Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

****STOP PRESS***** 29 jan - ROCHDALE OFF*******

Comments

• GOT AS FAR AS JUNCTION 13 ON M11THEN HEARD IT ON RADIO!!!! BET LOADS OF OTHER NOT SO LUCKY TO HEAR IT EARLY DOORS!
  • NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Im half cut and just got in.......

Damn it
  • edited January 2011
    We will probably be about 10th tonight with 4 games in hand on everyone. I was looking forward to this one as I was hoping we could break back into the top 6. Peeved.
  • Bugger, was looking forward to this. I live about 30 miles away and everything here is frozen solid - not a nice day to be on the terraces, that's for sure.

Feel sorry for those travelling up from the homelands.....
  • [cite]Posted By: CAFC Sidcup[/cite]Had just got on M1 when a charlton fan driving past waving and shouting that the game was off!

That was probably Martin and I....Thanks to AFKA for calling and letting us know...didnt believe the Orange football text that came through five minutes earlier...
  • was looking forward to this, but was already planning for thermals. flew back into manchester yesterday and wondered if it wiuld be off. -4 in sheffield overnight. currently -1. wednesday v's hereford is on.....if your almost here!?
  • Turned around at Stoke, quite a few Charlton on the train back to London. Couldn't be arsed with Bolton v Wigan or Crewe v Accrington. Back in London at 1220. At least Virgin trains are quick. S**t happens!
  • I got the dreaded "game off"phone call 10 mins after my train had left Euston so i jumped off at Milton Keynes.Oh well.
  • anyone know what happend to the bloke who had to get of the coach and get a train to rochdale?
  • I was looking foward to Spotland too. I suppose it's Chelsea on TV instead,
  • Sponsored links:

• Left home at 8 from South Coast got as far as Warwick before getting it confirmed as game off. Nice 250 mile round trip for SFA.
  • Literally just about to set off, thank god I decided to check CL first.

Now I can continue to die of hangover in bed for the rest of the day.
  • Just got back.

Got the 'phone call whilst having breakfast on the A1 about ten - 100 miles short of the pub.

Had a check round for any obvious replacement games - the best option being Rotherham, but decided against it.

Called the Hotel to cancel the bookings and thye hadn't heard as some of heir kitchen staff work at Spotland and had only just left for the ground - we still had to pay a £10 a room cancellation.

Bloody furious about the whole situation, it's not as if we're just down the road. Not even a hint of a pitch inspection mentioned yesterday or today - at least we could have delayed our departure by an hour if we had known there was an inspection. It's just cost the four of us in our car over £100 to travel over 300 miles for breakfast.
  • edited January 2011
    There wasn't an inspection planned but the ref travelled yesterday because of concern about the
    temperature overnight. We were made aware of that and they asked about coach times. At that stage it was expected to be -3 or -4. In practice it was -7, I'm told. They called it off about 9am and I don't think they could have done much more, to be honest. It was -1 at that stage.

I've done £250 on this game so far so if there's anyone to blame I'll be in the queue.

All coach fares will be refunded, but otherwise there's not much we can do.
  • [cite]Posted By: Airman Brown[/cite]We were made aware of that and they asked about coach times.

Is that the Royal 'we'.

A heads up on the OS and here may have been an idea.
  • Hindsight is a wonderful thing. In the end it's January and every match is at risk until the day of the game. We get our weather forecast from the BBC website same as you can. I was on a train when the news came through But if it helps you to blame someone feel free.
  • can i use my ticket and coach travel for the game when it is next on?
  • edited January 2011
    [cite]Posted By: geecare[/cite]can i use my ticket and coach travel for the game when it is next on?

Yes.
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: Airman Brown[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: geecare[/cite]can i use my ticket and coach travel for the game when it is next on?[/quote]

Yes.[/quote]

thanks
  • So Airman, do you think it not fair to ask that as 'we' were informed that the pitch may be inspected first thing that the information may just be found useful to those that were travelling North fairly early?

If I had been informed last night that there was a possibility that a pitch inspection may happen this morning, then I would certainly have posted it on here. But I wasn't privileged to that information - you were and it wasn't hindsight. You can't change your train times - but certainly I could of delayed my departure by car by an hour if I was aware that we would have an inspection at 9.00am.

I saw the BBC weather site last night and at midnight it certainly wasn't predicting a low of the -7 you posted.

So yes. I am blaming someone. The Club and it's ability of it's staff to communicate to it's fans either here or on the OS, that there was a planned pitch inspection at Spotland this morning.

More to the point, I expect better from you than your earlier reply.
  • Sponsored links:

• Saturdays with no football are dull. Feel sorry for the fans who went down there, luckily I didn't.

Twice Rochdalle has been called off, they should just give us the three points. :D
  • edited January 2011
    [cite]Posted By: Addickted[/cite]So Airman, do you think it not fair to ask that as 'we' were informed that the pitch may be inspected first thing that the information may just be found useful to those that were travelling North fairly early?

If I had been informed last night that there was a possibility that a pitch inspection may happen this morning, then I would certainly have posted it on here. But I wasn't privileged to that information - you were and it wasn't hindsight. You can't change your train times - but certainly I could of delayed my departure by car by an hour if I was aware that we would have an inspection at 9.00am.

I saw the BBC weather site last night and at midnight it certainly wasn't predicting a low of the -7 you posted.

