Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Champions League - cash cow

I have regular arguments with my mates about the adverse effects of sky/premier league/champs league - the whole football gravy train - just wondering what other people's thoughts are on the latest topic of discussion - the spreading out of the champs league knock-out phase over 4 weeks rather than 2 (I think it was like this last year too)...I mean, could they milk this anymore?!

It's not surprising as obviously the tournament was designed for tv, & pretty embarrassing for UEFA in my opinion as much of the integrity of the competition is somewhat undermined by the spreading of "a round" over such a long period of time. But more importantly this can't be good for pretty much all other football.
e.g. no doubt the prospect of Arsenal - Barca helped Wigan to achieve an even less healthy than usual attendance with Bolton tonight (7,515), and I'm sure the effects trickle all the way down the leagues.

There's no doubt that the entertainment at the Emirates was top drawer...but surely this is just another contributory factor to the spiraling difference in resources of top teams (more tv revenue for Champs league teams no doubt) vs everyone else (lower ticket revenues etc).

So do you agree/disagree, & does this bother you as well? or is it just me being bitter about our relatively recent descent from the heady heights of the Prem...

Comments

• Options
    I read an economics paper a while back into this subject. The data (and the paper) were about five years old, but showed that there was no discernable impact of the Champions' League on attendance in the Championship compared to normal midweek games, but there was an impact on Leagues 1 and 2 (even taking into account weather, recent form, rivalry, distance etc). The difference between the Championship and the lower tiers (so the article said) was that the Championship is full of 'big city teams' (take 7th place Leicester for example), whereas the lower tiers are smaller towns, on the outskirts of cities or '2nd teams' (7th in L1 are Oldham, 7th in L2 are Port Vale), so their support is "more elastic" (more day-trippers in percentage terms, subject to big fluctuations).

The paper then argued that the Champions' League should subsidise the lower divisions for the 'lost revenue' based on a complicated calculation. The numbers weren't huge, but said that was never going to happen.

I think the impact was less than the impact of having two or more home matches in the same week. To give an example, the paper says that, all other things being equal, we should expect attendance lower than normal when we host Tranmere and Brentford, because a lot of non-season-ticket-holders will only be able to afford one or two of Carlisle/Tranmere/Brentford in that two week period

If I remember correctly, the paper was written by Forrest and Simmons. There may be a more recent version.

As for Wigan's attendance, you could argue the town has more in common with Peterborough, Hartlepool, Colchester and Stevenage (all of which are at least as big as Wigan, according to Wiki) than it does with their Premier League rivals, or you could just accept that their attendances are always going to be relatively poor.
  • Options
    It's a tricky one. Being scots and detesting both of the old firm, there's a tendency to think that they've ruined the league by splashing the cash since the mid 80s. But, the vast majority of people are only interested in watching them. The same goes for England, or pretty much any other league. Sadly, idiots only want to support "top" teams rather than teams that are in their hearts or doorsteps. I believe this was always the case but the proportion has crept up in recent years because TV has made it easier for dunces to believe that they have a connection to a club that they actually have no connection to. Anyway, in summary: don't let it bother you, it's progress. People are getting thicker and it's natural that more superficial, weaker-willed characters would need to associate themselves with clubs that "guarantee" success, due to them being cnts.
  • Options
    Interesting that teams like Hull, Burnley and Blackpool have managed to get to the premiership when we live in this age where apparently everything is all about the bigger. monied teams prospering. Small clubs like Stoke, Fulham and Wigan have been in the Prem for a few a years and show no sign of leaving any time soon. Other Premiership sides like WBA, Wolves, Bolton and Blackburn aren't exactly traditional top league outfits. There's an argument here that clubs with good organisation and governance have prospered beyond what they might have done in the good old days. I think the problem is at the top of the league where you just can't compete with the big boys.
  • Options
    Hmmm, I'd leave Hull, Bolton (both amassed huge debts getting where they are), Blackburn, Fulham and Wigan (sugar daddies) out of your lists, Mortimerician

