Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Carling "C2"

Why? What on earth is the point in producing 2% lager?

Would anyone on here drink it?

Comments

• edited February 2007
    IMO to drink any beer less than 5% ABV is a complete and utter waste of time. With the exception of Shepard Neame Master Brew. Only 3.7 %! But very, very tasty. You can do 5 at lunchtime and still put in a normal afternoons work. Unless you're a Bus Driver of course!
  • I wouldn't drink Carling anyway.
  • So people who want to have a couple can still drive after ?
  • i asked the exactly same question yesterday after seeing the big advert on the way home.

seems bizarre to me.
  • tried a pint of it a while ago (beef eater in gravesend trialled it back in 2005) and surprised with how drinkable it was. Defintely a better option than kaliber or any other zero/low alchohol beer.
  • I can't drink half as much as I used to be able to, six pints of Master Brew is enough to give me a bad headache in the morning - if they could make Master Brew at 2% I'd be happy with it!
  • edited February 2007
    I really don't understand it. It takes like piss at the best of times without knocking half the stuffing out of it.

The same goes for them citrus flavoured beers - whoever came up with that should be shot
  • Have you seen the mess some people are in by 11 o'clock - have a look down the Broadway on a Friday (if you dare). I bet a few of them the next day wish they'd been drinking 2% instead of 5% !!
  • Cant see the point myself, would rather have a diet coke if I was driving.

On the subject of beer does that Coors Light stuff they sell in the Oak have a low alcohol content? I contemplated a pint before the last home game cos Im not a fan of Fosters and Stella at 12.00 isnt always a good idea.

Boo the Oak not having Carling or Pay per view football, will have to be doom and gloom for the Mersey Derby
  • yeah, fancy watching the derby too. will watch it at parents and arrive at the ground late i reckon.
  • Sponsored links:

• no its about 5% i think. its quite strong... well it must be as i've seen a few people fall out the door on it.
  • ever fancied a nice couple of cold beers but dont want to risk losing your licence?
    i have. think its a good idea. there not saying you should replace your full strength lagers for it all the time. better than drinking shandy.
  • what is the point.

IF U R DRIVING don't drink at all.
  • Agree!stick with diet coke!good for your figure after all
  • i would never exceed the limit i will have 1 pint or 2 shandy's.
    i dont drink to get drunk all the time. beer is actually my favoroute drink.
  • [cite]Posted By: Southendaddick[/cite]Cant see the point myself, would rather have a diet coke if I was driving.

On the subject of beer does that Coors Light stuff they sell in the Oak have a low alcohol content? I contemplated a pint before the last home game cos Im not a fan of Fosters and Stella at 12.00 isnt always a good idea.

nah its 5%, my housem8 done loadsa promo for them while back, 2 months of free beer, bloody marvelous, even thou does taste of water, still betta than carling/fosters
  • edited February 2007
    what's wrong with a "real" beer you lot - a nice drop of Tangle Foot, Harveys, London Pride, Spitfire, Adnams, ...... Youngs Special!

I can see what they're trying to do with this C2 stuff, but just wouldn't have thought there was that much of a market for it, I mean you're only ever gonna drink two or three in one go at the max - so obviously less units sold. Still, I spose they've done their research. Reckon it would taste like cold fizzy piss myself.
  • [cite]Posted By: Off_it[/cite]what's wrong with a "real" beer you lot - a nice drop of Tangle Foot, Harveys, London Pride, Spitfire, Adnams, ...... Youngs Special!

I can see what they're trying to do with this C2 stuff, but just wouldn't have thought there was that much of a market for it, I mean you're only ever gonna drink two or three in one go at the max - so obviously less units sold. Still, I spose they've done their research. Reckon it would taste like cold fizzy piss myself.

Fullers ESB!!
    We used to have a challenge at my old firm where you had to drink 5 pints of it in half an hour.
    Only ever managed 4 1/2 in the alloted time.
  • Jeez, five in half an hour would be some going - it's strong stuff is that!

"Tribute" from the St Austell Brewery is a nice drop too. Had plenty on holiday in Cornwall once!
  • Ushers are/were a West Country brewery, that was nice. So was Founders Ale.

