Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Closest you've come to death

Admittedly this has been taken from the forum of another south london club, but interesting nonetheless.
Fortunately i've had a relatively normal life, so expect me to get him by a bus tomorrow.
So who has been taking all the luck which our club has needed so desperately?

Comments

• Options
    I was crossing a road in the New Cross area and thought it was 2 lanes. Turned out it was 3 and I ran out into the side of a fast moving car. About half a second earlier and I'd have been in front of it instead. Absolutely bricked myself when I realised how close I'd come.
  • Options
    1. When i was younger I went horse riding in wales with the family. My horse started galloping which was terrifying I fell off and it nearly stamped on my head.
    2. Nearly got ran over by a tram when i was on holiday.

Not that much near to death but close calls.
  • Options
    I'll go one better than that, I was knocked over by a car when I was 10 in Hilly Fields, Brockley. Twenty stitches down the middle of my forehead. For years I thought the insides of ambulances were red; I thought it was some sort of calming colour. Then I realised, of course, it was because I had blood streaming into my eyes. I was told they re-tarmaced that little stretch of road afterwards because of my claret all over it
  • Options
    Went to hospital with stomach pains, my large intestine had burst if they did not operate that night, they said i would have been dead in teh morning
  • Options

On a whim I got off the train that crashed at Cannon Bridge a few years ago at London Bridge rather than carry on to Cannon Street.

I missed the IRA bomb at LB station by three/four minutes.

An emergency landing after an engine failed on take-off at Frankfurt Airport.

That's about it...

• Options
    Only 6 lives to go then go BFR mind how you go the fan base is dwindling enough as it is!
  • Options
    Thank God (and touch wood), not very close... an aborted flight and emergency landing at Orlando is about as death-defying as it's got for me and I'd like to keep it that way!
  • Options
    When I was about 18 months old, my dad woke during the night and checked on me, I was blue in the cot. Rushed me up to Guy's as we only in Guinness Building at London Bridge. Had a tracheotomy performed on me there and then.
  • Options
    Had Leukemia at 17, was a tough year but got through it.
  • Options
    Almost got hit in the face by a firework some idiot let off in Leicester Square a few years back.

Fell off a swing when I was a kid and landed on my neck - only muscle damage. I do wonder how bad it could've been if my head had tilted slightly backwards.

That's about as close as I've come I think.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Was at the old Den way back on Boxing day in 1976 and Tony Burman equalised for us seconds before the final whistle.

I cheered. Bad mistake.

• Options
    edited May 2011
    Was in a fish breeding barn fighting a fire when it "flashed over", not great but luckily we were still trying to work out how to get into the room properly as it was so smoke logged and the vats filled most of the open barn-like structure
  • Options
    When I was in my mid-30s I managed to contract pneumonia and pleurisy. Boy, that was unpleasant! I was in a bad way and at one point was pretty convinced my time was up - that thought started around about the time I had some visits from friends, some of whom had moved away and I hadn't seen in a while - it occurred to me that there was a reason they'd made the trip. I remember being quite calm - my one real regret being the thought that I'd never see my boys grow up.
  • Options
    At 16 I was riding a scooter home from school (Catford Boys) and a bus suddenly stopped in front of me.  I hit the brakes but couldn't stop and decided to swing round the outside of the bus only to see an articulated lorry heading straight towards me!  Thought I was gonna be completely flattened and I tucked up against the side of the bus and somehow the lorry sped by and just brushed my arm...didn't end there though.  Fed up with scooters I moved on to motorbikes and 6 months later a van pulled out in front of me in Perry Hill, Sydenham.  I hit the bonnet - flew over the top - and then hit the kerb.  My crash helmet was split completely down the middle and I had several X-Rays and a sore neck for a while...but no serious damage.  Oh the joys of yoof.
  • Options
    Was in a car being driven around Accra in Ghana a few years ago. The driver decides he wants to show me where their president lives. He goes speeding up the driveway towards the entrance of the palace, where I could only just vaguely see a building behind some huge walls. Suddenly a couple of angry soldiers start shouting at us, so we do a u-turn to leave. Next thing I know one of the soldiers is sticking his machine gun through the window at me and screaming in a language I didn't understand.

After a long argument with the driver he finally stops pointing the gun at me. I look at the driver who just says 'I think you should give him some money'. The equivalent of 50p later we're back on the road and then the driver just says 'we probably shouldn't have done that'.

• Options
    Was in a fish breeding barn fighting a fire when it "flashed over", not great but luckily we were still trying to work out how to get into the room properly as it was so smoke logged and the vats filled most of the open barn-like structure

If you said 'Backdraft' everyone would know what you meant ; )

On Tower bridge with a mate in the 80s when a potential jumper decided to go, and tried to take us both with him.

