Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

****GAME OFF****Rochdale vs Charlton | 29th January 2011 | Poll, Preview, Teams, News and Views

WSSWSS
edited January 2011 in General Charlton
Chris Powell takes charge of his first away game on Saturday against Rochdale with the added attacking option of the League One top marksmen added to the ranks in the shape of Bradley Wright-Phillips.

The signing of BWP is a signal of intent from the new manager and indeed the board and time will only tell whether it proves a shrewd signing. Many fans will say a pacy centre back and creative midfielder are still needed to maintain a realistic automatic promotion push although with games in hand and fixtures to come against Southampton there is no reason we cannot aim to be in the top 2 once all of the games have panned out with the current squad.

If we are to do that we need to maintain our decent away form (4th best in the league scoring on average 2.16 goals per game) while improving our home form. Saturday is definitely a game we should be looking to win with Rochdale having a home record which is the 8th worst in the division.

Once again, I can see few changes by Chris Powell in terms of team selection although a number of players are back in contention. Obviously new signing Bradley Wright Phillips will be in the squad, Paul Benson returns from his three match ban and Nathan Eccleston will be hoping for a start after an accomplished substitute appearance including a superb goal against Plymouth last time out.

It’s a nice thing to write a preview where predicting a team is based on perceived qualities of players rather than a lack of form and ability, and all three players above add something different to our play. Joe and Benno have worked well as a partnership, Nathan has pace that frightens defenders, BWP has scored goals all season, McOxo seems to have found some form on the right, Wagstaff has blossomed hanging out the back of the lone striker and Kyel Reid can’t even get a look in!

I see the same team as Plymouth but with a very very strong bench indeed which will in turn result in a convincing 3-1 away win.

Come on you reds.

Comments

• Can't really argue with any of that!
  • edited January 2011
    Good summary^

I'm sensing a win too. I think there is a buzz in and around Charlton again and the new signing will add to that. With a home game coming on Tuesday, a win on Saturday could put us right back in it, I'm sure CP will have them all well and truly fired up for this game. The many attacking options on the bench will be the clincher for us to nick this game. I think the defence will be less of a problem in the coming weeks with CP working on that!
  • 100% win it's got to be.... well of corse not but I hope so, as I will wack £50 on this tomorrow. COYR
  • Rochdale are top of the current form league but Charlton are top of the current away form league. (3 Wins 3 Draws, 18 goals scored, 10 conceded).

http://www.statto.com/football/stats/england/league-one/2010-2011/form-table/away

Hard game for us and a win would be a great result. Ooh Aah will dismiss them as a pub side as he always does but they are only two points behind us, are well organised and in Gary Jones have a midfield general who scores.

I think our pace upfront and our bench will be enough to shade a 1 - 2 away win but it will be tight.
  • Having added BWP to the squad and with Eccleston looking a real threat, Powell actually has some difficult choices to make. It won't be an easy game, but which ones are these days? I think we'll scrape a win though.
  • Got to keep it going if we want to get out automatically
  • Good feeling in the team at the moment I imagine. I'm going for a 0-2 result with Eccleston getting the late winner (again). I'm hopeful that Rochdale will have a "holiday hangover" as they've been in Spain this week according to their website. We always seemed to have bit of a slow start when we used to go off to Spain for training breaks (in the old days when we had money to do that...).
  • Rochdale are no mugs and this will be a tough game in which I fear we may fall short.

I hope I'm wrong though!
  • High scoring game. 2-3, 2-4 or 3-4 to us, with good work up front being undermined by weak links in defence. Robbie could use this game to come out of his shell and start bullying his back four...
  • Sponsored links:

• Will be interesting to see who starts. Will Ecclestone be used as an impact sub again? I suspect it may be the case. I would love to see him and BWP start, just to see two pacy, attacking players in action as I think it might terrify the opposition!

I don't know how the match will pan out (as said above, Rochdale are no mugs, especially at home), but I am more optimistic about our chances than I have been for a while!
  • If BWP and NE both start who's going to be best choice to keep em supplied?
  • Erm....good question!

