Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

John Sullivan (Fools and Horses writer, not...)

John Sullivan, who wrote one of the best-loved British sitcoms, Only Fools and Horses, has died at the age of 64.

The BBC said he had suffered a short illness.

He also wrote Citizen Smith, and his latest work Rock & Chips is due to be shown on BBC One on Thursday.

BBC director general Mark Thompson said: "John had a unique gift for turning everyday life and characters we all know into unforgettable comedy."

BBC News

Comments

• RIP. Only fools .... Is probably the only comedy I can think of that has really stood the test of time.
  • Terrible news. RIP
  • Very sad.
  • edited April 2011
    RIP. Only Fools is the best comedy of all time and Sullivan was a genius of his profession.
  • [cite]Posted By: ISawLeaburnScore[/cite]RIP. Only Fools is the best comedy of all time and Sullivan was a genius of his profession.

Fully agreed, what a sad day, RIP John
  • most briliant comedy writer and a genius, very sad RIP john
  • "Freedom for Tooting" !

RIP JS.
  • RIP, great talent
  • what a loss to british entertainment and comedy

thanks for the laughs

RIP
  • Sponsored links:

• Met him once when collecting his car: really nice bloke. Opened his garage up for us to see the original 'Trotter's Independent Trading' Robin Reliant. Also wrote 'I didn't Know You Cared' : 'I can't stand enthusiasm Carter' : Uncle Mort's catch phrase. Will be much missed. RIP.
  • I 'eard that! Pardon?
  • Really sad, proper Charlton!!

"She was a fan"

RIP
  • Awesome writer, so many fantastic shows, superbly talented man and a very very sad loss.
    RIP John, and thanks for such a fantastic comedy legacy.
  • RIP John, he is what I call a legend
  • Gave us some great comic moments, and a wonderful writer.
    Only fools, is a wonderful legacy to leave, and the 'tricky' prequel Rock and chips was a decent attempt that many would not dare attempt!
    Felt he was one of the few writers who knew about working class people, who wrote about them,in a fond, but amusing way!....
    My ex-editor interviewed him once and said he was a lovely man, who was charming and cared about his craft!

He made me laugh, he made many people laugh!....will be missed!
  • Very, very sad news to go so young. Hugely talented writer and, by all accounts, a very nice man. RIP.
  • Devastated at this news- just watched the only fools... Best moments on G.O.L.D last night and realised, as if I didn't already, what a genius he was: also knowing now that he sung the theme tune, will never listen to it in the same way again. Very poignient !

Rest in peace mate.
  • Without you John Sullivan we would never have had Only Fools ands Horses.. Thank you for bringing that show into our lives amongst others.

That show has brought myself and many others hours of laughter, sadness and joy. Every show is a classic and everyone had their own personal moments of their favourie bits.

You were a genius RIP big man and thanks for legacy you left behind. We will never tire of watching those shows.

Paul
  • edited April 2011
    'Brace yourself Rodney'

Rest in Peace John Boy. Gone but not forgotten
  • Sponsored links:

• RIP

Only Fools and Horses, by far the best sitcom ever.
  • Just been reading about how, to get started, he got a job as a scene shifter at Television Centre. After work he started frequenting the 'Artiste's' bar rather than the manual worker's facilities (Ken from B. will know about this, I'm sure). Veteran comedy producer Denis Main-Wilson was there one day and JS summoned up his courage and said to him 'I thought I'd introduce myself as we'll be working together soon'.
    'Oh, on what exactly' said DMW.

'On an idea I've had. It's about an urban guerilla' JS replied. Thus Wolfie was born and the rest...........
  • Rip absolutely gutted at the news, Fools and horses is the best sitcom ever written and I doubt will ever be beaten. Some of his writing on that show is immense, the way he replaced most peoples favorite character Grandad with the, for me, absolutely fantastic Uncle Albert, is just a measure of his success!

I for one have raised a glass or 2 (Even tho my liver is shot and I am sposed to be on the wagon) for him. Now extra looking forward to the next Rock and Chips which I thought was excellent.

RIP
  • "Charlton Heston?"

Man was a genius, very sad. RIP John.
  • I think this is appropiate, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1FYF9l3A-GI&feature=related

Thank you John and RIP
  • Very sad news. I'm pretty sure he used contribute to Glynnes list a few years ago.

My personal favourite line was when Del and Rodney hit the jackpot with the watch. It went something like"ten million less commission, thats about five million each"

Pause

"Had worse days...."!!

RIP a true genius
  • RIP. It's such a shame that he hasn't been able to see out Rock & Chips. I wonder just how far he would have gone with that.
  • [cite]Posted By: March51[/cite]Met him once when collecting his car: really nice bloke. Opened his garage up for us to see the original 'Trotter's Independent Trading' Robin Reliant. Also wrote 'I didn't Know You Cared' : 'I can't stand enthusiasm Carter' : Uncle Mort's catch phrase. Will be much missed. RIP.
    I Didn't Know You Cared wasn't one of Johns. He did write Dear John and Roger Roger though. Fools and Horses was great in it's prime but went on too long. Green Green Grass was very poor and I felt Rock and Chips was unnecessary.
    JS also wrote the excellent Just Good Friends, this did have a very good prequel made. Obviously John tried to do the same with OFAH.
    Watching OFAH now it looks very dated and doesn't really stand up today but it was, as I said earlier, excellent in it's day.

A prolific writer, I feel John may have suffered from staying too long with the BBC. Along with Roy Clarke and Carla Lane he had a free hand to write what he liked at the Beeb and it was always commissioned, regardless of the quality. However he did come up with some gems.
  • Once again Chirpy, you've shown your worth. OFAH is the greatest comedy ever. Part of the reason I fell in love with South London.

RIP John Sullivan.
  • edited April 2011
    [cite]Posted By: LoOkOuT[/cite]Once again Chirpy, you've shown your worth. OFAH is the greatest comedy ever. Part of the reason I fell in love with South London.

RIP John Sullivan.

That is your opinion, I've stated mine. We can only give our own opinions on anything. We should respect each others and not pull each other up on them.

I really do not see how anyone could put OFAH above Fawlty Towers, Porridge or Dads Army to name but three......

And I'd like you to qualify your dig at me young man.