Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Social class confusion

edited April 2011 in Not Sports Related
I have just leant out of an upstairs window with some shears to prune back the wisteria because it was interfering with my Sky dish and now I don't know if I'm working class or middle class.

Comments

• Options
    Pruning + Sky = Middle class.
  • Options
    We are all working class.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: EastStand[/cite]Pruning + Sky = Middle class.
    Sky = middle class? Really?
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    I only have Virgin :(
    I'm bitter.
  • Options
    It's quite simple - Anyone who says "I'm Middle Class" is actually Working Class, and vice-versa.

Anyone who is genuinely Upper Class wouldn't even know there was a class system.

The one fundemental that has absolutely no bearing on class is money, whether that be the lack of it or the obscene amount of it.

I'm working class btw. No, I am really.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Chirpy Red[/cite]It's quite simple - Anyone who says "I'm Middle Class" is actually Working Class, and vice-versa.

Bloody Hell, if that's true then 99% of Daily Mail readers are in for a hell of a shock.
  • Options
    Are we talking class or social status?

Class is a fact in that if you are working class if you are a factor of production controlled by somebody else. If you do the controlling because you "own" the factors of production then you are not working class.

Social status though is about perception.

A self- employed manual labourer is perceived as working class but actually is not whereas a lawyer who works for a firm of lawyers (as opposed to being a partner) is perceived as middle class but is actually working class.
  • Options
    Posted By: Chirpy Red "It's quite simple - Anyone who says "I'm Middle Class" is actually Working Class, and vice-versa.

Anyone who is genuinely Upper Class wouldn't even know there was a class system.

The one fundemental that has absolutely no bearing on class is money, whether that be the lack of it or the obscene amount of it.

I'm working class btw. No, I am really."

That was utter bollocks and the last line is a complete juxtaposition from the rest of your so called input.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: McCormackforengland[/cite]
    That was utter bollocks and the last line is a complete juxtaposition from the rest of your so called input.

You read a lot of my posts then?
  • Options
    I've got no class
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    And there was me thinking only John Prescott believed in the class system nowadays.

Im standard class although sometimes first class on the last train when I am drunk.
  • Options
    The most basic class distinction is between the powerful and the powerless. Social classes with a great deal of power are usually viewed as "the elites" within their own societies. Various social and political theories propose that social classes with greater power attempt to cement their own ranking above the lower classes in the hierarchy to the detriment of the society overall. By contrast, conservatives and structural functionalists have presented class difference as intrinsic to the structure of any society and to that extent ineradicable.

Source: wikipedia
  • Options
    As EastStand says pruning is middle class

(chopping it down probably working class and paving your whole garden, no class whatsoever).

It amazes me when a once lovely garden is flattened and tarmaced so a Range Rover Sport can be parked on it. You can have money but doesn't guarantee you class.

(sorry, think this should be on things that annoy you thread!)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]Are we talking class or social status?

Class is a fact in that if you are working class if you are a factor of production controlled by somebody else. If you do the controlling because you "own" the factors of production then you are not working class.

Social status though is about perception.

A self- employed manual labourer is perceived as working class but actually is not whereas a lawyer who works for a firm of lawyers (as opposed to being a partner) is perceived as middle class but is actually working class.

#Iblameitontheroyalwedding.
  • Options
    Having a garden = middle class.
    [cite]Posted By: Chirpy Red[/cite]It's quite simple - Anyone who says "I'm Middle Class" is actually Working Class, and vice-versa.
    millwall fans are a good example, middle class people aspiring to be working class.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Friend Or Defoe[/cite]Having a garden = middle class.
    millwall fans are a good example, middle class people aspiring to be working class.

Yeah like that fool Rod Liddle.
  • Options
    What do you do for a living? Or if you still live at home what does the main breadwinner in your house do?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Chirpy Red[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Friend Or Defoe[/cite]Having a garden = middle class.

Yeah like that fool Rod Liddle.

oh yes, what a great example
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: EastTerrace[/cite]As EastStand says pruning is middle class

(chopping it down probably working class and paving your whole garden, no class whatsoever).

Oh, what about if that is your garden but it wasn't you that did it? Does that make you no class?
  • Options
    Tough one.

The fact that you let your wisteria grow wildly out of control and you have Sky suggests you are on benefits and will shortly be appearing on the Jeremy Kyle show. So you can't be working or middle class.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    One things for sure, Hull has no class.
  • Options
    I'm classless. In every sense of the word.
  • Options
    I'm clueless...does that help?
  • Options
    From where did you purchase the pruning shears? For this will lead to the answer you require.
  • Options
    surely to be proper middle class you would have paid a man to do it for you
  • Options
    most of the birds I've been with had no class what so ever, the dirty minx's!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Macronate[/cite]Tough one.

The fact that you let your wisteria grow wildly out of control and you have Sky suggests you are on benefits and will shortly be appearing on the Jeremy Kyle show. So you can't be working or middle class.

That's harsh - those things grow at an incredible rate in the spring.
    [cite]Posted By: DJ Leaburn[/cite]From where did you purchase the pruning shears? For this will lead to the answer you require.

I got them from Robert dyas, which i believe to be class neutral.

Perhaps I should add that the wisteria is horribly covered in some kind of fungal/insect infestation and will probably be dead by the end of the summer. Which is good news in terms of the Sky dish.
  • Options
    I know my place ;0)
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    proper middle class go for freeview at most, not even freeSat - let alone Sky - you might scrape through as lower middle/upper working cusp - I often wind my wife up at some of her family's inability to use a knife and fork properly (including my step daughter)..
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Uboat[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Macronate[/cite]Tough one.

That's harsh - those things grow at an incredible rate in the spring.
    [cite]Posted By: DJ Leaburn[/cite]From where did you purchase the pruning shears? For this will lead to the answer you require.

I got them from Robert dyas, which i believe to be class neutral.

Perhaps I should add that the wisteria is horribly covered in some kind of fungal/insect infestation and will probably be dead by the end of the summer. Which is good news in terms of the Sky dish.

No way is Robert Dyas anything but a middle class shop. If you had said 'the market' or at best B&Q you might have scrapped working class but not Rob D.