me watching / listening to / going to football in the afternoon with my mate. Etc Etc.

This is all normal, right?

Yes.

Apart from the fridge bit.

• Not much but i can not leave electrical items plugged in. Only thing i leave plugged in is the Fridge and the Sky Box. Even if the switch is off, i have to remove the plug. I can not cope with it!

Finished with the kettle, or microwave, or toaster etc. The missus switches them off at the wall, and i have to go around after and unplug everything. Before i go out, i make sure all is unplugged and then go.

:-(

• My wife has to hoover the house every year !

She has to hoover when we are not going to be there ie before we go away on a 2 week holiday.

WTF !

• My wife has to hoover the house every year !

She has to hoover when we are not going to be there ie before we go away on a 2 week holiday.

WTF !

I wouldn't once a year compulsive.
  • I think everyone has OCD to some degree - it depends on your own definition and interpretation of the words 'Obsessive', 'Compulsive' and 'Disorder' really. I have to have all my CDs in alphabetical order. It really irks me when the wife puts one back out of order. I'm also mildly obsessive about my lawn - one quarter of it is horrible and yellow and I find myself thinking about it getting worse whenever it's sunny. Worryingly, I'm starting to develop what most people would consider 'real' OCD traits - a couple of times in the last six months I've got all the way to the bus stop then had to go back to the house to check I actually locked the front door (I did, on both occasions)
  • I think everyone has OCD to some degree - it depends on your own definition and interpretation of the words 'Obsessive', 'Compulsive' and 'Disorder' really. I have to have all my CDs in alphabetical order. It really irks me when the wife puts one back out of order. I'm also mildly obsessive about my lawn - one quarter of it is horrible and yellow and I find myself thinking about it getting worse whenever it's sunny. Worryingly, I'm starting to develop what most people would consider 'real' OCD traits - a couple of times in the last six months I've got all the way to the bus stop then had to go back to the house to check I actually locked the front door (I did, on both occasions)
    Imagine if you hadn't checked your door and it was unlocked, someone could have got into your house and re-arranged your Cd's!!
    Imagine if you hadn't checked your door and it was unlocked, someone could have got into your house and re-arranged your Cd's!!
    LOL...
  • I'm forever checking things are locked or switched off.

However I've put it down to senility as I get older rather than OCD. Maybe I'm wrong.

One thing that might be OCD is that I don't like to see unread notices on CL threads. I have to open them even if I don't actually read what's there!

• I am one of the most untidy people on the planet. In fact a Health and Safety Officer once took a photo of my desk at work to use on a course he was giving as an example of bad practice. I now share an office with a bloke who I think has OCD and occasionally when I am out of the office I come back to find that my desk has been meticulously tidied, although it doesn't take me long to mess it up again. But on one worrying occasion, he had done his usual tidying up and had sharpened my pencils to a potentially lethal point. He'll make someone a good husband one day.
    Quite literally LOL. Made me chuckle - very good :)
  • Sponsored links:

• I have OCD but the wife is the complete opposite. I have to check all the doors are locked three times before I go to bed. Couldn't do it the other night because the wife was out. Came downstairs the next morning and the front door was wide open as if it were an invite to the world to clean us out. She hadn't, in her drunken state, even shut the door properly let alone locked it!
  • I am almost the total opposite. I do nothing the same way twice, never consistent about leaving electronics on/off and no real superstitions at all... It drives my family crazy trying to get me to organise. Possibly this goes all the way back around and hits it from the other direction!
  • edited May 2011

I'm forever checking things are locked or switched off.

However I've put it down to senility as I get older rather than OCD. Maybe I'm wrong.

One thing that might be OCD is that I don't like to see unread notices on CL threads. I have to open them even if I don't actually read what's there!

same as len

i have Irritable Bowel Syndrome and always panic when we get down to the last dozen or so toilet rolls and always like there to be a full quota of bog rolls in all the loos , don't ever want to be left without the paper

when just myself and the girlfriend lived in a flat in sidcup at one point i had 98 bog rolls in the cupboard in the flat ...***WIBBLE***

• My GF says everything in my life is obsessive, compulsive ........and disordered.

Just because I can never find anything and turn up late sometimes.
  • I'm OCD about footwear. I like my trainers to be absolutely box fresh at all times. I put white laces in the wash after every wear, put gaffa tape on the inside of the bottom of my raw selvage denim, so I don't get denim stains on my trainers (adidas Originals or Vans Chukkas), and I carry a little pack of wetwipes to ensure the outsole is always clean, and a suede brush if the shoes are suede. I once missed the kick-off when we were away at Fulham because I refused to walk across the grass in the park on the way to the ground with my vintage adidas Kegler Supers on. Yeah, I'm frickin' nuts.
  • The wife is OC about tidying up. We have three cats and when they use their litter tray they tend to get some litter on the floor. The dustpan is straight out and there are stern words for the poor little kittehs.

Who promptly go and do it again...

We were late for work once cos she had to sweep up four times in the morning before we could leave the house.
  • edited May 2011
    When I change the TV volume, I feel compelled to leave the volume on an even number 24 or 26. Just can't be doing with say 25   :-)

How odd (or should I say even), I had that affliction for a while (did the same with cruise control on the car!!!). I forced myself to choose odd numbers and I'm now back to normal I think. 

• edited May 2011
    You sound like you're from Croyden, Hawsksmoor.

;o)
  • I went round my mums the other day and she was using a dust pan and brush to tidy the garden. WTF!
  • I went round my mums the other day and she was using a dust pan and brush to tidy the garden. WTF!
    Oh god, yeah. The wife did that the other week.