Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Labradors, German Shepherds & Dogs.....

Comments

• Options
    edited September 2017
    Wish my dog was eager to please, he couldn't give a fuck about anything. Training is a right bugger. He knows the commands, he knows he gets treats if he does what he's told but will he drop a ball if we're playing fetch regardless of what treat I have? Will he fuck.

Friendliest dog in the world mind, wouldn't hurt a fly. Had an off lead jack russell come hurtling towards him looking for a fight the other day. Silly prick was trying to play as this rat was trying to attack him. Any human or dog he sees is just a toy that must be played with!
  • Options
    The simple way to get your dog to retrieve and drop whatever is, to produce a second one of whatever it maybe.
  • Options
    Unhappy penguin, happy Gilbert.

Dogs eh, don't ya just love em?
  • Options
    PeterGage said:

I have owned three Border Collies over the last 30 years, but never more than one at a time. I have never put any of my dogs on a lead and I put this down to extensive training by me as pups. In my local refereeing days I used to take whichever of my dogs with me and they simply stayed off of the pitch for the whole 90 mins. The current fella (Wilson) still entertains supporters at our local senior team by playing "pass ball" with me and his heading ability. Wilson is now 10 years of age and will be my last dog because of my advancing years.

I don't know where you live Peter and this isn't a criticism of you?

And I'm not referring of course if in the park or areas where there isn't any traffic.

I live in a busy part of London and one of the things that really bugs me is people walking their dogs off lead on very busy roads, even worse people cycling on very busy roads with their dogs in tow either off or on a lead.

It's almost become a fashion round my way, " look at how well behaved my dog is!"

It isn't always about how well trained/obedient the dog is, it can simply be about the unexpected happening however unlikely that may be. At least if your dog is on a lead, you do have the chance to pull them out/away of potential danger.

I'd never forgive myself if my dog was killed because I didn't have him on a lead.
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    This fella (JJ) stays out of the limelight, he’s don’t enjoy anyone’s company except his own, mine and the pack.image
  • Options

PeterGage said:

I have owned three Border Collies over the last 30 years, but never more than one at a time. I have never put any of my dogs on a lead and I put this down to extensive training by me as pups. In my local refereeing days I used to take whichever of my dogs with me and they simply stayed off of the pitch for the whole 90 mins. The current fella (Wilson) still entertains supporters at our local senior team by playing "pass ball" with me and his heading ability. Wilson is now 10 years of age and will be my last dog because of my advancing years.

I don't know where you live Peter and this isn't a criticism of you?

And I'm not referring of course if in the park or areas where there isn't any traffic.

I live in a busy part of London and one of the things that really bugs me is people walking their dogs off lead on very busy roads, even worse people cycling on very busy roads with their dogs in tow either off or on a lead.

It's almost become a fashion round my way, " look at how well behaved my dog is!"

It isn't always about how well trained/obedient the dog is, it can simply be about the unexpected happening however unlikely that may be. At least if your dog is on a lead, you do have the chance to pull them out/away of potential danger.

I'd never forgive myself if my dog was killed because I didn't have him on a lead.
    To answer your first question, I live in a small market town with a population of 7.5k but the main road is a very busy A road. I lived in Charlton when I had my first Border Collie.

To me, it is all about knowing your dog and having confidence in him/her. It is certainly not a "fashion thing". My wife, for example, puts Wilson on a lead when in the high street; she has less confidence.

To give you two further examples of my confidence: my wife returns from work at 2030 on work days and I let the dog out on the front lawn (closing the front door) to wait for her.

Example Two: I take my dog with me to my local football team, go into the clubhouse for an hour for a drink and leave him outside, knowing he will still be there.

I may have said before, that in my refereeing days I would take my dogs with me and they would stay off of the pitch for the whole 90 mins.

As I said it is about having confidence and knowledge about the level of obedience your dog and act accordingly.IMO (and I am no expert), not all breed of dogs can attain the levels of obedience that can be achieved with Border Collies.

• Options
    Stumbled across this.

Rip the dog was bombed out during an East End air raid, he wandered the streets until he finally attached himself to a reluctant Mr King (an air raid precaution warden). Between 1940 and 1941 he (without any training at all) located and rescued more than a hundred people from the ruins.

It is largely due to Rip that the authorities decided to formerly train dogs for these situations. Rip won the PDSA Dickin medal for his gallantry, which he wore until his death a year later.

