Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Help, please .....appalling service

edited January 2011 in Not Sports Related
My mother who is 80 years old, lives on her own, and not in the best of health has had her cable telephone & TV line severed.

She is with Virgin Media.

I've contacted Virgin Media, and they say that 22nd February is the earliest date they can reconnect her.
I don't think that is acceptable for an elderly, vulnerable woman to be without a phone for nearly 4 weeks.

I've wasted loads of time and been all round the houses with Virgin - basically they just shrug their shoulders and say there is nothing more that they can do.

Advice please?

Comments

• Did they say why it was disconnected and is there any reason why you want to styay with them. BT can offer a faster (if more expensive) serive.
  • I know it doesn't answer the central point, but why not nip out and get her a pay as you go phone, at least she will then have a link to the outside world...
  • edited January 2011
    ring the local paper. Great story for them, swift action from Virgin, result for you.

is it in kent? Might have a local sports journo's number. Wrong section but could point you to news room.
  • The line was severed outside by Housing Association contractors cutting grass.
  • my sis(on here as Wilma) works at ofcom currently, not speaking for her - but she might be able to offer some advice. I will point her at this thread.
  • edited January 2011
    [cite]Posted By: fatkit[/cite]I know it doesn't answer the central point, but why not nip out and get her a pay as you go phone, at least she will then have a link to the outside world...

I'll have to get a mobile to her. She lives in Sittingbourne and I live in Cornwall
    But I do have a sister who lives a bit nearer who might be able to do something.
  • Whereabouts does she live Oggy? Suggest writing to the chief exec of VM, cc'ing her MP. That should hopefully get things moving.

In the mean time, could you get her a cheap PAYG mobile for a tenner from Argos and top it up with some credit, so she's not totally isolated? It's not ideal but it's better than nothing.
  • [cite]Posted By: kigelia[/cite]my sis(on here as Wilma) works at ofcom currently, not speaking for her - but she might be able to offer some advice. I will point her at this thread.

Thanks, Kigelia.
  • If you go on Argos they'll probably deliever a mobile to her.
  • [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]ring the local paper. Great story for them, swift action from Virgin, result for you.

is it in kent? Might have a local sports journo's number. Wrong section but could point you to news room.

She lives in Sittingbourne, Henry.
  • Sponsored links:

• All the best, Oggy - think the least either Virgin or the Housing Association could do is to provide the suggested PAYG mobile...
  • [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]The line was severed outside by Housing Association contractors cutting grass.

If its housing association I image they will be applying a lot of pressure. I would go through them rather than trying to deal with Virgin directly.
  • [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]The line was severed outside by Housing Association contractors cutting grass.
    Jesus, what with Oggy - surely the cable's buried a couple of feet.
  • [cite]Posted By: aliwibble[/cite]In the mean time, could you get her a cheap PAYG mobile for a tenner from Argos and top it up with some credit, so she's not totally isolated? It's not ideal but it's better than nothing.

Thanks, Ali, working on that one ....... talking to my sis, who's going to try to sort that out.

Poor old Mum won't have any telly for a month either, and like most elderly people, depends on her favourite programmes.
  • Not sure that Virgin are the ones with the appalling service - they didn't disconnect after all. Bit I'd still put some pressure on them to do an emergency reconnect.
    I'd chase the Housing Association even harder though and get them to pay for any extra costs she/you incur.
  • [cite]Posted By: Plaaayer[/cite]If you go on Argos they'll probably deliever a mobile to her.
    Nope, they don't deliver, they'll only do them in person. I think cos you have to buy the top-up at the same time
  • [cite]Posted By: DRF[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]The line was severed outside by Housing Association contractors cutting grass.

If its housing association I image they will be applying a lot of pressure. I would go through them rather than trying to deal with Virgin directly.

The housing association will also have their own contractor for aerial installations etc. who should be able to do it in less than 4 weeks too. Definitely get on to them as their contractors were responsible....
  • [cite]Posted By: DRF[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]The line was severed outside by Housing Association contractors cutting grass.

