Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Now this is a "good" crowd

What's the top crowd we could imagine in the Championship, which we are told is a very strong league in Europe because of the high attendances. I suppose if Leeds need to win to go up, they'd fill Elland road, so what, 37,000?

Last Saturday there was a local derby in a European second division, between two teams you'd hardly know the names of - Hertha and Union. It was the Berlin derby, and the attendance, even with an early 13.00 kick off, was: 74,244. Hertha are the league leaders while Union are fighting relegation, but Union came from behind to win 2-1. Must have been awesome to be there, in the Olympic Stadion.

But hey, the Premier League is the greatest league in the world, isn't it....

Comments

• a derby in one of Europes biggest citys. whats the standard of the premier league got to do with?
  • Interesting, not sure about the last sentence though ?
  • Hertha are quite well known to me anyway, Union I never knew existed.

It's a little bit weird that Hertha are Berlins biggest team and are only playing in the 2nd division.

Football in this country could do well to follow the Bundesliga with standing areas and cheap tickets.
  • Hertha got relegated last season. Their crowds fluctuate hugely depending on who they are playing. Can be as low as 20 odd thousand.

Pretty sure Hertha (Olympic Stadium) is one of the few German grounds that is all-seater for domestic matches (could be wrong).
  • Hertha Berlin are quite well known to be fair.
  • edited February 2011
    Here is a game from the German 3rd Division a few months back, Dynamo Dresden v Hansa Rostock, not big cities by any means or a big rivalry between the teams - Attendance: 31,723

Good example of the atmosphere as well:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5WUBtWN4F7U&
  • Union are the second biggest club in Berlin and their average attendance is 13,500. Hardly impressive

Stats for the German second division

Hertha are well-known, and it's a derby between the two biggest clubs in one of Europe's biggest cities. Bit strange to compare Berlin to Leeds, Derby, Nottingham, Leicester, Norwich etc.

Anyway, the Bundesliga has already overtaken the Premier League for average attendance
  • Plus probably about £10 a ticket.
  • Plus they can drink on the purpose built terraces.
  • Surely the last championship playoff topped that?

Brazil also have large attendances for occasional lower league games.
  • Sponsored links:

• The championship is the fourth best supported league in Europe. That's mighty impressive for a second tier league.
  • Average attendances this season in the second div of the Bundesliga are 13,707. In the Championship 17,206.
  • Yes very impressive and i did not know about Union, nor did i know about the huge turn out for this game.

But what on earth does it have to do with English top tier footy in the slightest?????????
    Every champs league has strong English competition, and the standard of football in the English prem as well as the passion from crowds overall is the best in the world.
  • Biggest 2nd Div crowd I've been in was 47,000 at Maine Road in 1985. The biggest I can remember was Crystal Palace v Burnley in 1979, 51,000 I think (although I'm sure Newcastle would have topped that last season).
  • The various criticisms of my last sentence are fully deserved.

What I was getting at was just that because of all the hype around the FAPL we can tend to think its the only game in town Europe -wise. Lots of people here have commented favourably about the Bundesliga in the past and this was just another example. I'm really quite envious of German club fans, they have a lot of fun, I reckon.

The attendance was all the more amazing because Berlin, while it is - now - the capital, it hasnt traditionally been a footie stronghold in Germany. Hertha are reasonably well known, but hardly giants. Not sure of Union's history. It would be nice to think its part of the renaissance of a city that was previously deiided by the Wall. Was up there in December, and recommend it for a long weekend, the atmosphere is awesome.

It would be nice to see Hansa Rostock and Dynamo Dresden rise again, they symbolise the subservience of the East in the years since reunification and they have proud club histories. Hansa in particular sounds like an away game you wouldn't fancy on a dark winter night.
  • Berlin is the only capital city in the world that has never had a team win it's top flight, however just because their teams aren't very good doesn't mean their fans are going to dislike football.

Also Hertha Berlin are my german side, so I have heard of them.
  • Berlin is not that big a capital city either only 3.5 million residents compared to London 7.8 million
  • edited February 2011
    But there are only 2 pro football teams. Only one of which has played Bundesliga football in the last 10 years, where as London has 5 Premier League teams, plus well supported football league teams such as ourselves & QPR and the not so well supported like Palace, Orient & Millwall.
  • [cite]Posted By: JollyRobin[/cite]But there are only 2 pro football teams. Only one of which has played Bundesliga football in the last 10 years, where as London has 5 Premier League teams, plus well supported football league teams such as ourselves & QPR and the not so well supported like Palace, Orient & Millwall.

I see what you've done there...clever.
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: PragueAddick[/cite]The various criticisms of my last sentence are fully deserved.

What I was getting at was just that because of all the hype around the FAPL we can tend to think its the only game in town Europe -wise. Lots of people here have commented favourably about the Bundesliga in the past and this was just another example. I'm really quite envious of German club fans, they have a lot of fun, I reckon.

i know what u mean. often see the german goals from the weekend on eurosport and their games always look like they have cracking atmospheres. wonder what they think when they see the goals from wigan & bolton.