Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Any golfers on here ?

Playing Chelsfield Lakes tomorrow, not played there before so looking forward to it.

Only play once or twice a year now, used to be a member at Shooters Hill and got down to 16 handicap, but nowadays just happy breaking 100.

Comments

• Options
    Yep, I play quite a bit locally. Chelsfield is very nice for a pay and play, but is on the short side. It can get a little snarled up at the weekend after 9, but will be fine on a Fri.

The best one locally I've found this year is Cobtree Manor for a pay and play - just down the M20 near Aylesford.
  • Options
    try and play about once a month and it's normally Chelsfield, can normally go round there around 85-90 now on a decent day...nice course and not to taxing, have always liked the 3rd hole and always have a go at smashing it to the green ! (it's not as far around the corner as you think, cut the corner a bit and you'll be fine)

I like playing Austin Lodge and Birchwood used to be o.k
  • Options
    can't th9ink of more mundane sport to play/
  • Options
    Never swung a club in my life & have no intention of doing so until my poor knees & ankles finally give up the ghost & I retire from All Football for good.
  • Options
    Whys that Arf? Not got the technical ability to pull it off? ;)
  • Options
    Yep - I'm often seen taking my bats for a walk whilst looking for golf balls - that is how to play golf aint it?

Tee'ing off at Cray Valley this sunday morning around 10am. Havent been there for a little while now but its nice and open so I dont tend to loose too many balls there. I also play at Birchwood, Barnehurst and on a couple of occasions played the lakes (although not this year). My handicap is between 20-30 depending on the size of my hangover!

Anyone tried the 9-hole at Thamesmede lately?
  • Options
    im playing at South Essex (used to be stoney hills) saturday morning..
    anyone played that?? i have a couple of times before..

its made up of 3 9hole's (heron,hawk & vixen) with a little tea hut inbetween them all with a BABE who serves behind the counter
  • Options
    never played South Essex, Austin Lodge has benefitted from most of my hooks in recent years. God that's a long walk !
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    played west essex very recently,was in very good nic,was a member of shooter's hill too,but that was turning out to be very expensive rounds with the lack of times i used it.i always enjoyed playing at austin lodge and chelsfield is ok,though i don't like the first and there is the constant buzzing with the electricity pylons on a couple of holes.westerham is good for societies.

and if you haven't already,play the addington!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: cafcpolo[/cite]Whys that Arf? Not got the technical ability to pull it off? ;)

He's like John Daly so he should be half decent at it
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    .......forgot about those buzzing pylon cables....must remember to use that as my excuse of a bad round!

Seems like we have a few golfers on this site. What about setting up a Charlton Life Golf Society? If it did get off the ground, one idea could be to arrange matches against golf players from other football clubs - especially during the close of the football season?
  • Options
    i tihnk Charlton Dan is a player as well.

Might be something worth returning to for a Spring date.
  • Options
    Curb it and Sooze can do the caddying

I hope I dont lose my ball in the rough
  • Options
    I can play golf myself! well, can putt well, and can whack it some at a driving range.

if we hire buggies i'll drive. did that in portugal caddying for my dad.
  • Options
    sounds a good idea. a CL golf day..

Im take some of my clients to Dale Hill in Kent next month for a weekend of golf..
    Last year we took them to Le touquet.. great time was had!!
  • Options
    I had a 3 day corporate trip to Le Touquet a couple of months back, absolutely fantastic, top quality place as well, we were there for Bastille day and it was excellent - played 3 courses in 3 days and 2 of them were 2 of the best I've ever played/seen (bloody hard though!).

My next corporate jolly is to the American Express Championship in 2 weeks at the Grove in Herts...all day on the Thursday followed by a night out in St Albans and a decent hotel, never been to a 'live' golf event and am really looking forward to it.
  • Options
    yeah there are some very good (& testing) courses out there...
    deffo go back ..
  • Options
    i went to the open at muirfield a few years back. had tikets for the practice days and the main event. loved it. always been around golf cos my dad plays every week and goes on trips and stuff, but never been one for watching the whole thing on the telly but since i've seen it live, i love watching it.

can't wait for next weekend!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKA Bartram[/cite]i tihnk Charlton Dan is a player as well.

Might be something worth returning to for a Spring date.

I do play mate. Member at Royal Blackheath and I used to be a member at SHGC.

When were you a member there D? I left when I was 16, so (aaarggh god) 17 years ago. Still know a fair few people and the family name will be known up there as my Grandfather and Dad were members there for around 40 + years between them.

I'd be up for a golf day in the spring. Played that Links course at Swanley around a year ago. Good course and they are open to societies even at the weekend. Might be a good local venue??
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Eltham_addick[/cite]I had a 3 day corporate trip to Le Touquet a couple of months back, absolutely fantastic, top quality place as well, we were there for Bastille day and it was excellent - played 3 courses in 3 days and 2 of them were 2 of the best I've ever played/seen (bloody hard though!).

My next corporate jolly is to the American Express Championship in 2 weeks at the Grove in Herts...all day on the Thursday followed by a night out in St Albans and a decent hotel, never been to a 'live' golf event and am really looking forward to it.

If you ever get the chance play golf in the US...... different class mate. Courses are all perfect and the level of service is second to none. Having said that give me a game on somewhere like Turnberry any day over these young upstarts!!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    wont go back to chelsfield as it took us 5 and a half hours to play 12 holes then when we went to clubhouse found out they had 4 societies that day.
    often go to ruxley/cray for a cheapo round (£48 for 2 people + buggy at ruxley and it isn't as bad as some people say). pedham is a cracking course but lack facilities. darenth has good facilities yet is a bit up and down. red libbetts and broke hill are well kept yet expensive.
    i play in the charlton bootroom society, we played upchurch river valley on wednesday and have also played high elms, birchwood, cottesmore, poult wood, kent national and blackheath.
    we went to st omer a few years back, when we turned up at the course there were scoreboards everywhere and found caddies course notes in buggies. played (and parred) the 1st but the greens were like putting on ice. turns out it is/was on the european tour circuit and the competition finished the day before. i now know what they mean when they say the greens are 'up to speed', and beleive me it is a totally different ball game.
  • Options
    bump
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    [cite]Posted By: cafcpolo[/cite]Whys that Arf? Not got the technical ability to pull it off? ;)

Well if i have never played how would i or you know if i had he technical ability - eh eh
  • Options
    Occasionally and certainly not as often as i'd like, oh and very badly.

At Lullingstone usually.
  • Options
    Member at Ruxley off 14 would definately be interested in CL Golf Society.
  • Options
    Member at Woodlands Manor GC, Very Tough Course.
  • Options
    I love the idea of golf, have been on a few golf societies, but only for the beer really as i cant even get the ball off of the ground. A CL society could just work! BTW the last course i played was cherry lodge! it was crap!
  • Options
    hit and miss for me.

i often go up the driving range and whack a few balls after work but have never actually done a round of golf!

i go from smacking the ball 200 yards to miss hitting it 10 yards!!

also i have no idea what club to use
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: northstandsteve[/cite]Member at Ruxley off 14 would definately be interested in CL Golf Society.

14 ???? You definitley aren't getting an invite :)
  • Options
    Anyone see top gear last nite, That's how to play golf !!

Only kidding, and i'm sure it was set up, but quite funny and if i'd been behind them i'd have ben pi$$ed off too