Good point. She actually owns her own maisonette (leasehold) but in a housing association block. She's not a tenant.

I'll give them a ring, as they are responsible for the grounds.
  • Really appreciate all your suggestions, folks.

Many thanks!
  • edited January 2011
    Had a near identical situation with my Mum. I think you first need to get through to someone higher at Virgin. This is a clear cut emergency case and they do have extra responsibilities in these situations. But if still no joy, get onto the newsdesk of the local TV and press, they will cover it. Then tell Virgin what you have done ( add in Watchdog as well) and supply them with a contact number and name of the person you spoke to at the press offices. Ask the Virgin contact persons for their full name and position within Virgin, ask them to log all details and to treat it as an official complaint. You should get a very rapid response. Has your Mum got a mobile in the meantime?
  • Sponsored links:

• If your still stuck Oggy, my daughter lives in Queenbro I'll see if she will nip into town pick up a phone and deliver it to her.
  • Virgin told us it would take up to a month to fix our line when it went down, phoned them up again and told them we were going with Sky and they quickly changed their tune and said they would send someone out within a week. Just threaten them you will leave and you might get better service.

Went with Sky anyway as Virgin Media support is very poor.
  • I have had a similar problem with My Mum's Phone & Internet in Chessington. She was without both a landline & Internet for nearly Four Months. Whenever we rung up BT or the actual line provider all we got was there is nothing we can do. Would love to haul whoever is actually responsible over the coals but just feel complaining now is pointless.
  • Oggy, have sent you a whisper.

Also have a spare basic Freeview box sitting at home doing nothing if your Mum would like it - not as much choice as a Pay TV service but better than five channels!

Wilma :-)

PS - if you don't get anything sorted, let me know and I'll see if I can find out the personal email address of Virgin's top bloke!!!
  • [cite]Posted By: T.C.E[/cite]If your still stuck Oggy, my daughter lives in Queenbro I'll see if she will nip into town pick up a phone and deliver it to her.

If that's not possible, we will gladly help out, we live in Swale, no plans for today or tomorrow.
  • A special thanks to all you wonderful Lifers who have offered a spare mobile......that's really kind and generous of you.

However my sister has got hold of one that she'll be taking over to Mum a little later tonight., so that's now sorted.
    But thank you all.
  • You've gotta love this board sometimes.

Ntl took ages to reconnect me once when something similar happened. Then they made a right song and dance about refunding me the monthly charges - for a service that I wasn't getting and that they took ages to restore.

Still, I got them back a year later by setting one of their vans alight. (Joke)
  • I know this sounds a bit extreme, but I always go this route ie straight to the top. Google Virgin or specifically Richard Branson. Ask strongly to speak to Richard and you should get to his PA or at least someone high up. Lay the story on a bit thick, 80 years etc and you should find you get action. You could also aim at the MD of Virgin Media perhaps mentioning that you are seeking to speak to Richard, but do it quick before close of business. Good luck.
  • Cor dear there are some nice people on here.

I agree with the customer support comment - it is absolutely pants. That woman's voice on the recorded bit. Last time we did a call out they tell you they will charge you 10 quid if you are not in when they come round to fix the problem. Last time Ian sat in for the 5 hour allotted timeslot... then he called to find out where they were and the man said, oh we saw the problem had been fixed externally so didn't bother coming round. We tried to charge them a tenner for not coming round.

they get right on my nerves.
  • [cite]Posted By: Granpa[/cite]I know this sounds a bit extreme, but I always go this route ie straight to the top. Google Virgin or specifically Richard Branson. Ask strongly to speak to Richard and you should get to his PA or at least someone high up. Lay the story on a bit thick, 80 years etc and you should find you get action. You could also aim at the MD of Virgin Media perhaps mentioning that you are seeking to speak to Richard, but do it quick before close of business. Good luck.

this would be my action plan, aim high from the outset.

best of luck Oggy mate.