Sir Chris will know!
  • Rochdale go above us if they win :-(
  • Don't worry. They won't!
  • edited January 2011
    with just 4 wins in 12 home games rochdale fall into the pub side category in this substandard of leagues, as much as we'd like to get our excuses in early about how wonderful they are a draw is the minimum i would expect from this fixture

with all those options available to SCP any sort of 11 should win with ease i see it as 2-4 to the addicks and a good reward for the travelling few
  • Close but a 0 - 1
  • After the lord mayors show I am afraid..1-1 or 2-1 loss
  • I can see there being lots of goals 4-3 to us, 150-1 with Skybet and Betfred.
  • [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]
    Hard game for us and a win would be a great result. Ooh Aah will dismiss them as a pub side as he always does but they are only two points behind us, are well organised and in Gary Jones have a midfield general who scores.

[cite]Posted By: oohaahmortimer[/cite]with just 4 wins in 12 home games rochdale fall into the pub side category in this substandard of leagues, as much as we'd like to get our excuses in early about how wonderful they are a draw is the minimum i would expect from this fixture
  • Sponsored links:

• This is extraordinary - the optimism is worrying. Right now, 37 predict a win against 3 who predict a defeat. A strange outcome when Rochdale are right on our heels.
  • This is going to be a very tough game, and I think we may sneak a draw. If we want to keep on the tails of clubs above us we need to win this match, however I still think we look a bit suspect at the back.
  • edited January 2011
    They haven't lost at home in a league match since start of October and they have lost one game since beginning of December. They've won 4 of 6 this year and drawn 2. If we'd had a run of form like that we wouldn't have CP in charge now.
  • I agree this will be a tough match, but I think we have enough to win it. Based on the last few performances at Spurs (first half) and Shef Wed (when we should have won it) + of course last weeks win against Plymouth, there appears to be a new fortitude about the side.
    Add, hopefully, BWP starting his first game and perhaps Benno starting and wanting to show SCP what he can do, then it has to be 2-1 to us.

BWP has already scored at Rochdale earlier this season (17 mins) in their 1-1 draw and from the match report it read as though he could have had more as well, lets hope he can replicate that and get his first (and second) for us tomorrow!!!
  • edited January 2011
    rochdale aren't a bad side in this league, but in saying that though, this league is shockingly appalling even if some might have you believe it somehow rivals the prem. in some bizarre parallel universe maybe.

scp has brought a new style of football to charlton where the players keep the ball on the ground, rochdale may not be expecting this and think that we still favour nice guy parky's hoofball, this should play into our hands.

our players all seem a lot happier too and as others have said,this feel good factor should let them continue wanting to play well again as a team. our new signings will add a bit of class to the side and realistically this is a game we ought to be winning comfortably. the fact that rochdale are only a couple of points from us is part of the reason that mr nice guy is not manager any more.

0-2 charlton.
  • see the same team as Plymouth but with a very very strong bench indeed which will in turn result in a convincing 3-1 away win.

I agree with the gist of the post, but I can't see us starting with one recognised striker in Anyinsah, depending on whether he's fit I'd start with BWP and if not Eccleston.

Elsewhere, I'd move Waggy back to the right and consider which of Racon or McOxo gets to play in the centre with Semedo.
  • Rochdale definitely aren't a bad side at all and will be looking at us as a huge fixture, i know this could be a silly thing to say but they could be treating it almost like an FA Cup game seeing as they were in League Two for so many years and were when we were in the Premier league. Anyway, I will be expecting a tough game and quite a close one too. If we score within the first 30 minutes I can see us going on to win 3-0 but if not I think it will be a close game and our unbeaten run away from home will continue tomorrow with a 2-1 win. Chris Powell has got a great problem now that we have so many options especially up front. I am expecting BWP to make his debut at some point too. Anyinsah and Doherty to score. Doherty will be our first defender to score from a corner this season. - Shocking stat.

Team 1:
    [align=center]Elliott
    Francis Dailly Doherty Fry
    McCormack Racon Semedo Jackson
    Wagstaff
    Anyinsah

Subs: Worner, Jenkinson, Fortune, Reid, Wright-Phillips, Eccleston, Benson[/align]

Team 2:
    [align=center]Elliott
    Francis Dailly Doherty Fry
    Wagstaff Racon Semedo Jackson
    Anyinsah Eccleston

Subs: Worner, Jenkinson, Fortune, McCormack, Reid, Wright-Phillips, Benson[/align]
  • Routine 2-0 win for one of the rearranged games Parky got sacked for not winning.
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: jazzyjazzyjazzy[/cite]Team 2![/quote]

Second that.