Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Zulu

edited December 2010 in Not Sports Related
Just about to start (13.35) on Channel 4 - get in there!

Comments

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Off_it[/cite]Just about to start (13.35) on Channel 4 - get in there!

Proper Zulu watchers have got it on DVD lol
  • Options
    Of course, but you still can't help yourself watching it when it comes on the TV.

It's a bit like when a song you like comes on the radio. You can put the CD/Ipod version on any time - but the thrill is still there when you hear it!
  • Options
    My favourite film ever, never tire of watching it.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Essex_Al[/cite]My favourite film ever, never tire of watching it.

I thought it was just me.
  • Options
    Quality film and at the age of 23 maybe it shouldn't be my cup of tea. But zulu and the great escape are up there with my favourites
  • Options
    When they sing Men of Harlech it still sends shivers down my spine - now that is passion!
  • Options
    And I thought it was just me too!
    We should form some sort of breakaway CharltonLife appreciation faction then. Get ourselves badges made up and everything.
    ;o)
  • Options
    Allegedly you can see some of the Zulu warriors wearing wrist watches, the story was that they were given those watches as payment for appearing as extras.
  • Options
    Interesting fact #57: Colour Sergeant Bourne (the real one, not Nigel Green!) lived and is buried in Beckenham.

Unfortunately, there is therefore a good chance that he was Palace. But please try not to let that spoil your enjoyment of the film.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Off_it[/cite]Interesting fact #57: Colour Sergeant Bourne (the real one, not Nigel Green!) lived and is buried in Beckenham.

Unfortunately, there is therefore a good chance that he was Palace. But please try not to let that spoil your enjoyment of the film.[/quote]

Did CPFC exist in 1879?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Hello all 1st post here, top film by the way , a little bit of local interest here, there is a war memorial in woolwich dedicated to the zulu wars .
    http://www.greenwich.gov.uk/Greenwich/YourEnvironment/GreenSpace/Monuments/greenspace-monuments-azmem-content1.htm
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Off_it[/cite]Interesting fact #57: Colour Sergeant Bourne (the real one, not Nigel Green!) lived and is buried in Beckenham.

Unfortunately, there is therefore a good chance that he was Palace. But please try not to let that spoil your enjoyment of the film.

Did CPFC exist in 1879?

He didn't die until around the second world war though - pretty sure they were around by then!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Off_it[/cite]And I thought it was just me too!
    We should form some sort of breakaway CharltonLife appreciation faction then. Get ourselves badges made up and everything.
    ;o)

Offit, you can't mention Charlton Life and badges in the same post!
  • Options
    Also recommended viewing is Zulu Dawn, showing the events leading up to Rourkes Drift. Has a more 'starry' cast but excellent production values.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Off_it[/cite]Interesting fact #57: Colour Sergeant Bourne (the real one, not Nigel Green!) lived and is buried in Beckenham.

Visit the Royal Engineers Museum in Gillingham... lots of Rourke's Drfit memorabilia down there including a few of the medals.
  • Options
    flushed away on bbc1. proper film.
  • Options
    Riley >>>>>>>>> Zulu
  • Options
    Also some great books:

Zulu Hart - a fictional book set in the Zulu Wars by Saul David who has written a lot of factual history about the event

Zulu: The Heroism and Tragedy of the Zulu War of 1879 - Saul David

The Washing Of The Spears - Donald Eaton Carr
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Off_it[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: Off_it[/cite]Interesting fact #57: Colour Sergeant Bourne (the real one, not Nigel Green!) lived and is buried in Beckenham.

Unfortunately, there is therefore a good chance that he was Palace. But please try not to let that spoil your enjoyment of the film.[/quote]

Did CPFC exist in 1879?[/quote]

He didn't die until around the second world war though - pretty sure they were around by then![/quote]

A fair point, he's buried in the same cemetery as Samuel Rowbotham, founder of the Flat Earth Society, so you could be on to something.
  • Options
    Agree my favourite film of all time.

An interesting side note is that last year I visited an elderly couple (late 80's) living in Billericay. I had known this couple for about 5 years but this was the first time I had ever been to their house. In their living room were two or three military pictures. All of the pictures were from the Zulu wars. One of these was of a painting of a British soldier dressed in the red uniform of that time. The soldier was sitting, and around his feet were a number of Zulu shields and the Zulu spears. I made comment about this picture and the elderly gentleman said that this was a print from a painting that had been given to him. He then said that the man in the painting was his grandfather Private William Jones who was one of the VC winners at Rorkes Drift. (The soldier in the hospital helping the wounded out as the hospital burned)

In the time I had known him he had never ever mentioned anything about his grandfather having won the VC at Rorkes Drift. He later told me that Queen Victoria had presented his Grandfather with his medal, but at the turn of the 20th century the family was so poor that his Grandfather had been forced to sell the medal to provide food for the family. The medal was now owned by his Grandfathers regiment in Wales.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    A transcript of a radio broadcast given by Colour Sgt Bourne:

http://www.rorkesdriftvc.com/defenders/tran.htm

All marvellously stiff upper lip stuff.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: stonemuse[/cite]Also some great books:

Zulu: The Heroism and Tragedy of the Zulu War of 1879 - Saul David

That's a fantastic book. For a factual non-fiction book it reads very very well and has a very good flow to it - almost like a novel. I understand it got a bit of stick from some of the more stuffy historians who tried to pick holes in some of the terminology and "facts" it uses. Just goes to show that even the most intellectual and academic people suffer the green eyed monster every once in a while, same as the rest of us.

I seriously recommend this book to anyone interested in the subject.
  • Options
    Another illegal war... ;-)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]Another illegal war... ;-)

Aren't they all?
  • Options
    Well quite.
  • Options
    other than saturday morning pictures, zulu was the first film I ever saw. I watched it at the cinema in erith and it was spectacular, to a ten year old lad. i've never forgotten it and like you lot tend to watch it everytime it's on. I never get tired of it, it brings back a whole host of memories. my favourite bit is at the end, when the soldiers think the zulu's are coming to slaughter them but instead sing their praises. I can always recall that song, it goes right through me. one of the great films of all time.
  • Options
    Thanks for the transcript BFR.......

Sent it to my brother in law who is going there in a few weeks time.

Funny how some films have a ressonance with people.

Caine is in a couple of films that I never tire of....
    Alfie, and of course the Italian job....I also like the Ipcriss file and my favourite Get Carter

One of the few people\actors who I would love to see talking about his life in film at the BFI or somewhere.
  • Options
    The Rorke's Drift Men, author James W Bancroft.

This is a factual book detailing every man that fought at Rorke's Drift, and what happened
    to them after, excellent read for anyone interested in that battle.
  • Options
    edited December 2010

There's a blue plaque on his old house at 16 Kings Hall Road, Beckenham. He was the last survivor of the battle to die, on 8th May 1945 at the age of 90. He had retired from the Army as a Lieutenant Colonel.

Another good book by James W Bancroft is 'The Zulu War 1879 - Rorke's Drift' which contains the same information as mentioned by cblock but also gives some good background and explodes some of the myths propagated in the film.
  • Options
    Watched it in Hd, great film but how much blue makeup has Micheal Caine got on his eyes?