Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Car Problem

Hi,

I'm planning to pick up a car, which I bought on Sunday, on the 24th of this month. Although I'd searched long and hard about which car to go for it was a fairly rash decision to go for it there and then. Part of the deal is to part exchange my current car, and this is where the problem is. I needed to tax my car in December and realised the address needed changing on the log book. So in December I went to the Post Office and they sent off the log book with the change of address. Now I do not have this. Is this a big problem when part exchanging? Is there another form or something? I'm just hoping the log book comes back in the next 2 weeks. They've probably had it just over a week now but they said they haven't changed the details yet. Their estimate is 4-6 weeks which is a little later than the 24th. Anyone got any suggestions?

Comments

• Options
    Contact DVLA and tell them you need it ASAP

I had the same and they turned it around in a week or so
  • Options
    I'll try them again then. I didn't really get anyone helpful on the phone, after circumnavigating the endless "press 4 for ......" the lady just said nothing we can do 4-6 weeks? I don't suppose you know if this is definately a problem for part exchanging, or if there's anything else I can do but wait?
  • Options
    Have a look at this site Northern.......
    http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/BuyingAndSellingAVehicle/RegisteringAVehicle/DG_4022310
    re V62.

If the dealer is half sensible it should not prove an issue, as most of them get cars from auctions and the V5 nearly always is 'being transferred'.

if you have some proof of ownership, bills, Mots etc that should help. Worst case they will have to wait till the documentation arrives! normally about 2-3 weeks.
  • Options
    Hmmm that looks promising, thanks Ken. I'll probably give both DVLA and Dealer a ring tomorrow morning to see if there are any updates, plus I need to wait for my final payment for the current car to be paid and get the finance people to fax the dealer to say there's no outstanding balance, might as well do it all together when I know that bit is done. I'll let you know what happens.
  • Options
    They will to a HPI check on you old car befrore they PX it anyway, most dealers pay a minmum fee for HPI check, I wouldn't worry mate. Happens all the time.