Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Top ten moments supporting Charlton

edited February 2007 in General Charlton
10 - Melrose hat trick against Citeh
9 - Salako utterly destroying Tranmere in a 3-2 win
8 - Thinking that every single minute Simonsen touched the ball he was going to beat four players and score
7 - Port Vale - away, promotion year - Millsy's dive for the pen - won 1-0 and it snowed - took the wife to be and dodging paper bags full of dogshit being thrown at the coach by the local pondlife
6 - Dennis - in the last minute
5 - Leaburn's equaliser against Norwich - played almost the whole game with ten men and drew 4-4
4 - Nicky Johns chucking the ball about eighty yards out to Leroy Ambrose in a night cup game against Orient (we won 5-2) in about 1982
3 - Walsh - Pompey - 05/12/92
2 - The playoff final
1 - Newton's goal in the playoff semi against Piswich - absolute football nirvana - it just doesn't get any better than that for me

Comments

• Options
    I thought the Melrose hatrick was against Everton?
  • Options
    Mike Flanagan scoring a hatrick against Spurs vs 1977.

Promotion to the First division under Lenny.

Since we're mentioning Jim Melrose...the goal in seven seconds at West Ham in a 3-1 routing.

The play-off Final, replay against Leeds and Shirtliff scoring those two late, late goals.

Drawing at Chelsea the following season to send them down instead of us.

Coming back from 3-0 down against Newcastle to win.

The 1997 promotion season, other than the final at Wembley, just watching a side grow in confidence from week-week and game to game. Other than the final beating a strong Middlesboro 3-0 at the Valley with Newton scoring two and Bright the other. With about twenty minutes to go I saw Paul Merson pull his shirt out of his shorts and stand there, hands on hips with a look on his face that said "we ain't gonna win this one".

Super Clive, the hatrick, the penalty shoot out, promotion with the last kick of not just the game but a brilliant season.

Scoring two late goals to come back from 2-0 down against Newcastle to draw after Andy Gray was doing his "game over" cliche.

Shaun Bartlett scoring twice against Man U.

Chelsea 4-2 Boxing Day.

Well that's 11...
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite]I thought the Melrose hatrick was against Everton?

It was against Everton, I was there and it pains me to say it, but it's the best Hatrick i have seen at Selhurst.
  • Options
    Super Clive's hatrick. Never seen a better hatrick scored in my life.....and winning at Wembley was the icing on the cake.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: son of selhurst[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite]I thought the Melrose hatrick was against Everton?

It was against Everton, I was there and it pains me to say it, but it's the best Hatrick i have seen at Selhurst.

Nah cest hattrick at Selhurst had to be Ronnie Rosenthals.

Left foot, Right foot, Header, on the trot.
  • Options
    1. Winning play OFF at Wembley
    2. BEATING MAN U at OT 1-0 Mart Stuart
    3. Beating spuds 1-0 david campbell
    4. walsh valley 5/12
    5 chelsea at the bridge paul miller
    6 promotion at sellout v wimbledon
    7 every paul motimer goal
    8 millwall in the snow
    9 dennis in the last minute
    10 .... winning the championship - som of the football we played that season was a joy to watch
  • Options
    1. Sunderland Play off final
    2. First game back at the Valley
    3. St Andrews Play off game
    4. My first Match - v Leicester 1979
    5. Battle of Stamford Bridge
    6. 3-1 @ West Ham - Melrose after 9 seconds
    7. Dennis in the last minute
    8. Morts taking the p @ Millwall in the snow
    9. Beating Arsenal 4-2 @ Highbury
    10. beating Man U at Old Tfrafford - next week
  • Options
    West Ham at Valley 4-2 Parker destroyed Bowyer, Kish scored
    Dennis at Sellout in last minute
    Danny Mills free kick at Villa Park
    Watching Paul Walsh in his early days as a professional
    Rufus tackle at Tottenham after coming back from a long term injury
    Chelsea 4-2 Parker ran the show
    Shirtliff goals vs Leeds in play off final
    Di Canio coming on vs Portsmouth away and truning the game into a 2-1 victory
    Bartlett goal vs Leicester
    Bartlett winner at Liverpool away
    Parker last minute winner at Leeds I have had to endure so much from Leeds fans over the years it was simply one of my best moments ever
  • Options
    All of the above are fantastic memories of supporting Charlton, though I'd love to add a couple, Cov away in the cup was freat and the two wins at Carlisle - particularly the second with Tolmie's own goal starting us on the way to the top flight for the first time in my life.
  • Options
    All the above but I'd add beating Bolton 4-1 at the Valley after being 1 down with 20 mins to go. Whoever lost went down to the old div three.

Also 1990 Man U away - last game of the Lennie Houdini spell in the top flight.

Being in the town hall when the return to the Valley was annouced.

