Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

£30 mill for Carroll? BWP BARGAIN?

edited January 2011 in General Charlton
if liverpool as going out and splashing £30 million on andy carroll, us paying only arround £200k for Bradley Wright-Phillips has surley got to be the bargain on the century?

Comments

• i agree totally!
  • I'll reserve judgement until I see BWP play
  • 1 Carroll = 150 BWPs, and infinity Akpos.
  • [cite]Posted By: Bagpuss[/cite]1 Carroll = 150 BWPs, and infinity Akpos.

If the fee for BWP is correct at £125k, it's exactly 1/280th of the Carroll fee (excluding add-ons)
  • But we all know that the required ability of the players rises exponentially as you rise up the league pyramid and into the Champions League - where Liverpool aim to be.

Sure Carroll would not score c. 200 times as many goals for us as BWP would do, but the likelihood is that BWP would never play in a team that finished in the top four of the Premier League.

If BWP fails to stay fit enough to score enough goals for us to be promoted this season or next the money we pay him (transfers and salary) could well turn out to be a waste of money.

If Carroll fires Liverpool into the Champions League they will probably pocket his entire transfer fee in one season’s tv money.
  • Does this mean Newcastle lose out on their share of the premiership pig trough?
    That will cost em a hell of a lot more than the lucre they received
  • [cite]Posted By: Floyd Montana[/cite]Does this mean Newcastle lose out on their share of the premiership pig trough?
    That will cost em a hell of a lot more than the lucre they received

Here is the latest table....

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/eng_prem/table/default.stm

You would think they only need 10 points from 15 games to stay up but stranger things have happened and you would think there will be a massive blowback from the fans about Carroll's departure and the fact that he has not been replaced.

I would absolutely love to see them relegated,
  • edited February 2011
    [cite]Posted By: Ormiston Addick[/cite]
    I would absolutely love to see them relegated,

That would be Pardew's greatest achievement.

Even greater than what he acheived with us, maybe.
  • I feel sorry for pards actually as he was told when he joined them that carroll (their best player, their goal scorer and their tailsiman) would not be sold. And when he was sold (at a crazy price) he had no time to bring in another striker to score him the goals). However, at the same time this was an offer that was to good to refuse...£35m for a player that has only really played in the PL for half a season is a hell of alot...

I think carroll an suerez could be lethal if they get it right, as they have all the makings of the big man/little man partnership....

In addition, Carroll is also a very good goal scorer both with his feet and head, so I think they will do well...
  • I should clubs are already lining up their duds to sell to newcastle in the summer knowing that the clown has £35m to spend in the summer
  • Sponsored links:

• Yes, when you are offered silly money you have to take it. Altghough the deal won't look so good if Newcastle go down.
  • Curious innit.

When Darren Bent went to Villa everyone in the media moaned about mercenary footballers. When Dzeko went to Man City the latter were accused of reckless spending.

Liverpool pay £35m on a largely unproven forward and everyone in the media falls over themselves to write nothing but praise.
  • [cite]Posted By: Bagpuss[/cite]1 Carroll = 150 BWPs, and infinity Akpos.

Haha
  • [cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite]Liverpool pay £35m on a largely unproven forward and everyone in the media falls over themselves to write nothing but praise.
    it's all in the name Liverpool
  • Suarez is a much better signing than Carroll but all in all I think that Liverpool will be better off with these two than just with Torres.
  • Pazzini went to Inter from Sampdoria for £12m this window. There is an Italian international and a proven goal scorer who has scored goals for fun at every level he has ever played at (most of them in the top flight) and quite frankly a better player than Carroll. Madness.
  • F*** em all, F*** em all,
    Suarez, Torres and Carroll,
    Cos we've got Wright-Phillips,
    and he is the best,
    we've got Wright-Phillips,
    so f*** all the rest!
  • Mirror reporting that Carroll is out for the rest of the season.
  • Who the f*ck needs Andy Carrol,
    Who the f*ck needs that Torres.
    We're the boys in red and white,
    Now we've got our Bradley Wright
    And he bangs em in for fun!
  • [cite]Posted By: The Red Robin[/cite]Pazzini went to Inter from Sampdoria for £12m this window. There is an Italian international and a proven goal scorer who has scored goals for fun at every level he has ever played at (most of them in the top flight) and quite frankly a better player than Carroll. Madness.

Not in the prem though and we all know that's completey different football to the italian league.
  • Sponsored links:

• The fee for Pazzini was nearer to 16Million.A player in his prime.Good feet and an excellent header of the ball.Playing and scoring for the current European and World Club Champions Inter Milan.He would score for fun in the Premiership.
  • [cite]Posted By: Paul Walsh 79[/cite]The fee for Pazzini was nearer to 16Million.A player in his prime.Good feet and an excellent header of the ball.Playing and scoring for the current European and World Club Champions Inter Milan.He would score for fun in the Premiership.

like shevchenko did?
  • [cite]Posted By: Robert[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Paul Walsh 79[/cite]The fee for Pazzini was nearer to 16Million.A player in his prime.Good feet and an excellent header of the ball.Playing and scoring for the current European and World Club Champions Inter Milan.He would score for fun in the Premiership.

like shevchenko did?

No,more like Zola,Vialli or Paolo did.I emphasised that Pazzini is in his prime.This year he scored three goals for Sampdoria against Werder Bremen in the Champions League.A few years ago he scored a hat trick for Italy under 21s
    against England at Wembley.
    No one can ever be sure but in my opinion his style of play would suit him in the Premiership.
  • Anyone else been watching the Liverpool vs Newcastle game? Carroll has looked an absolute carthorse. Still find the fee they paid unbelievable.
  • And Newcastle are probably still scratching their heads at the amount the scousers coughed up for that donkey. £35m for him? How much is a Rhodes or a Lambert or a Holt worth then?
  • It was 35...
  • He looks like he's got a stinking attitude as well. Hardly busting a gut to justify the price tag and almost looked pissed off when Liverpool scored.
  • I feel I could out run caroll after a few pints,the bloke isnt worth 25k.Nice to listen to that fool pardew lol.Wish sky would get a few decent pundits.

• Watching the game here in Canada. Paul Walsh was the in-game pundit, James Richardson was presenting from a stripped down studio with Don Hutchison and Lord Curbishley providing the expert analysis. Only Alan Parry let the team down with his constant swooning over Gerrard. Overall though it was no frills coverage from a knowledgable team, Sky & the Beeb could do with focussing a bit more on the quality of their presenters and a bit less on how glossy their studios are or how big their stupid touchscreens are.
  • Carroll was poor ...........simple as that