Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Cost of 2 storey side extension

Hi, got plans approved for a 2 storey side extension, nothing too big (2m x 4.5m). In process of getting some quotes done, was wondering if any lifers have had an extension done and what they've been quoted? Seen figures of £1,500 per square meter on the net.

Comments

• No idea but in general the smaller the area the higher the cost psm.
  • [cite]Posted By: DessieValley[/cite]Hi, got plans approved for a 2 storey side extension, nothing too big (2m x 4.5m). In process of getting some quotes done, was wondering if any lifers have had an extension done and what they've been quoted? Seen figures of £1,500 per square meter on the net.

Hi Dessie,
    I am just about to start with a single storey extension across the back of my house and all the quotes from builders I got told me to budget on £1,000 to £1,100 per square meter.
    I have decided to go with a local builder I know and project manage the build myself and he is very confident of not exceeding the £1,000 per Square meter.

Good luck
  • Cheers Mike. Is that includng VAT?

From the research I've done, I'm told that cost per square meter is less for a double cos your using same footings and other economies of scale, but keen to find out what other people have paid/quoted in the real world.

Good luck with yours too!
  • edited January 2011
    [cite]Posted By: eaststandmike[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: DessieValley[/cite]Hi, got plans approved for a 2 storey side extension, nothing too big (2m x 4.5m). In process of getting some quotes done, was wondering if any lifers have had an extension done and what they've been quoted? Seen figures of £1,500 per square meter on the net.

Hi Dessie,
    I am just about to start with a single storey extension across the back of my house and all the quotes from builders I got told me to budget on £1,000 to £1,100 per square meter.
    I have decided to go with a local builder I know and project manage the build myself and he is very confident of not exceeding the £1,000 per Square meter.

Good luck

is this just for the build or are you talking about electrics and plumbing as well ?
  • [cite]Posted By: DessieValley[/cite]Hi, got plans approved for a 2 storey side extension, nothing too big (2m x 4.5m). In process of getting some quotes done, was wondering if any lifers have had an extension done and what they've been quoted? Seen figures of £1,500 per square meter on the net.

I had quotes varying from 18k to 44k for about the same size.
    I thought the the best one was 23k (about £1400/m) for putting the shell up and leaving me the bathroom, kitchen and clockroom fit out. Included in the quote was a lot of ground work moving drains and under pinning a a wall. About 6 to 8 weeks. I have seen this guys work, (work friend), he was pleased with the finish of his extension and the time it took. Works West Wickham and surrounding area. If you want his number I'll whisper it to you.

After drawing the plans, getting planning approved and then finding this builder I sold my house and decided the next bloke can do it. I complete weeks time.
  • My mate had a 2 storey side extension on a chalet style house in Sidcup. Cost him around 60k and he did all the electrical work himself being an electrician. Added 3 rooms and a huge kitchen. Not sure if that cost included the bathroom and kitchen fittings though.
  • As a project manager for a number of clients (not just in construction) you need to be clear about balanciing up what you want (and need) and what you can afford.

Go for competitive quotes but check out the real track record of successful delivery. The cheapest quote is rarely the best for the customer.
  • [cite]Posted By: DessieValley[/cite]Cheers Mike. Is that includng VAT?

From the research I've done, I'm told that cost per square meter is less for a double cos your using same footings and other economies of scale, but keen to find out what other people have paid/quoted in the real world.

Good luck with yours too!

I will be paying VAT on the materials but I will pay the builder cash, you are correct with the double v single i.e. footings etc but I cannot go up to a double with mine due to where I live and apparently it will "spoil my neighbours veiw of the chuch"
  • [cite]Posted By: northstandsteve[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: eaststandmike[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: DessieValley[/cite]Hi, got plans approved for a 2 storey side extension, nothing too big (2m x 4.5m). In process of getting some quotes done, was wondering if any lifers have had an extension done and what they've been quoted? Seen figures of £1,500 per square meter on the net.

Hi Dessie,

Good luck

is this just for the build or are you talking about electrics and plumbing as well ?

All in, brickwork, plastering, electrics, heating etc
  • Not really sure that building a two storey extension is always a good thing as an investment in the short term!

Despite 'competitive' building companies, unless you want to stay, because of schools,and really cannot put up with that small 'galley' kitchen, there seems to be a big glut of large 4/5 bed houses on the market at present.

Thinking of downsizing at present, but the lack of ' houses in Bexley/Sidcup is rather daunting at present, as people seem to want £300,000 plus for a half decent house, with an old MFI flat pack kitchen installed 25 years ago, roofs that date back to the 50s,, generally 'buttered up', and a bathroom older than the one I took out of my last house 28 years ago!.

Still, it depends on how you look at these things, and as moving is such a pain these days'!. or able too! for most I guess it is the only real alternative.