And Millwall in the snow. Know it's been said but great night.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    No particular order except the last three

Newton's goal in Play-off against Ipswich
    Curbs' leaving speech
    Chelsea Boxing Day
    Di Canio's pre match warm up especially his keepy-uppy
    Oxford away 97/98 - played shite and won- i turned to my mate, dispite being really mid-table and said in total seriousness- we're going up this year
    Deano's pen save in the Cafc 1- Arsenal 0 NYD match (I have a gooner brother!)
    Danny Mills' free kick at Villa

3/ Dennis in the last minute
    2/ Robinson's equaliser against Manure-
    1/ Play off final- everything about it

(great thread Leroy- welcome aboard!)
  • Options
    Most of mine have already been mentioned

A few more:-

Bobby Goldthorpe and Killers brace against Preston in 1975 to win us promotion
    Killers golden goal against Hull
    Beating Chelsea 4-0 in late 70's. The game their fans set light to the covered end and smashed up the club building
    Blackburn 1-0 in the cup
    Killer and Flash's punch up against Maidstone
  • Options
    1. 97/8 Play off final the whole experience but especially having all my daughters with me to share the joy.

2. Newton's goal against Ipswich in the play off semi. I was in the Jimmy Seed that night and probably had the best view in the house! The realisation that we were going to Wembley!

3. Charlton 4 Southend 3 1993/4. The opening of The East Stand and the first time I took my older two girls to The Valley.

4. Charlton 4 Ipswich 0 1964/5 or thereabouts. The rare treat of sitting (privilege back then!) in the old gabled West Stand with my Grandmother watching the great Len Glover and Eddie Firmani carve them apart. I think that was the game that cemented Lenny as my favourite player.

5. Charlton 6 Southampton 2 1976 we touched the heights that night and I thought we were bound for division 1. A few months later we sold Killer though and that was that.

6. Charlton 4 Brighton 3 a year or so after the Southampton game. A real end to end thriller of an evening game with the right result!

7. John Hewie's Testimonial 1965, the privilege of seeing the late great Johnny Haynes in a Charlton shirt.

8. Charlton 2 Ipswich 3 FA Cup 1983. See the Simonsen thread. We came so close to winning against the best team in the land at the time and I felt real pride in my team that day.

9. Charlton 5 Preston 2 65'66. Cliff Holton at his best saving us from relegation.

10. Charlton 3 Tranmere 2 1999/2000. We were 2-0 down at half time Steve Brown came on and inspired a great comeback. I thought with that spirit we had a great chance of getting back to the Prem as eventually happened.

There are plenty of others that could probably get in on another day but the top 5 are set in stone I think.
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]10. Charlton 3 Tranmere 2 1999/2000. We were 2-0 down at half time Steve Brown came on and inspired a great comeback. I thought with that spirit we had a great chance of getting back to the Prem as eventually happened.

Thanks for reminding me Len!

Wasn't that the match that, losing at half time, Curbs took of an attacking player ( please remind me who it was!) and put on Steve Brown to the total and utter amazement of (well it felt like all of the fans, but i was!) who promptly scored (a header?) within a few minutes of the restart and inspired the come back!

Happy Days!
  • Options
    Firstly, Addickted, is bang on about the Ronnie Rosenthal hat-trick, that was different gravy and he along with Barnes absolutely took us to the cleaners that night. It was the only time that I ever saw Johnny Humphrey get totally roasted by an opposing winger, Barnes.

Top 10 moments, not neccesarily matches, the best first....

1] Sasa's penalty save from Michael Gray.
    2] Peter Shirtliff's match-winning header against Leeds in the Play Off final replay in 1987.
    3] Clive's hat-trick goal to make it 4-4 when we looked dead and buried.
    4] Danny Mills last-gasp free kick at Villa to keep us up for another week.
    5] The last-minute equaliser from Colin Walsh against Norwich to take our FMC semi-final into extra time in 1987.
    6] Kim Grant's second, and match-winning goal, in the snow against the Spanners.
    7] 3pm, December 5th, 1992.
    8] Paul Mortimer's skating through the table-topping Norwich defence to score a classic in 1988.
    9] Paul Miller's deflected shot looping over Kevin Hitchcock at the Bridge in 1989.
    10] Jimmy Melrose's hat-trick goal, a cracking volley, to beat the reigning champions, Everton, in 1986.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: stanmoreaddick[/cite]

Thanks for reminding me Len!

Wasn't that the match that, losing at half time, Curbs took of an attacking player ( please remind me who it was!) and put on Steve Brown to the total and utter amazement of (well it felt like all of the fans, but i was!) who promptly scored (a header?) within a few minutes of the restart and inspired the come back!

Happy Days!

Yep - that was the game. I remember they got two quick goals not long before half time and that little arsehole they had in goal (Murphy) was timewasting and generally taking the piss. Oh my word did we have some fun with him in the North for the last 15 minutes of the game...
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Ormiston Addick[/cite]Firstly, Addickted, is bang on about the Ronnie Rosenthal hat-trick, that was different gravy and he along with Barnes absolutely took us to the cleaners that night. It was the only time that I ever saw Johnny Humphrey get totally roasted by an opposing winger, Barnes.