RIP Rip.

• Options
    edited October 2017
    This is one of the hardest posts I've ever had to write. I have to inform you that Arkashan Fanto at Anchaz (aka Jed), has today gone to Rainbow Bridge. Our hearts are heavy and broken, and it was the hardest decision we've ever had to make. His brain was willing and still very sharp (still barking at the postman!!) but the body was giving up....but Jed never complained or moaned once. Some of you know what Jed meant to Mrs RM and I. He was the reason for Anchaz GSD's, he was with us for 12 years 9 months and 10 days. He was my best mate, he taught Mrs RM so much, he taught me that a dog can do so much - given the chance.
    He won at Championship shows, he competed in working trials, and trained in agility as well. He has had progeny in the show ring, working trials and agility all of whom either still compete or have recently retired.
    We were lucky to get such an all-round GSD, he was frightened of nothing or anyone, but he was as loyal as any owner could ask. He was never ill, he was befriended by many, he was just an amazing dog that gave his all every single day. We have so many memories and we are lucky to have his grand-daughter and great grandson with us in our home, and Jed lives on in them. We are both numb and there is a huge hole in our household right now. He passed away just 2 hours ago, in Mrs RM's arms on his favourite part of the sofa. He closed his eyes and went to sleep for the very last time. We will miss him forever, but all I can say is thank you Jed, thank you for trusting us, thank you for being the greatest dog, thank you for teaching us, protecting us and loving us, we have been blessed by having you in our lives. Enjoy being reunited with Kass and Sam, and sometime in the future we will be reunited again. God bless my old mate, god bless you.
    Arkashan Fanto at Anchaz - JED - 26.01.05 to 06.10.17.
  • Options
    I can't begin to tell you how sorry I am to learn of your loss.

When we lose a dog or a cat, it is an unreal level of pain that some people will never understand. They just don't understand the relationship that can be had with an animal. They really can be your best friend.

I have lived with and lost both people and animals in life (as I'm sure we all have at some time in our lives) and I admit I felt their losses equally.

You gave him a fantastic life by the sound of it @Redmidland . You're already correct about him living on in his grandpups and they will love and need you just as much as Jed ever did.

Be prepared for them to be truly out of sorts right now as they definitely feel it as much as we do.

RIP Jed, you've been a good boy.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

I can't begin to tell you how sorry I am to learn of your loss.

When we lose a dog or a cat, it is an unreal level of pain that some people will never understand. They just don't understand the relationship that can be had with an animal. They really can be your best friend.

I have lived with and lost both people and animals in life (as I'm sure we all have at some time in our lives) and I admit I felt their losses equally.

You gave him a fantastic life by the sound of it @Redmidland . You're already correct about him living on in his grandpups and they will love and need you just as much as Jed ever did.

Be prepared for them to be truly out of sorts right now as they definitely feel it as much as we do.

RIP Jed, you've been a good boy.

So very sorry to hear this. RIP Jed. I lost my shepherd (aged 14) 2 months ago so I feel your pain. Best wishes
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    So sorry to learn of your sad news. Dogs are so loyal - they only ask to be fed and taken out for walks and give so much love in return. RIP.
  • Options
    So sorry for your loss, I’ve been through it myself, Red.

Consolation, if there is one, he died in your wife’s arms, with his loving family.

I had to put my last dog to sleep in 2014, his kidneys went, horrible horrible decision to have to make but at least I could put him out of his suffering.

Even though I now have another, dog it’s not the same, not the fault of my present dog, he has his own charms but Georgie, my last, was special and unique, the best.

Dogs are just brilliant in that they give so much for so little and ask not much. Just a place to sleep, food and water, and to be walked, so little, when you consider the needy human world.

RIP Jed, thoughts are with you and Mrs RM.
  • Options
    Very sorry to hear RM. best wishes.
  • Options
    It never gets any easier RM as someone who has had dogs all my life can say.
    Thinking of you mate,RIP Jed
  • Options
    Thanks for all your comments, as you may know we have other GSD's with us, BUT Jed was special and helped us start our foray into breeding and training. He was the epitome of a GSD, he is a great loss, and although we still have his immediate descendants he will never be able to be replaced. Tears have been cried most of the day, he really was my best mate, as @TCE would testify. Once again thanks for your comments, it really does help.
  • Options

Thanks for all your comments, as you may know we have other GSD's with us, BUT Jed was special and helped us start our foray into breeding and training. He was the epitome of a GSD, he is a great loss, and although we still have his immediate descendants he will never be able to be replaced. Tears have been cried most of the day, he really was my best mate, as @TCE would testify. Once again thanks for your comments, it really does help.

