Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Clubs that haven't been taken overin recent years?

Are there any major clubs still under the same owners that they were say pre-Premier League days?

Comments

• [cite]Posted By: seth plum[/cite]Wigan?

Mid nighties I believe.
  • I guess the days of the local butcher made good, car dealer or bakery* owning the local club are long. long gone.

* I worked for a year at Warburtons Bakery in Bolton, the family pretty much owned the club & Burnden Park. Every Friday in the year I was there, the hapless Phil Neal would be hauled up to the board room at the bakery to meet the owners - I guess to get their approval for his team selection. The bakery itself was a retirement home for ex-players as well, I remember Wyn Davies working there - a right miserable sod!
  • [cite]Posted By: Stu of HU5[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: seth plum[/cite]Wigan?

Mid nighties I believe.
    pre prem
  • Arsenal - a few different people have bought stakes, but they haven't been taken over.
  • Everton?
  • Whelan took over Wigan after the premiership began, I'm sure of it. 94 or 95 I think.
  • [cite]Posted By: nichorob[/cite]Everton?
    Bill Kenwright?
  • [cite]Posted By: aliwibble[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: nichorob[/cite]Everton?
    Bill Kenwright?

yeah that was 94 wasn't it looking now. next
  • [cite]Posted By: Oakster[/cite]I remember Wyn Davies working there - a right miserable sod!

Isn't he Welsh?
  • Sponsored links:

• Is Bob Lord still chairman of Burnley ....?
  • [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]Is Bob Lord still chairman of Burnley ....?

Whose he Oggy? :-)
  • [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Oakster[/cite]I remember Wyn Davies working there - a right miserable sod!

Isn't he Welsh?

Yes. ex Newcastle, Man City striker.....was a good player in his day i believe.
  • [cite]Posted By: Leroy Ambrose[/cite]Whelan took over Wigan after the premiership began, I'm sure of it. 94 or 95 I think.

I'll be able to find out tonight, will be surrounded by latics
  • [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]Is Bob Lord still chairman of Burnley ....?

Whose he Oggy? :-)

Family butcher. Probably still has a shop in Burnley High Street.
  • [cite]Posted By: Oakster[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Oakster[/cite]I remember Wyn Davies working there - a right miserable sod!

Isn't he Welsh?

WHOOSH!

Sorry Mr Oakster.

;o)
  • [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Oakster[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]

Isn't he Welsh?

WHOOSH!

Sorry Mr Oakster.

;o)

ha ha Oggy - the cold is slowly freezing my brain cells (twas a nippy -35 this morning!) - need some alcohol later to defrost them

happy new year!!
  • Happy New Year, Oakster!

Although you must be several hours behind us - but don't let that stop you getting started with a nip of brandy.