Which leaves Blackpool, Burnley, Stoke, WBA and Wolves. Between them, in total, they have about 10 years in the Premier League. Of course you could add Barnsley and Palace, but you'd be chipping at the edges. I don't think you could go further back to Oldham and Swindon and in all honesty claim that era was the same as now
  • Options
    Stunning football match tonight. The quality and pace of the football we see played today by the top teams in the premiership and the top teams in the Champions League is vastly superior to what we use to see 20 or 30 years ago. Without doubt the evolving formats of the premiership and the Champions League is the reason for this quantum leap in quality. What is there not to like?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Mortimerician[/cite]Interesting that teams like Hull, Burnley and Blackpool have managed to get to the premiership when we live in this age where apparently everything is all about the bigger. monied teams prospering. Small clubs like Stoke, Fulham and Wigan have been in the Prem for a few a years and show no sign of leaving any time soon. Other Premiership sides like WBA, Wolves, Bolton and Blackburn aren't exactly traditional top league outfits. There's an argument here that clubs with good organisation and governance have prospered beyond what they might have done in the good old days. I think the problem is at the top of the league where you just can't compete with the big boys.

I also think you'll find that the huge levels of debt that teams take on make it likely that relegation from the Premier League will result in a prolonged period of rebuilding (Sheff Wed, Leeds, Man City - dare I include us?). This leads to short term openings in the Premier League for teams that are not traditionally big clubs.

Interestingly I suspect that most of those 'small' teams have been promoted via the playoffs. Blackpool, for example, only finished 6th in the Championship, and I doubt (with no real evidence, clearly) that they would have finished 6th or higher the following season.

What keeps teams like Wigan in the Premier League is that there are at least three that finish below them (obvious I know) but of those three, one or two will be clubs hat have just spent too much and can no longer afford to service their debts, like Hull and Portsmouth last season.

As for the Champions League restricting match day attendances. I can only assume that the report that suggested it doesn’t was ordered by the Champions League clubs or organisers.

Anyone that really believes that Arsenal v Barcelona on ITV won’t reduce attendances at Wigan v Bolton needs their head examining. Even if Wigan gave their tickets away for free there would be those that would prefer to avoid the cost and time of travelling and the weather conditions if Arsenal v Barcelona is on TV.

Sadly those ‘Big’ clubs don’t care about the rest of the Football League, and in all honestly they no longer need them. If the Premier League were to split off from the Football League and promotion and relegation was stopped I don’t think the top six/seven/eight (which make up the top four) would notice it at all.

Frankly I’m surprised that we still have two Champions League games on at the same time. Surely it can only be a matter if time before all eight of the first knock-out rounds are played in a unique time slot. I read that the FA are considering moving the FA Cup fixtures to increase the TV exposure. In the end you will be able to watch just about all of the Man Utd (et.al.) games on TV live.

The clubs in the lower divisions will just become poorer and poorer – a trend that has been here, and unavoidable, for well over ten years.
  • Options
    The paper said it had an impact on Leagues 1 and 2, but not the Championship or the Premier League. The authors seemed relatively hostile to the Champions' League, so I doubt they were paid to say nice things about it. They based their findings on the evidence, not opinions.

I don't need my head examining, thanks. If the 'local rivals' match was Newcastle-Sunderland or Forest-Derby, I doubt Arsenal would be all that appealing for fans of the clubs involved. The fact is that Wigan would not look out of place in League 1, and probably wouldn't even be one of the bigger clubs in this division. Their attendance will always be poor relative to other Premier League clubs, no matter when they play their matches and who they play against. To be honest, I'm surprised there were even 7,000 people at it - they had around 5,000 at their Cup matches last season.

For what it's worth, the attendance at Scunthorpe's match against Forest last night was higher than the last time they played at home midweek (against Middlesbrough on 9th November) and over 1000 higher than their home match against Burnley on Saturday 22nd January.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Mortimerician[/cite]It's a tricky one. Being scots and detesting both of the old firm, there's a tendency to think that they've ruined the league by splashing the cash since the mid 80s. But, the vast majority of people are only interested in watching them. The same goes for England, or pretty much any other league. Sadly, idiots only want to support "top" teams rather than teams that are in their hearts or doorsteps. I believe this was always the case but the proportion has crept up in recent years because TV has made it easier for dunces to believe that they have a connection to a club that they actually have no connection to. Anyway, in summary: don't let it bother you, it's progress. People are getting thicker and it's natural that more superficial, weaker-willed characters would need to associate themselves with clubs that "guarantee" success, due to them being cnts.

This... except for the bit about it not bothering me.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: IA[/cite]The paper said it had an impact on Leagues 1 and 2, but not the Championship or the Premier League. The authors seemed relatively hostile to the Champions' League, so I doubt they were paid to say nice things about it. They based their findings on the evidence, not opinions.