So yes. I am blaming someone. The Club and it's ability of it's staff to communicate to it's fans either here or on the OS, that there was a planned pitch inspection at Spotland this morning.

More to the point, I expect better from you than your earlier reply.

My involvement in this was to take a call from Chris Parkes yesterday afternoon asking what time the coaches were leaving to pass on to Rochdale. I was told that they had asked the referee to travel overnight as a precaution against a severe overnight frost. At the time, it was expected to be -3 and Rochdale advised that because there was no frost in the pitch already and Saturday temperatures were predicted to be positive there should not be a problem. But they wanted to have the ref there in case things were worse than forecast so they could tell Charlton fans as early as possible if that happened.

We were never told that there would be a pitch inspection as such. On the basis of the information we had, the coaches set off as planned.

I was on Ramsgate station at 8.55am when I got a call from Chris, in Rochdale, to say that the frost had been worse than expected and there would be an inspection in about ten minutes, the result of which you know. By that time I was on the HS1 to St Pancras, my brother was on his train to Manchester and the coaches had left Charlton.

As you say, I could have come on here yesterday saying the ref was travelling overnight. But that's really a question that you should direct at the club more generally, because it is no part of my job to make announcements of that kind on the OS or on here. I was also in no position to update that situation unless the match was called off, because I wasn't ever going to get a call to say that the game was on - only that it was off.

As it happens, I'm £250 down on train fares to Rochdale for my family at this point, so I'm as hacked off as anyone. If I could have helped I would have done, but if you think the club should have given out more information then it's the communications team you need to address. But personally, on the information available to it yesterday, I think the club acted properly.
  • [cite]Posted By: bc_addick[/cite]Left home at 8 from South Coast got as far as Warwick before getting it confirmed as game off. Nice 250 mile round trip for SFA.

How much do those Scottish fellas pay you BC?
    Sorry for your wasted journey.
    See you Tuesday!
  • How did I hear this first? ???
  • Thank you Airman.

I wasn't blaming you personally, but if you were aware that there may have been a pitch inspection this morning, then so were the communications team, whose job it is to errr, communicate, I assume with the fans.

Matt is, generally, very good at that on this forum.

Unfortunately, last night and this morning he wasn't. You are the next font of Charlton info on here (like it or not) and you didn't 'warn' us that the ref was travelling overnight.

I left Yalding a 7.15am this morning. What I'm saying is that I didn't have to if I was fore warned of a likely pitch inspection. I know it was my choice to leave that early - but my group (OK only 8 of us this time) like to travel early and stay overnight in the locale. And I bet we're not the only ones.

As it was, we heard of the postponment through friends - four of whon 'phoned us individually just after 10 am. By then we'd travelled over 150 miles north and subsequently had to cancel our Hotel rooms (for the second time) which, as it was so late in the day, cost the group another £40.

That is my gripe.

That and 35 years of waiting to visit Spotland and let down yet again............ :-)
  • [cite]Posted By: Addickted[/cite]That and 35 years of waiting to visit Spotland and let down yet again............ :-)

Spotland is Spotland, mate.

As a veteran of twice seeing Charlton play there, as well as a handful of other fixtures against other teams, you haven't missed too much. Friendly people, "proper" football club ..... but I'd keep your adrenaline rush simmering on the back burner.

;o)
  • My only gripe would be that it was on Sky as a newsflash at about 9.20am and yet wasn't on the official website for about at least 30 minutes after that. The Rochdale site was reporting it before we did as well. Thankfully I got a call from someone on the coaches so didn't even leave home.
  • As I said, hindsight is a wonderful thing. What happened reflects our view that there wasn't likely to be a problem. If we'd thought there was, we'd have acted differently.

I was out last night and Matt wasn't available this morning. We both do what we can outside working hours, but until the club employs its staff 24 hours a day there will be times when we are doing other things, especially if we are not expecting anything to happen.

Gary Haines, who was working, put the news out as soon as he could. Wendy Perfect and I, who weren't, did our best with the coaches.
  • edited January 2011
    Just got back, found out just as I got on train at Euston that Rochdale game was off and although could have turned round, went up to Manchester and to the Bolton game. Met my mate at Picadilly and we managed to get in for a fiver each.

Not the best game obviously but would have wasted 40 quid on train tickets otherwise and had a decent day out. Wigans back four are awful but they do try and pass the ball and keep it on the ground. Was impressed with Victor Moses and despite him missing a couple of chances, his movement, touch and skill on the ball were good. As for Bolton, they have certainly moved on from Allardyces/Megsons long ball but lacked a bit of quality at times.

Starting to think the Rochdale game is doomed.
  • edited January 2011
    Five of us were on the 8am out of Euston and we found out at Macclesfield that the game was off again. We had no option but to carry on as we were on the 2015 out of Leeds back to Kings Cross, however we decided to make a trip to the Don Valley Stadium and watch the delights of Rotherham v Stockport.

Was impressed with Alfie Le Fondre and Nicky Law. Le Fondre reminded us lot of a certain Mr Mendonca. Too good for that level (though Stockport were woeful) and nearly scored one of the best goals i have seen live, when he lobbed the keeper from 45 yards (keeper 10 yards off his line) but the ref blew for a push.

Another new ground and a few beers at Leeds/on the train home, though it maybe best to rearrange the Rochdale game for April/May where it could have more of a chance of being played.