Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Bournemouth Beach, a polite request.

I'm sure this won't apply to 99% of posters on here but for the 1% that it might do please can I ask that if you are planning on spending any time on the beach over the weekend can you make sure you use the numerous litter bins that are provided.

Just had my first row of the season with a group of students who think it's clever to spend all afternoon on the beer then get up and walk off the beach leaving their bottles, dog ends and take away remains lying around in the sand for someone else to clean up. Does my effing nut in and going to get me a hiding one day but can't just turn a blind eye. Wouldn't want to fall out with any Lifers who forget to take their cans with 'em would I?

Rant over.

Forecast is pretty good and hope everyone coming down enjoys the game and their stay in town. One final word of advice - the town centre can get a bit naughty on England games and this weekend seems to be the first of the stag season as well but as long as you're sensible you'll have no problems.

Comments

• Options
    Agree with you completely, Live in Cornwall and it really naffs me off that people come to any place that looks stunning, then leave there crap behind.
  • Options
    Listen, we haven't got a beach in the SE. Maybe we'll look after our rubbish, maybe we wont. But either way we'll be smashing the speedos.
  • Options
    What are your thoughts on pissing in the sea? Trunks up or down?
  • Options
    Well said Bournemouth, I hate litterbugs they really are thick as pigshit that's been left out in the sun. Well done on sorting them out.

I tend to do the same sort of thing myself - it really does my swede in watching people go somewhere because it's pleasant and then proceeding to mess the place up for themselves and everyone else. Arsewits.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Clem_Snide[/cite]What are your thoughts on pissing in the sea? Trunks up or down?

Trunks? All in the buff down here Clem.

And please don't pee in my sea ;-)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Bournemouth Addick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Clem_Snide[/cite]What are your thoughts on pissing in the sea? Trunks up or down?

Trunks? All in the buff down here Clem.

And please don't pee in my sea ;-)

especially as there's all them beach huts you can nip behind.
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Very good post Bournemouth, I support you 100%. Here in Southend our beach is not that special, but it looks a complete mess at times as lazy day trippers think its acceptable to to treat the place as their own private dump. As well as being unsightly, sea junk is a major environmental problem. Here are some rather disturbing facts:

- There are an estimated 18,000 pieces of plastic in every km2 of sea.
    - An area of the North Pacific known as the Pacific Garbage Patch contains litter which has accumulated together. It is estimated to be twice the size of France.
    - Garbage patches have been found in many other marine environments.
    - A 2004 study estimated that some 20,000 tonnes of litter was deposited each year into the North Sea—70% of sinks to the bottom, 15% floats on the surface and 15% is washed up on beaches.
    - It is estimated that, “more than one million birds and 100,000 marine mammals and sea turtles die each year throughout the world after either becoming entangled in or eating plastic materials found in the sea”.
    - In 1998, the Royal National Lifeboat Institution (RNLI) attended over 200 incidents to vessels with fouled propellers. This is for one small country; it is not known how many incidents happen on a worldwide basis.
    - A single cigarette butt contains plastic which may take hundreds of years to break down.
    - A plastic bottle may remain intact for up to 450 years.
    - Plastic litter on our beaches has more than doubled since 1994.
    - Plastic doesn't disappear, it just breaks down into smaller fragments. The oceans now contain particles of plastic so small that they get lodged inside the muscle tissues of fishes.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: se9addick[/cite]Listen, we haven't got a beach in the SE. Maybe we'll look after our rubbish, maybe we wont. But either way we'll be smashing the speedos.

What you mean we havent got a beach !
    http://www.portcities.org.uk/london/server/show/conMediaFile.294/Greenwich-Beach.html
  • Options
    Think people are adult enough not to litter on the beach etc strange thread as its not going to change people ways .
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: nolly[/cite]Think people are adult enough not to litter on the beach ....
    Apparently not as there's still litter there.
    [cite]Posted By: nolly[/cite]...strange thread as its not going to change people ways .
    Sadly, you may well be right, but what's the alternative, say nothing?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    im right and this thread is has not bearing on their actions which of course he knew.
  • Options
    Nolly, wind it in mate. Do any of your threads have any bearing on anything? Or mine? Or anyones?
  • Options
    Were all adult enough to make decisions without polite reminders,anyway when you getting that score of reams mate?
  • Options
    Nothing wrong with a polite reminder nolly.

The geezer seems to want to fight me for it. Don't know why he doesn't just pay up. He mouthed off, I called him on it, he lost. Simple really. Sometimes in life you just have to be a man about things, swallow your pride and stop shouting the odds.
  • Options
    i was only joshing mate in a bad mood im sorry if it comes out a tad rude but personally i think its a redundant request dont you think? Regarding the money it has become a parlava has it not...
  • Options
    No need to apologise mate.

We've just scored - be happy!
  • Options
    got 2-2 mate
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: nolly[/cite]i was only joshing mate in a bad mood im sorry if it comes out a tad rude but personally i think its a redundant request dont you think? Regarding the money it has become a parlava has it not...

No it's not a redundant request Nolly. Not sure what your problem is with me/my post but if it makes one person think twice about leaving their crap all over the place then it's achieved something. Maybe it'll lead to someone else fronting a litterer about their behaviour, there are few of us around who care enough about their neighbourhood?
    [cite]Posted By: nolly[/cite]Think people are adult enough not to litter on the beach etc

I'd be a happy man if only that were true.
  • Options
    I was having a beer outside a pub last night (shock) and some fella accidently kicked over a glass on some steps. It didn't break, so what did he do? He walked away and just left it there, so some other poor unsuspecting sod would finish the job.

I called out to him to pick it up but he just blanked it, so I had to go over there and pick it up myself instead.

Why are people such arseholes?
  • Options
    The problem isn't that he kicked it over and left it, had nobody of left it in the first place it wouldn't have been kicked over and thus events wouldn't have panned out as they did.

I won't lie I've been known to drop litter occasionally, usually only on train platforms where there isn't a bin for love nor money, or under my seats after a Charlton game, we're not all perfect. But it's wrong to drop litter, especially in places such as parks & beaches where it can be left there for days spoiling the landscape & urging others to just do the same.

Also Nolly you seem to just be looking for an argument, chillax, what's the problem with a polite request?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Influencing people's behaviour

it's an interesting one

and one I consider frequently here in china... Am often left frustrated by my desire to 'civilise' an entire nation. In this post-modern world of respect for cultural diversity I find myself still taking a stand against queue jumpers, people who try to forcetheir way into the lift before I have got out of it and the masses of males who flood the pavements with their phlegm.

Some days are better than others.

I do think that posting here re: littering beaches may possibly get into the heads of one or two people about not doing so.... So.... It's worth it..
  • Options
    In China a good stare directly into the eyes can work. The gaze of a foreign devil, especially if you have blue eyes, can freak some Chinese out, and they don't queue jump.
  • Options
    fella in his late teens in Eltham today stirred his hot choc from greggs with one of those wooden things then threw it on the floot six foot from a bin , I said to him "there's a bin just there" and he says "sorry bruv" and just walks off . Makes me so bloody angry
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: buckshee[/cite]fella in his late teens in Eltham today stirred his hot choc from greggs with one of those wooden things then threw it on the floot six foot from a bin , I said to him "there's a bin just there" and he says "sorry bruv" and just walks off . Makes me so bloody angry

Makes me wish I was blessed with an inbuilt Tazer
  • Options
    It was only the fact that I was with the mrs and kids that stopped me making him go back and pick it up , I swear these scum are dragged up
  • Options
    Didn't see any litter Sunday morning just lots of blokes walking around trying to clear their hangovers :-)