Accept the 'cities' argument, but i also feel its probably down to prem / championship clubs having a higher proportion of ST holders who will either be counted in the attendance numbers whether they go or not, or more inclined to go because they have already paid for their ticket.

I'd be interested in a comparison on match ticket sales rather than attendences.
  • Options
    Wigan! Strange, strange club - about the same standing in the game in terms of support & history as Macclesfield. Yet punching so far above their weight it's incredible. Good luck to them - we have only ever played them 4 times!!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    AFKA

I'm not sure the percentage of season ticket holders is higher in the Championship. In the PL, yes, but the Championhip rarely sells out, so the reasons for buying season tickets are the same for Coventry as they are for Hartlepool or Macclesfield - if you have the money, want to guarantee the seat and want to make a saving over the season.

I've gone extremely rusty on this, but my gut reaction is that it wouldn't make a big difference to the findings to rule out season ticket holders. It would make a difference would be if you also excluded away attendance, but then you would be skewing the data to 'prove a point'.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: IA[/cite]The paper said it had an impact on Leagues 1 and 2, but not the Championship or the Premier League. The authors seemed relatively hostile to the Champions' League, so I doubt they were paid to say nice things about it. They based their findings on the evidence, not opinions.

I don't need my head examining, thanks. If the 'local rivals' match was Newcastle-Sunderland or Forest-Derby, I doubt Arsenal would be all that appealing for fans of the clubs involved. The fact is that Wigan would not look out of place in League 1, and probably wouldn't even be one of the bigger clubs in this division. Their attendance will always be poor relative to other Premier League clubs, no matter when they play their matches and who they play against. To be honest, I'm surprised there were even 7,000 people at it - they had around 5,000 at their Cup matches last season.

For what it's worth, the attendance at Scunthorpe's match against Forest last night was higher than the last time they played at home midweek (against Middlesbrough on 9th November) and over 1000 higher than their home match against Burnley on Saturday 22nd January.

Those two derbies are big games. I wouldn't expect a Charlton v Palace or Millwall game to be affected by Arsenal v Barcelona, but if we were playing three quarters of the Championship I would expect there to be a reduction in numbers.

I accept that the Premier League are, in most cases, immune from this as they play Arsenal every season, and play big clubs on a regular basis. I suspect that the percentage of attendance is what determines the impact of European games. In the Premier League most clubs sell out 90% plus of their ground so, as AFKA says they have many season ticket holders who are counted if they are at home in front of the tele.

I suspect that the impact is greater in the Championship, but not as significant as the lower leagues.

My deduction that the report was put together by the CL sides was merely a guess. I cannot see why an organisation that is against the CL would bother to produce it. The findings will always be ignored and no 'compensation' paid from the arrogant big clubs.
  • Options
    How far is Wigan from Bolton? They were the two clubs in your supposedly affected match.

I'm very confident that the real reason behind Wigan's attendance is the same as the reason why their attendances are always poor, added to the fact that it as a cup replay.

As said, Scunthorpe v Nottingham Forest (a right old trip) last night had a higher attendance than comparable games against Middlesbrough (on a Tuesday) or Burnley (Saturday).

It was an academic paper, written to investigate a phenomenon, and they would've written it regardless of findings once they'd collected the data. It's a waste of time if you only publish findings or tweak the data to verify whatever existing opinions you might have, regardless of how far from the truth they are. Didn't say they were against the Champions' League, just that the authors seemed relatively hostile and surprised that the Championship wasn't affected. As already said, the effect of poor fixture scheduling (having two or three home matches in a short space of time) was bigger than that of the Champions' League
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: IA[/cite]It's a waste of time if you only publish findings or tweak the data to verify whatever existing opinions you might have, regardless of how far from the truth they are.

Papers are commissioned for this very purpose all the time. It's big business, and is used by most industries. This is why we have research papers that come up with the completely opposite opinion using the exact same data, or rather a selected set of items from the same pool of data.

This is why the mobile phone operators claim that there is absolutely no evidence that using their products caused any adverse health problems.

This does, however, pale into significance when compared with the tobacco industry that still seem to be able to produce evidence that claims that smoking does not cause heart disease or cancer.

In my experience, all papers of this nature are started with the intention of proving something, and normally those paying for the report find that their beliefs are proved to be right.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: kings hill addickThis does, however, pale into significance when compared with the tobacco industry that still seem to be able to produce evidence that claims that smoking does not cause heart disease or cancer.

Where?