The Rosenthal hat-rick was a stunner, I'd forgotten that one, it was live on sky as well wasn't it? I also think people have now forgotten what a great player Barnes was for Liverpool during the late 80's.
  • Options
    Have done this without looking at any posts other than the first to avoid being influenced too much!
    1. Play off final - anything and everything about it.
    2. 5th December 1992.
    3. Having my 40th birthday party in the board room at The Valley on the Saturday - then watching in amazement as we beat Liverpool 3-2 (Lisbie hat-trick) the next day - my actual birthday. All the wishes when I'd blown out the candles came true!
    4. Arsenal away in 89 - 2-2 draw, when VFR was sung for first time. Introduced Dad to my new boyfriend (now husband)- and watched in awe as 70-year-old Dad almost got into a fight with a couple of Gooners who were leaving early (we were in the stand along the side).
    5. Getting the tour of the ground as part of a hospitality event before Newcastle game a couple of seasons ago - awesome.
    6. Winning promotion by beating Preston 3-1 in 1975
    7. Championship winning draw at Blackburn - almost caught Andy Hunt's boot at the end when he threw it into the crowd, but my husband ducked and bloke behind got it!
    8. Mark Stuart scoring the winner away at Old Trafford when we were just back in the First Div.
    9. Rebelling - booking tickets for Oxford away on Boxing Day when parents said I couldn't go - in promotion season from third div under Mike Bailey. We were unbeaten in about 17 games, but lost 1-0 and Oxford were bottom...
    10. Crying when Hales and Flanagan both got sent off v Maidstone.
  • Options
    My favourite moment which has not yet been mentioned: Claus Jensen "lobbing" Nicky Weaver from about 80 yards (well...) at Maine Road to put us 3-0 up on the coldest December day I can remember. How on earth I got home alive that day given the appalling motorway conditions I am really not sure!!
  • Options
    10) 5 V 1 Notts county 93/94 season newton scored a cracker it was my first full season going reg and the first hammering i had seen CAFC hand out.

9) 4 v 2 at Highbury just un expected, jensen class goal

8) Championship year - beating Grismby 4 v 0 - it was just the pure confidence in the team the crowd signing stand up for the champions at the stage of the season

7) 97/98 beating Bradford 4 v 1 morts and brown class goals and the team all sticking up for captain kinsella when it went off esp stevie brown

6) robbo making it 3 v 3 against man u

5) westham 4 v 2 parker just run the show

4) Sending palace down ETCYT

3) Curbs goodbye speach and the whole reception and realastion of what he had done and what we had achived, and feeling that this club is diffent and speacil

2) Going back home

1) playoff final pefect day perfect game Sasa Clive Rufus
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Having my 40th birthday party in the board room at The Valley on the Saturday - then watching in amazement as we beat Liverpool 3-2 (Lisbie hat-trick) the next day - my actual birthday. All the wishes when I'd blown out the candles came true!

Can't get much better than that......as it was an early kick off too, all that drinking time!

I remember the obscure games like Mike Flanagan equalising at Hull the year we went up with Lennie, Steve Gritts 94th minute equaliser at Port Vale and winning at Blackburn 2-0 when Dalglish was incharge and spending all of Uncle Jack's dosh.

Wembley has to be the best as I was *certain* we were gonna lose.
  • Options
    Ha! I was there too for Gritty's equaliser at Vale Park! I remember it was in front of their home end and the keeper flapped at a cross and Gritty drove it through a mass of bodies into the back of the net to send us all delirious in the Potteries.....
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Ormiston Addick[/cite]Ha! I was there too for Gritty's equaliser at Vale Park! I remember it was in front of their home end and the keeper flapped at a cross and Gritty drove it through a mass of bodies into the back of the net to send us all delirious in the Potteries.....[/quote]

That was the biggest loop I have ever seen our away support do.

In fact one member of this board, sprinited 50 yards across the terracing, whilst hurdling about 3 crush barriers, to 'gesture' towards the Vale fans to the left us.....

my lips are sealed....
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: falconwood_1[/cite]Having my 40th birthday party in the board room at The Valley on the Saturday - then watching in amazement as we beat Liverpool 3-2 (Lisbie hat-trick) the next day - my actual birthday. All the wishes when I'd blown out the candles came true!

Can't get much better than that......as it was an early kick off too, all that drinking time!

It was a fantastic weekned, thanks, Falconwood. We had friends at the party from Scotland, Ireland and all over England. Many of us stayed at the Holiday Bin Express at North Greenwich, so Sat night carried on into the early hours of Sun morning. Plenty of Liverpool fans staying there too, winding us up before, very sheepish after!

One of best memories was of Dad sitting in the Board Room in front of the great big print on the wall of the 1947 FA Cup winning celebrations - if you got the angle right, it looked like he was driving the bus...

Would really recommend The Valley for a celebration - much better than any old hotel!
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    And you didn't invite me :(
  • Options
    Sorry - was waiting for that!!! The next one...
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Weegie Addick[/cite]Sorry - was waiting for that!!! The next one...

Are we still on for the West ham match? If so, I'll need to sort out some passes for Crossbars