Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The key factor?

edited March 2011 in General Charlton
I won't go on about this baron spell we find ourselves in, all I will offer is my opinion on what I think is the key factor of why we are going so wrong.

My biggest moan is the appointment of the assistant manager Alex dyer. Experience is what matters its something we all fall back on when we know not enough and with Alex dyer I don't feel he has enough experience at this level to real help Chrissy Powell.

The coaching set up isn't right, maybe it isn't Chris powell that needs to go but maybe it needs a reshuffle in the backroom staff department we need..

Any thoughts lifers?

Discuss...

Comments

• Options
    Might not be relevant, but when you watch the players warming up before a game - Dyer looks like an unprofessional berk. He wades around with his arms crossed, offering nothing.

Our run since he arrived is awful, but West Ham have improved.

Could be a coincidence of course.
  • Options
    Who appointed him in the first place?
  • Options
    I didnt understand bringing in Two youngsters in on loan. When we were on a poor run. Not having a pop at there ability but didnt understand bringing in kids to a team with solly,Jenks,Fry Wagstaff Ecclestone Worner and Reid. With Nouble and Parrett.

I know we wanted Paul Hayes and wasn't allowed was there no second choice players.

Just dont understand bringing more kids in to a team on low morale
  • Options
    Powell wanted him. Buck ends with the gaffer.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]Powell wanted him. Buck ends with the gaffer.

Sounds like another mistake by him then!
  • Options
    Very true about where the buck stops but surely a re-think is needed.

I watch him on the touchline and he doesn't look as if he offers much.

Very true about west hams run and him joining and our run starting..
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: CrayAddick[/cite]Very true about where the buck stops but surely a re-think is needed.

Very true about west hams run and him joining and our run starting..

I just don't see how you can tell what he offers from how he stands on the touchline. How else could he stand to be more effective?

He was reserve coach at West Ham was he not? How have their reserves been doing since he left? How much did he coach the first team at W Ham? Is their mini-revival down to Hitsleburger (sp) being fit or Dyer leaving.

Also he joined for the Col U game so came midway through the good run of four wins. It didn't end when he joined.

Having said all that I still think that we looked better set out under Peacock and Matthew (even the Plymouth team was theirs) because KP and DM knew the players and their limitations. Also they had Big Joe and Jackson so the shape was right.

Powell and Dyer has tried to change it around and played lots of different formations and players. Dyer is Powell's assistant so the buck stops with Chris.

I think the two of them have tried to change things too much and too quickly and that has confused everyone. He got Parrett in as the creative CM we needed but very late and still hasn't brought in what we really needed and needed ie a decent and fast CH.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: CrayAddick[/cite]

That's it then. If for 90 minutes in a week he doesn't look as if he offers much, then you must be right.
  • Options
    A new season comes a fresh new slate..
  • Options
    it's easy to blame dyer but i never thought he should been appointed, Chris is lacking experience when thing's go wrong and he hasn't got a no 2 to turn to, he wasn't helped that we sacked the whole back room staff, and neither knew the players too well, i think with their own squad i think it'll be better.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    There was of course the four game "dead cat bounce" but the key to a successful team is always the manager and without that ingredient being right we can forget any hope of success. That's not saying that CP isn't that special ingredient. Let's hope he is.
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    CP said that when the chance came up to loan Frank Nouble as a physical forward to lead the line Dyer said he wasn't what CP was looking for as he was better on the ground.

So maybe Dyer does know what he's talking about and CP is honest enough to admit he got it wrong.
  • Options
    Said it at the time and say it again now, CP should have appointed an older, wiser head as assistant. Think he has made a mistake in appointing Dyer.
  • Options
    CP said that when the chance came up to loan Frank Nouble as a physical forward to lead the line Dyer said he wasn't what CP was looking for as he was better on the ground.

So maybe Dyer does know what he's talking about and CP is honest enough to admit he got it wrong.
    Dyer should know about west ham reserves....
  • Options
    Not convinced about dyer 1 bit.
    Said it at the time and say it again now, CP should have appointed an older, wiser head as assistant. Think he has made a mistake in appointing Dyer.

Agree
  • Options
    Not convinced about dyer 1 bit.
  • Options
    My view is that the main problem is that we didn't win enough games. It could be any number of factors. To pick on Dyer is just pure speculation and also a soft target because you don't want to single out the manager as he's a legend.

Same thing happened when Curbs was manager - Merv was constantly sniped at by those who couldn't bring themselves to slag off King Curbs.

• Options
    gut feeling is that dyer isn't the answer but very few of us really know - if any. can't help thinking we just need a tried and tested bloody manager - we all wanted powell to do well and obviously the directors do but if i was a betting man, i can see a new man in charge after ten games because i can't see the new owners giving much more slack if the start isn't good - hope i'm wrong and we get off to a fler but reckon CP won't see November.
  • Options
    We don't even know the bloody team yet!
  • Options
    We don't even know the bloody team yet!

Nor does CP !
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

He got a first baller in the second innings at Lords today.

Oh sorry not that Key factor :-)

• Options
    edited June 2011

Think it might be the easy option to pass the buck to Dyer, being appointed as our dreadful run of form started and all that. I do agree however an older head would have been ideal, but as Cray Addick said, new slate let's see what happens<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

• Options

Perhaps the problem was that the new coaching team arrived with an ambition to play good passing football, but started to try immediately to persuade the existing hotch potch of a squad to do this. Now CP has a mission to create his own team who will be chosen partly for their ability to play with style rather than just hope.

We will start to know in August, but it is undoubtedly a fallacy to begin to question the coaches at this stage. Lets get positive please, because when the season does get going the strength and sound of our support will be a big factor.

• Options

There are lots of theories but one put to me recently is that we had too many players who were at the end of their contracts and uncertain of their futures under the new regime. Getting an injury could have cost them dearly in their careers and as a consequence their commitment wasn't at the levels of some of the others. Not sure about this but seems as plausible as some of the others.