We Only did that challenge once or twice a year.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited February 2007
    [cite]Posted By: Off_it[/cite]

"Tribute" from the St Austell Brewery is a nice drop too. Had plenty on holiday in Cornwall once!

A pint of 'Trib' is quite acceptable, if you're talking Cornish beers.
    Small, maybe Truro brewery, called Skinners knocks out various slightly sweet real ales like 'Betty Stoggs' and 'Heligan Honey'.

But Sharp's 'Doombar' for me is the best of the Cornish cooking bitters, about 4.2%.
    Won a national award recently, too.

Something with a bit of a wallop, is 'HSD' from St Austell's, I think - more than 5%.

And in Plymouth, there's a pub called The Thistle that brews it's own beers.
    Definitely recommended if you're there.
    You just have to try them all........
  • I've had "Doom Bar" too - very nice. I even went to the trouble of seeking it out at the Earls Court beer fest this year.

Hang on a minute, am starting to sound like one of those bearded geezers dressed in brown cords and an ill fitting t-shirt with a taste for crap jazz and morris dancing!
  • carling extra all day long...
    C2.. not ta!!!

live the dream, keep it real!
  • Wouldn't touch Carling anyway, but I suppose it's for people who are fond of a long liquid lunch, but don't want to roll back pissed.

Except that's the point of a long liquid lunch, isn't it? All seems a bit odd, especially as really weak lagers went out of fashion a good few years back.

There's meant to be a low-alcohol Guinness on trial somewhere too.
  • edited February 2007
  • edited February 2007
    [cite]Posted By: DJ Davey Dave[/cite]IMO to drink any beer less than 5% ABV is a complete and utter waste of time. With the exception of Shepard Neame Master Brew. Only 3.7 %! But very, very tasty. You can do 5 at lunchtime and still put in a normal afternoons work. Unless you're a Bus Driver of course!

Go to Cambridge fairly often and there it tends to be Abbot Ale. Anywhere else I generally ask a bearded biogerontologist (yes, that one !!!!!) to recommend a good pint.
  • [cite]Posted By: DJ Davey Dave[/cite]IMO to drink any beer less than 5% ABV is a complete and utter waste of time. With the exception of Shepard Neame Master Brew. Only 3.7 %! But very, very tasty. You can do 5 at lunchtime and still put in a normal afternoons work.
    Well I bloody well couldn't!!
  • [cite]Posted By: Salad Spinner[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: DJ Davey Dave[/cite]IMO to drink any beer less than 5% ABV is a complete and utter waste of time. With the exception of Shepard Neame Master Brew. Only 3.7 %! But very, very tasty. You can do 5 at lunchtime and still put in a normal afternoons work.
    Well I bloody well couldn't!!

What number do you drive? 161? 286? 75?
  • [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Off_it[/cite]

A pint of 'Trib' is quite acceptable, if you're talking Cornish beers.
    Small, maybe Truro brewery, called Skinners knocks out various slightly sweet real ales like 'Betty Stoggs' and 'Heligan Honey'.

But Sharp's 'Doombar' for me is the best of the Cornish cooking bitters, about 4.2%.
    Won a national award recently, too.

Something with a bit of a wallop, is 'HSD' from St Austell's, I think - more than 5%.

And in Plymouth, there's a pub called The Thistle that brews it's own beers.
    Definitely recommended if you're there.
    You just have to try them all........

There used (may still) to be a pub called The Blue Anchor at Helston where they brewed their own called "Stingo" which was quite palatable as I remember.
  • [cite]Posted By: InspectorSands[/cite]Wouldn't touch Carling anyway, but I suppose it's for people who are fond of a long liquid lunch, but don't want to roll back pissed.

Except that's the point of a long liquid lunch, isn't it? All seems a bit odd, especially as really weak lagers went out of fashion a good few years back.

There's meant to be a low-alcohol Guinness on trial somewhere too.

Beejesus! My ancestors would be getting the rosery beads out at that threat!!!!!

Speaking of which, they are a fashion accessory for men these days I've been reliable inform!!!!!! Baby Jesus & all the Saints preserve us!!!!!!