Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Temporary Hatred For Football

Today is one of those days when I wish I had no affinity with football. Got home from work at 5pm to discover that Charlton have lost 3-1 in a game that I was eagerly anticipating, and was optimistic that we'd win. So that left me pretty annoyed, but unfortunately that is only half of the problem. I then checked the accumulators I had on (three of them); one of them was utter rubbish so we'll ignore that one, and to be honest I'd have preferred the other two to go that way. Instead, on the first I had 10 home wins with a £2 stake at 45-1, and nine of them were correct, so one match let me down - that match couldn't have just been Portsmouth v Barnsley (or another relatively dodgy one), no, it was Chelsea, the one team in the accumulator most likely to win. So, a bit of a kick in the teeth there, and obviously gutted that I've missed out on £90 by one result out of nine. Then, to make matters worse, I check the other one: 4 draws with £1 stake at 100-1. 3 of them come in, and then the one team to snatch a win (a very tight win at that) is Crystal Palace, meaning I lost out on another potential £100. As if I didn't already have enough reason to dislike them. That added a kick to the balls to accompany the teeth.

To sum it up, I am not feeling a lot of love for football at this moment in time. The only bonus is that I didn't have to sit through the defeat today - I'd probably prefer to be in my position than the 20k+ of you that did that.

Who else feels like this right now? (for reasons other than our loss, as I'd imagine that's everyone on this board - excluding the rival fans obviously)

Comments

• Options
    So what's your excuse for not going to the game then?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Off_it[/cite]So what's your excuse for not going to the game then?

Skint. By the sound of things.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: carly burn[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Off_it[/cite]So what's your excuse for not going to the game then?

Skint. By the sound of things.

Gave all his dough to the bookies.
  • Options
    If you gamble and support Charlton there will be plenty of bad days. Give up gambling and start supporting Man Utd and you should see an almost overnight improvement.
  • Options
    Charlton let me down for £217 today. Missed some of Soccer Saturday cos of sons birthday,turned back on and they all dropped in apart from our heroes.Im gutted.
  • Options

Read the second sentence.
  • Options
    I don't bet on Charlton, Richie. Simply because if they lose I'll be doubly annoyed!
  • Options
    Two five folds today. Both done by one result. First one Wrexham lost 7-2 at home to Gateshead!

Second Wycombe lost at home to Accrington.

Both worth £70+
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AidenTheAddick[/cite]

He's done you there.......
  • Options
    That's frustrating, Clem! Wycombe was one of a few results that ruined the other accumulator that I did, but there a few that ruined that one, so it wasn't so annoying.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Aiden I suggest you should have a temporary hatred of gambling not football
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    I got carried away by SCP and 20k+.Bet with head not heart.I did see that at Hills I did my coupon on Thursday and I noticed when I checked today Charltons odds had lengthened,what did the bookies know?
  • Options
    Probably McOxo was playing!
  • Options
    Oh, I do partly, Latimer. But as football is related to all the things (including Charlton, not just the gambling) causing my current bad mood, football's the overriding factor.

Yeah, I got a bit over-optimistic due those two factors too, richie. Should have just woke up this morning expecting us to lose, at least it would have softened the blow a tad.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Clem_Snide[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: AidenTheAddick[/cite]

He's done you there.......

Yep, to be fair - hands up.

But to be honest, there was so much whining going on all in one whole solid block of text that I clearly just skipped over that bit. as reading it was hurting my eyes!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Off_it[/cite]But to be honest, there was so much whining going on all in one whole solid block of text that I clearly just skipped over that bit. as reading it was hurting my eyes!

Haha, I'm sorry. I'm not always like this, honest! Just a bit peeved that nothing went my way; and to top it off, my Bournemouth-supporting mate text me gloating, despite them only getting a draw. Needed to vent my frustration.
  • Options
    No worries fella, we all know how you feel.

Do what I do, every time I get the ump I beat the missus. I'll lend her to you if you like.
    ;o)
  • Options
    Haha! It's okay, I'm calm now. I'll bear it in mind for next time, though!
  • Options
    Aiden, do what I do on my once-a-decade bet. Assume you are going to lose, everything else is then a bonus...

"It matters more when there is money on it..."

Only when you don't actually support a team, muppet!

(Not referring to you Aiden, I hasten to add)
  • Options
    Also one team out on two accumulators today... Valencia who drew 0-0 with 71% possession against a team who didn't just park the bus but anchored it and Hartlepool not scoring at home (just seen on FLS they smacked the bar and missed an open goal which has massively improved my mood!)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    That's the problem with betting it's a mugs game, where you are virtually certain to lose.

Accumulators, where you have to predict 10 correct results are almost certainly a loser, as there will nearly always be a guaranteed game that doesn't come off like Chelsea V Everton.

Bet occasionally for a bit of fun, but not regularily, if you do not want to be skint for life.
  • Options
    I think I loathed football the most after England limped out of the world cup last summer. I was already hurting badly due to our capitulation against Swindon in the play offs which urinated over our dreams of success for another year, but that really put the tin hat on it. Thank god for cricket in times like these!

If it's any consolation, I put a number of small bets on at the beginning of each season and it already looks like the worst set of bets that I have ever placed, so I haven't placed a bet since last summer, thankfully, and I don't intend to start again!
  • Options
    Don't worry guys, I don't have gambling issues! I literally put £2/£3 maximum each week. I do just do it for fun, but it's frustrating when you come so close, as is the case with any game. I don't plan on letting gambling putting me into bankruptcy though, so it's okay.

I know the feeling bigstemarra, as I'm sure everyone that's ever had any proper association with football does. It's the times where you hate it, that make the good times worth having! As for cricket, no thank you! Haha.