Hi@Redmidland. We have never met, but I share your grief and understand the emotions you are going through. I am a Border Collie man and like you, have lost a few " best mates" in the past.
  • Options
    That's SUCH sad news, Red.

Sleep tight, Jed.
  • Options
    Sorry to heard that Red.

It must be heart wrenching but think of all the good times Jed gave you.

• Options
    T.C.E said:

The simple way to get your dog to retrieve and drop whatever is, to produce a second one of whatever it maybe.

Exactly the way I taught my Springer to retrieve. He was a bugger for not dropping after a retrieve when training, but once I'd started producing another dummy out the game bag, wollop!.

Now I just put my hand to my pocket / game bag if I think he's gonna play up (you can see it in his eyes) and he'll drop whatever it is.
  • Options

This is one of the hardest posts I've ever had to write. I have to inform you that Arkashan Fanto at Anchaz (aka Jed), has today gone to Rainbow Bridge. Our hearts are heavy and broken, and it was the hardest decision we've ever had to make. His brain was willing and still very sharp (still barking at the postman!!) but the body was giving up....but Jed never complained or moaned once. Some of you know what Jed meant to Mrs RM and I. He was the reason for Anchaz GSD's, he was with us for 12 years 9 months and 10 days. He was my best mate, he taught Mrs RM so much, he taught me that a dog can do so much - given the chance.
    He won at Championship shows, he competed in working trials, and trained in agility as well. He has had progeny in the show ring, working trials and agility all of whom either still compete or have recently retired.
    We were lucky to get such an all-round GSD, he was frightened of nothing or anyone, but he was as loyal as any owner could ask. He was never ill, he was befriended by many, he was just an amazing dog that gave his all every single day. We have so many memories and we are lucky to have his grand-daughter and great grandson with us in our home, and Jed lives on in them. We are both numb and there is a huge hole in our household right now. He passed away just 2 hours ago, in Mrs RM's arms on his favourite part of the sofa. He closed his eyes and went to sleep for the very last time. We will miss him forever, but all I can say is thank you Jed, thank you for trusting us, thank you for being the greatest dog, thank you for teaching us, protecting us and loving us, we have been blessed by having you in our lives. Enjoy being reunited with Kass and Sam, and sometime in the future we will be reunited again. God bless my old mate, god bless you.
    Arkashan Fanto at Anchaz - JED - 26.01.05 to 06.10.17.

Just seen this post after posting the above.

So sorry to read that mate. Best wishes to you and your family right now.

Gonna give my lot an extra cuddle this evening.

RIP Jed x
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Spent many an hour in the company of Jed and he's was a stunning boy, I remember visiting and staying over at Wally's house in Nottingham and Jed and Bailey doing alternate shifts in the kennels to prevent any squabbles that can happen between mature males, Jed took it like a true gent. I couldn't imagine Bailey doing the same thing on his own manor without whining. I can only imagine what Wally & Angie are going through at the moment not having been in that position. But losing the dog that started your journey can only be described as horrible. My thoughts are with with you both at this time and our love to you both.
    Arkashan Fanto. aka "Jed"
    "Run free to the Bridge" xx
  • Options
    Any suggestions on making a dog less excitable and jumpy when around other dogs? Keeping his attention lasts moments even with his favourite treats.
  • Options
    This big Rottie was introduced of lead socially to new dogs for the first time this morning, ten minutes after seeing this young Lab this was going on. Ive been working with his owners once a week for 5 months and at one stage asked them to attend without bringing him and they walked my dogs, which they did and led them to be more relaxed as they approached other dogs because they weren't expecting a reaction from mine. Without seeing how you are with your dog its difficult to say, but try relaxing as you approach another dog, no dog should meet another dog for the first time head to head and certainly not up two legs. If you are going for a walk with a mate and another dog let them walk ahead, slowly catch them up and let your dog stick its head up the others backside. The excitement would be exaggerated by the eye contact and this should be avoided, likewise if your dog chats a lot when seeing other dogs avoid talking to it while its happening it could encourage it to continue and heighten the excitement. A suitable telling off using a flick of the lead (don't rip its head off, but enough to register) and "Ah" using your deepest voice its not a quick fix but repetition and constistancy even the thickest dog starts to get it in the end. ;)image
  • Options
    Walking my dog in Bostall woods last night about 6. He's walking ahead of me when he stops, turns around and runs back past me, I call him back and he returns to me, stops and runs off back down the path. I call him back again, he approached me and I put him on the lead, had to drag him past a bush, he then wants to go ahead. Not sure what it was, no problems tonight.
  • Options

