Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Addicks eye double deal before deadline

edited January 2011 in General Charlton
http://www.newsshopper.co.uk/sport/8817666.Addicks_eye_double_deal_before_deadline/

Comments

• I love the Thursday press conferences.

So no hints P. as to who or even what positions? Feel free to whisper : - )
  • a Left back and right midfielder me thinks.
  • why a left back?, surely a right back if either.

I reckon a centre half and right sided midfielder who could also play in the middle
  • No need to whisper Henry as there are no hints.
  • [cite]Posted By: Elthamaddick[/cite]why a left back?, surely a right back if either.

I reckon a centre half and right sided midfielder who could also play in the middle
    Fry's loan ends soon (but we could extend it), at right back Solly just needs a few reserve games to get match fitness and we also have Jenkinson.
  • and Francis - let's give the guy a break - Solley will have to work for his place. I'd have Francis above him at the moment - principally for his height. Solley has bags of potential though so it can change.
  • [cite]Posted By: News Shopper[/cite]No need to whisper Henry as there are no hints.

Thanks for the whisper P. can't see either of them coming TBH be you never know : - )
  • Can Francis play CH? Just an idea.
  • Can Francis play ? Just an idea :-)
  • [cite]Posted By: MuttleyCAFC[/cite]I'd have Francis above him at the moment - principally for his height.

may as well sign someone from the NBA then if that is the sole criteria. Don't worry if he can't tackle, can't pass accurately and has no positional sense. Has got better I grant you but is still cack.
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: MuttleyCAFC[/cite]and Francis - let's give the guy a break - Solley will have to work for his place. I'd have Francis above him at the moment - principally for his height. Solley has bags of potential though so it can change.

Since when did height matter for a full back? An ability to tackle, get up and down the pitch and be able to cross the ball are surely more important. Francis isn't very good at any of them.
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: Chris_from_Sidcup[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: MuttleyCAFC[/cite]and Francis - let's give the guy a break - Solley will have to work for his place. I'd have Francis above him at the moment - principally for his height. Solley has bags of potential though so it can change.[/quote]

Since when did height matter for a full back? An ability to tackle, get up and down the pitch and be able to cross the ball are surely more important. Francis isn't very good at any of them.[/quote]

A considerable amount of goals we let in do come from corners or crosses so I think that height and being good in the air is an important aspect, having said that I enjoyed watching Solly at the start of the season and hope he does get some more chances to impress and develop as a player.
  • An excessivley small full-back, or at least one who is very weak in the air, can leave a side vulnerable to far-post crosses. Putting aside his attitude it was the biggest floor in Moo2's game.

In a league where high balls and crosses into the box are a principal form of attack for a lot of sides, it's not an area to be ignored.

I'm hopeful Powell can improve Francis - if he just gets a bit less casual in possession, and works harder to get tight to his winger and stop crosses at source then he'll be a decent enough player. Solly is a great alternative though, but I want to see we can keep him fit before I get too excited about him.
  • From what ive seen of Jenkinson, even though he is very young, he looks like he could be a good prospect. So if Francis continues playing like the league 2 defender he is, then Solly or Jenkinson deserve a chance.
  • What the hell am i reading on here about Solly

too small

we let too many goals in from corners

high balls in the box

Does anyone remember Alan Wright a fantastic PREMIER LEAGUE defender who wouldve graced most teams in the prem at that time.

As a defender if you are a bit on the smaller side you pick you cover the posts at corners and freekicks,

iF you have good postioning and a footballing brain you can play in any full back postion, you make it sound like solly is 3 feet tall.

Simon Francis will never be the player Solly will and when fit the only player he should be competing against is Jenkinson.

He was MOM against Brentford when one of the most outragous management decisions was made, Solly out Francis in (who had missed a whole pre season)

The next start for Solly was in the cup game we lost at LEFT back not his postition and then he got injured,

Jenkinson did as good a job as a youngster could do on a cack pitch against a good team away from home aiding in keeping a clean sheet only to be dropped for the man who was chased all pre season and is in the squad for his delivery not defending according to the man who was at the helm

Simon Francis could leave tomorrow and the club would be no weaker for it he is proberly the worst full back i have ever seen who delivers 1 good ball a game but is woefully out of postition on virtually every single oppostition attack.

PLayers like Waggstaff, Solly, Jenkinson, Harriot should be the ones you all are hoping big things from and willing to come through not writing them off after 1 start this season in their rightful place because in your opinion they are too small but you have never seen them play

hang your heads

Francis = Shite
  • Agree with NLA on solly. He is class and while not tall times his jumps well and doesn't get caught wrong side very often.

Francis is not as terrible as nla says IMHO but he's not great either. I think gives you more going forward and is a better defender.

Not seen jenkinson so can't comment.
  • Could Francis play ahead of Solly in right midfield? a bit like Konchesky did back in the good old days?
  • edited January 2011
    Solly seems to be a thinking footballer, who had made it despite having to compete with much bigger youngsters as he was coming through, said big players have often dominated youth football because their physical presence have forgiven other footballing faults.
    I would rather have a good little 'un than an average big 'un. (as the actress...)
  • Crickey , one of my all time England heroes growing up was Kenny Sansom and Stuart Pearce , Sansom in particular was tiny , he didnt too bad from what I recall , 85 caps or so?
  • edited January 2011
    Not so sure about Francis playing right midfield!He isnt mobile enough!
  • Sponsored links:

• Agree NLA. Chris Perry was probably the smallest player in the prem (except the WP midgets) but was very handy as a centre back making up for his height with his brain and aggression.
  • [cite]Posted By: Imnot Athletic[/cite]Could Francis play ahead of Solly in right midfield? a bit like Konchesky did back in the good old days?

More likely that Solly could play right midfield ahead of Francis
  • its unbelivable as kammy would say shows a naivity in how to play football or an understanding of the game

there are numeros full backs across many leagues and many countries that are as tall as solly
  • Don't think RB will be an area Powell will be concerned about, especially with Solly returning to fitness. Expecting a new CB and a midfield playmaker and we should be fine, using the loan market if needs be.
  • Dont think Francis is good enough for first team neither is Solly at the moment,although a good prospect as is jenkinson .we definately need a right back and problably a left back,quicker centre back and creative midfielder too if we are to challenge for at least a playoff position.To get in top 2 add a decent winger to that and we might have a chance.Not much to ask but just being realistic.
  • Bert

what do you base your opinion on Solly on, i have seen him a good few times in the youth team and against bournemouth he was outstanding

have you been watching the ressies
  • francis start career has right winger!!!!
  • We already have a decent winger in waggy plus there Is Reid Joe and Eccles who can also play wide. Last position we need to look at IMHO

For some reason some fans seem to have a bit of a downer on Solly and Waggy. Sure they still have a lot to do but how many comments in how many threads are there writing them off. I just don't get it.
  • edited January 2011
    its un real there must have been some games that they played in that we missed where they were taken to school by average 3rd division players and where out of 15 attempts 1 ball found its target
  • Solly is a good player and like Wagstaff very determined, he's got the right sort of character. Given a chance he will keep learning and improving. He's 20 now so can't be seen as just a prospect for much longer.