Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Simon Francis - Centre Half ?

edited February 2011 in General Charlton
I mentioned this on a different thread but didn't get too much response . Maybe because it's a poor idea? Just felt it's something that has never really been raised before. We all seem to agree that we could do with some pace/legs at centre half and it seems to me that Francis has that in abundance and also is tall, good in the air and aggressive. The one side of his game that lets him down is his touch and distribution. Now arguably, these are least needed at centre half, particularly if your playing alongside a fairly cultured player in Dailly. Jenkinson looks a more than capable right back so could Francis be better utilised at centr half?

Comments

• edited February 2011
    But he's the best crosser of the ball we have. Needs to play out wide.
  • With his height, I think he's probably been tried at centre half earlier in his career and it probably didn't work hence the switch to right back.
  • needs to be in the jokes category I think

:D
  • edited February 2011
    Wouldn't feel comfortable with him there, as often said he's better going forward than he is defensively. Clearly our best crosser as well.
  • I would sooner see him playing right wing to be honest.
    He is a liability when it comes to defending, makes far too many mistakes.

But going forward - DAVID BECKHAM EAT YOUR HEART OUT!!!
  • but at centre half you don't get the time on the ball that you do at full back - just challenge and lay it off - its when he has time to possibly start an attack is when he is prone to making the mistakes - thats an important part of a full back's job - distribution - if they keep panicking and just hoofing it due to a lack of ability, that can be as bad as having two non footballing midfielders. i agree that it would be surprising if he hasn't played there before with his height but he looks like a more natural centre half than full back to me. i must have missed all his brilliant crosses although i accept he played well against Peterborough.
  • edited February 2011
    [cite]Posted By: razil[/cite]needs to be in the jokes category I think

care to elaborate razil? and i'm not really up to speed on things like :D[/quote] . What does it mean?
  • Poor going forward
    Poorer at defending

Can see him getting mugged off in the middle time and time again on the floor.
  • [cite]Posted By: Bexley Dan[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: razil[/cite]needs to be in the jokes category I think

care to elaborate razil? and i'm not really up to speed on things like :D . What does it mean?

I was joking that the post was a joke so the thread should be recategorised

he's too poor a defender in my opinion, and too good going forward/crossing when he bothers to waste back there..
  • [cite]Posted By: Bexley Dan[/cite]i must have missed all his brilliant crosses although i accept he played well against Peterborough.
    Crossed for Wagstaff's goal away to Luton, McCormack away to Orient. FL site says he's on 4 assists so there's probably a couple more that we've scored from.

Can't remember which game it was, but a few home games ago he got several good crosses in but we didn't score from them. Was our best player going forward that game.

Not loads of examples but when he plays with confidence (which hasn't been too often) he gets some very good crosses in.
  • Sponsored links:

• i'm no defensive expert but what is so poor about his defending? Is it positional sense? getting caught up field? diving in? - the bits that stick out to me is his usage of / getting caught on the ball but maybe i'm wrong.
  • [cite]Posted By: Scoham[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Bexley Dan[/cite]i must have missed all his brilliant crosses although i accept he played well against Peterborough.
    Crossed for Wagstaff's goal away to Luton, McCormack away to Orient. FL site says he's on 4 assists so there's probably a couple more that we've scored from.

Can't remember which game it was, but a few home games ago he got several good crosses in but we didn't score from them. Was our best player going forward that game.

Not loads of examples but when he plays with confidence (which hasn't been too often) he gets some very good crosses in.

agreed that when he gets it right he gets it really right but i'd say its very hit and miss.
  • [cite]Posted By: Bexley Dan[/cite]i'm no defensive expert but what is so poor about his defending? Is it positional sense? getting caught up field? diving in? - the bits that stick out to me is his usage of / getting caught on the ball but maybe i'm wrong.

getting done for pace, rarely intercepting or cutting out crosses, caught out of position regulary, giving the ball away, it's all about opinions tho
  • To be fair his movement going forward and crossing has greatly improved over the last couple of games he has played (and i have been a big criticiser of his), but as a CB i would be very nervous. His defensive play is very poor so putting him in a more defensive role is potentially catastrophic.

We desperately need decent CB's. Jenkinson has played CB for the reserves, but i wouldn't dump him straight into that role either. Mambo is a CB but not tested at this level. Llera to be fair no worse than how Doherty and Fortune have been playing. Dailly is gradually going from our main rock to a bit prone himself of late. And Fry hasn't be good lately either. I really dont' know what the answer is with the defenders we currently have.
  • I can see why Dan has suggested this, but I think I'm with the majority it's a no from me. I just don't think his positional sense is good enough. Might be OK as an emergency though.
  • I think that by his age a player has already been tried at a number of positions and has settled on the best (or least worst for those that don't rate him) or his managers have.

He does have height and heading ability and can be aggressive in the tackle but he also gets caught wrong side of his man too often for my liking.

I'd still rather play Solly at RB
  • To be honest, I think he is better suited to right back (or even right wing) than centre back. His posistional play inst that great and he often gets turned quite easily and he is not as good in the air as daily or doc. He makes some excellent overlapping runs that create space for the man on the ball (even if he dosnt pass to francis) which can go unoticed. He is probably our most improved player over the last month or so and I really think we missed him against exeter. (he often covers in behind the centre backs which jenkinson didnt do)
  • As long as his arse points downwards he is not a winger or a centre half. Solly is my pick at right back and a couple of Southend fans I know really rate Francis as a full back for his delivery.

Solly is still better though
  • Not in a million years...
  • i was looking out for them deliveries tonight. anyway its all irrelevant really and i can hold back no longer - the main problem is where it has been for the last 4 years - centre midfield. Old donkeys at the back, a rag tag bunch up front and a couple of non football playing midfielders - third rate, thats what we are. lets hope Chris sorts this in the loan market, otherwise i'll put him in the third rate basket as well.
  • Sponsored links:

• Good job your loyal Dan
  • 27 years unbroken service as a season ticket holder says i'm loyal - doesn't stop me having an opinion.
  • I suggested this earlier this week. Either we find a pacey centre half on loan, or we have to look within the squad.
    Within the squad, the options are Llera, too inconsistant IMO, Fry, Francis or Semedo. Francis can play there according to his Wiki page. I wouldn't mind putting Semedo back there because, to me, our midfield is simply not good enough and needs major changes. Semedo doesn't offer enough offensively and Racon just doesn't offer enough.
  • [cite]Posted By: queensland_addick[/cite]I suggested this earlier this week. Either we find a pacey centre half on loan, or we have to look within the squad.
    Within the squad, the options are Llera, too inconsistant IMO, Fry, Francis or Semedo. Francis can play there according to his Wiki page. I wouldn't mind putting Semedo back there because, to me, our midfield is simply not good enough and needs major changes. Semedo doesn't offer enough offensively and Racon just doesn't offer enough.

thankyou
  • Francis is crap at RB. Gawd knows what he'd be like at CH. No way Jose.
  • you are probably right but i'm just trying to think of ways we can concentrate the 2 loans we can bring in on the midfield area of the team rather than the defence - i'm not sure 1 midfielder is going to solve it and i see it as a far bigger problem than our defence - not all agree, i accept that.
  • edited February 2011
    I wouldn't mind seeing him at Right Midfield, simple 4-4-2. I can imagine it would take time, but as most have already said - he can put some great crosses in (he can also lose his man).

Elliot

Solly Dailly Fry Jenkinson

Semedo

Francis Racon Jackson

Eccleston BWP
  • Francis can battle Jenkinson and, maybe, Solly for the RB slot.

Nowhere else please.