Walking my dog in Bostall woods last night about 6. He's walking ahead of me when he stops, turns around and runs back past me, I call him back and he returns to me, stops and runs off back down the path. I call him back again, he approached me and I put him on the lead, had to drag him past a bush, he then wants to go ahead. Not sure what it was, no problems tonight.

Did you check behind the bush?
    Bailey did something similar last year along the beach, nose down arse up and off he went. Came back to me twice, the third time stayed put and shouted at me. I walked towards him, he had found a young porpoise stranded on the beach. I'm sure it wouldn't have been a porpoise behind the bush, but something he wanted you to see. ;)
  • Options
    T_C_E said:

Bailey did something similar last year along the beach, nose down arse up and off he went. Came back to me twice, the third time stayed put and shouted at me. I walked towards him, he had found a young porpoise stranded on the beach. I'm sure it wouldn't have been a porpoise behind the bush, but something he wanted you to see. ;)
    No, it was dark.
  • Options
    T_C_E said:

Probably Dave Mehmet with his trousers round his ankles
  • Options
    Could anyone offer some advice on the best way to handle a situation that occurred today?

We live in a small, quiet road with 4 houses and a school on the end. About 10 days ago, our neighbours let their dog out the front off the lead and he attacked our dog as we passed by (our dog was on the lead). I managed to separate them before substantial injury but I could tell by their dogs breathing, low growl and stare that he wanted to cause harm. Their dog (a staff) was completely locked in to our dog. I knocked the next day and we agreed it was in the interest of all our well-being that both dogs were on a lead outside - particularly as we live next to an infant school.

Today, my wife was bitten by my next door neighbours dog whilst she was carrying our dog to the car. The Staff broke free of the lead and lunging with teeth out and growling at our dog, my wife instinctively put her arm out to defend herself and has substantial bruising across her hand and arm.

I like our neighbours and where possible I try to avoid falling out, but that's now twice in ten days that they've demonstrated a lack of control over their dog and I'm not being unreasonable in expecting to be able to walk outside our house without fear that my wife and dog will get attacked. That's not to say I believe for a second that the dog was attacking my wife, but regardless she has been bitten badly and I am absolutely furious.

Any suggestions on appropriate steps to take?
  • Options
    Firstly I really hope your wife is ok and recovers both physically and mentally, it's a horrible thing to witness let along be on the receiving end. Firstly I would be having a "chat" with your neighbour, you say it broke free (equipment failure?) it's his responsibility to be in control of his dog and that includes using suitable equipment to do so. To often people come to me with a powerful dog on the end of a £1.99 lead out of Pets at home. Depending on his response is where you go from there, I wouldn't suggest you mention getting some training. In my experience people don't like to be told they are doing things arse about face, exactly how I felt when Mrs Redmidland told me a few home truths with my first puppy. But any abuse aimed in your direction I would be taking it further, at the very least he should surrender the dog to a rescue any decent owner would want to do the best for the dog.
    Unfortunately carrying your dog will also put yourself in danger, dogs have two instincts "fight or flight" by picking our dogs up we remove both natural instincts and put ourselves at risks from both your own dog and the attacking dog.
    Hopefully this is of some help.
  • Options
    Cheers TCE - I'm at work but the wife has been to hospital because of the swelling and she's fractured her hand.

I'll stick to your advice. I'm going to ask them to tell me how they plan to control their dog in the future and any sign that they're unable to carry out those commitments I'll contact the relevant authorities. I've discovered that there was no issue with the lead, the neighbour let go of the lead when the dog jumped 'so it didn't hurt its neck.'

I actually really like our neighbours and I'm more upset with the re-homing charity that's given first time dog owners an animal that clearly needs substantial behavioural re-training and seemingly without any warning of aggression issues. This is now the fourth altercation the dog has had in the 2 months they've had him.