Fortunately, he missed!

• Options
    1-Food poisoning from eating a dodgy muscle when I was 9 years old.
    I was so I'll and dehydrated that when I was sent to Sydnam children's hospital I was told that I would not have lasted another day.

2- When I was five I tried to stop our from door from slamming shut on me . The problem is it was a glass door and my hand went strait through it. I screamed cos I had broken the glass then realized the walls were turning red with my blood as I has severed arturies in my wrist.
    My mum nearly had a heart attack and my neighbor wrapped my arm and rushed me to the hospital. Still have a nasty scar in my wrist 38 years later.
  • Options
    A toss of a coin sent me and two mates to Koh Samui and not Phuket when the Tsunami hit.
  • Options
    In the 60's I was a front seat passenger in a car doing 70 up the M1 when we had a front tyre burst. We went through the central barrier, missed a Lorry full of bricks by inches, dived over the banking rolling over as we went and landed upside down at the bottom without injuries ( no seat belts in those days ). The police said that we were the 20th to go off the side that month, and the first without blood.
  • Options

Was in a car being driven around Accra in Ghana a few years ago. The driver decides he wants to show me where their president lives. He goes speeding up the driveway towards the entrance of the palace, where I could only just vaguely see a building behind some huge walls. Suddenly a couple of angry soldiers start shouting at us, so we do a u-turn to leave. Next thing I know one of the soldiers is sticking his machine gun through the window at me and screaming in a language I didn't understand.

After a long argument with the driver he finally stops pointing the gun at me. I look at the driver who just says 'I think you should give him some money'. The equivalent of 50p later we're back on the road and then the driver just says 'we probably shouldn't have done that'.

how much did you haggle him down from?

• Sponsored links:

• Options

When I was 11, I lost control on a pair of skis and hurtled into the lodge at the end of the slope head first.

And I had to walk down Margate High Street in a suit today. Fuck me, how I got out alive is anyone's guess.

• Options
    Nearly fell off Mount Meru in Tanzania on a World Challenge hike, here's a picture of what I would have fallen from, and into........

• Options

Three near misses in a month in 1976:

1. Electrocuted by my own ridiculous extension lead - a plug at each end!!!

2. Two cars collided at a crossroads, locked together and ploughed through a barrier. Stopped inches short of me

3. Hissing camping gas sent a flame right up my legs - fortunately just a few singed hairs.

• Options
    Had a terrible habit of chewing pen lids when I first started office work. Swallowed one and was choking and close to blacking out when the office first aider did the heimlich on me.

Nearly drowned in a canoe. Doing eskimo roll drills. I kept my trainers on and my feet got stuck. Instructors thought I was pissing around. I wasnt.

Knocked off motorbike on A20. Filtering at about 50mph and a van changed lanes. Broke a few ribs, my wrist, displaced my collar bone, fractured eye socket and severe bruising to my liver.

Got mugged in Thamesmead when I was 15. Fought back and got hit in the back of the head with a brick. Knocked spark out and head butted the kerb. Sent home from hospital with the all clear. Collapsed at school 3 days later. Had a depressed fracture of the skull which the dr missed. Still have a huge dent on the top of my head now.

Finally. As a kid we used to dare each other to jump milk bottles on bmx's. Fecked it up masdively and sliced my wrist open. Was terrifying.
  • Options
    I've actually "died" twice back in late 2003. Fortunately I was already in hospital & was resusitated.

Do I win? ;o)
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    I was crossing a road in the New Cross area and thought it was 2 lanes. Turned out it was 3 and I ran out into the side of a fast moving car. About half a second earlier and I'd have been in front of it instead. Absolutely bricked myself when I realised how close I'd come.
    Odd - my own 'closest to death experience' was crossing New Cross Road itself back when I was in school. There was an artic across the lights outside Addey & Stanhope and I decided to run under it instead of round it. Whilst it was still moving. And I had to duck so low I was almost on all fours. That was shockingly f***ing stupid.
  • Options

If you said 'Backdraft' everyone would know what you meant ; )

On Tower bridge with a mate in the 80s when a potential jumper decided to go, and tried to take us both with him.

Fortunately, he missed!

A flash over is a sudden and sustained transition from a developing to fully developed fire.  Basically it is when you have loads of fuel and oxygen to feed the fire and suddenly everything not involved catches as well even the air
  • Options
    Burst appendix in Afghan desert.

Meningitis coma for 10 days
  • Options
    I had severe gastroentertis a week before my 1st birthday i got told if i hadn't been a little fat sod as a baby i wouldn't be here now.