Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Bartram The Blitz and Beyond - RECOMMENDED VIEWING

edited December 2010 in General Charlton
Just thought I'd like to post the link to the film we have just completed on Sam Bartram. For those of you who have not had a chance to see it please take a look as we would like as many Charlton fans as possible to get to see it. You can see it on the following link: http://vimeo.com/17779004

The Bartram project was funded by a generous Heritage Lottery grant of £30,000 to Bexley Local Studies and Archives who were loaned the Sam Bartram collection by the club. Last week we finished the tour of our play on Sam for primary school children in Bexley. 10 school assemblies saw the play by the fantastic MOD Theatre Group. Two schools St Paulinus in Crayford and our Lady of the Rosary in Blackfen have played a major role in the project. In addition to helping to make the film they have used thestory book and project pack to twinned with schools in Norfolk through a link with Norwich City. They have written letter and newspapers to each other based around the year 1944 when Charlton won the War Cup final with Sam.

I am hoping that we can get the education pack which includes the full illustrated story that formed the basis of the film onto the Crayfordhistory website at some time but if any one else has any other ideas please let me two as the pack is designed for children studying WW2 at primary school. It has Charlton linked activities and superb pictures by leading illustrator Michael Foreman.

Comments

• Options
    edited December 2010
    BRILLIANT !
    Thanks for sharing that with us, really enjoyed it.
  • Options
    Fantastic! Loved it
  • Options
    Absolutely amazing.
    Thank you very much for sharing.
  • Options
    Really enjoying it, but then it stopped at 12.19 for me. Will try again later.

So far though brilliant. Makes me realise how little I really know about the club's history and how much of it I take for granted.

Thanks and very well done.
  • Options
    Yes it's a great film, well done to everyone who helped make it. In fact it's so good, we already have a thread about it ;-)
    http://www.charltonlife.com/forum/comments.php?DiscussionID=38263&page=1#Item_9
  • Options
    Brilliant.
  • Options
    superb,brings tears to your eyes,,,,
  • Options
    Fantastic. My old grans hero was Sam Bartram.
  • Options
    I cant find the words to describe the emotions that stirred. Brilliant is only the beginning. I hope that kids everywhere will get a chance to see this film. Mine sat and watched it with me.
  • Options
    I echo the comments above. Amazing work. If you haven't seen this, take the time to do so now.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I hope this thread gets more positive feedback than the last.
    I urge anyone reading this thread to share the video , could watch it over and over.

Very proud addick right about now!
  • Options
    Absolutely brilliant - well done.
  • Options
    Fantastic stuff!
  • Options
    Loved that.
    Sam is my hero too.
  • Options
    Real piece of magic. Cheers for sharing this
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    I love the human touch to your film

I can't wait to share this with my Mum.
    It was very much her era; being a teenager during the blitz.
    She loved Sammy too!
    She grew up in Woolwich, settling in Rideout Street near the Barracks - the house I was born into in 1953
    Outside khazi, Anderson shelter, washtub/mangle/clothesline (no machines/tumbledryers then).
    2 Uncles worked at Siemens.
    Woolwich was a very, very different place in those days

I know this film will strike a chord with Mum.
    I loved it, thank you
  • Options
    I did some photos of the remembering Sam Bartram at Erith library, and some of the presenters and a former player from Charlton ( Roy Hobson) are shown in regard to the above event.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/52647217@N00/page6/.

By the way Bartram blitz Tom Hovi on here is trying to get a plaque for the people\fireman who died in the blitz at invicta primary school through a firemans charity.

(Tom contributed to a book posted on here a couple of weeks ago, which people found interesting re the blitz)

Might be good to link up for the educational\ community aspect.

Count me in if you do, a worthwhile cause.
  • Options
    Incredible...........magical.

Thanks so much for this.
  • Options
    I'm very pleased that the feedback for the film has been so positive.

Please pass the link around as it would be great for more people to see it and find out about the great Sam and the history of our club. A printed version of the text of the film including the brilliant illustrations that you would have seen by Michael Foreman has a lot more than could be included in the film. The film is currently being put onto dvd by Bexley Archives with a proper dvd case. I feel that a lot more could be made of the material from this prlject if it could get to the ears and eyes of the right people.
  • Options
    As I said before, Thank you BB for making this

I loved It!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Brilliant.

Thankyou for sharing this.
  • Options
    Superb, very enjoyable, emotional and highly professional.
  • Options
    A fantastic achievement BB, & the kids deserve credit for their animation efforts, & I'm sure loved being a part of it!

The main body of illustration is great & has a hint of Raymond Briggs about it.

A truly moving piece of work, & something not only for Charlton, & football fans in general, to enjoy!
  • Options
    A wonderful and very moving piece of work. Well done.

I have linked to my blog (www.chicagoaddick.wordpress.com).
  • Options
    Excellent piece of work - very well done.

By the way Ken from Bexley - Invicta Road School have been back in touch re the plaque. Reason for the delay was OFSTED inspection which caused chaos within the school, although all done and passed with flying colours apparently.

We've agreed to re-convene after the Christmas holidays with a view to getting the plaque installed and unveiled during the spring, so I will keep you posted as far as potential dates for the unveiling.
  • Options
    actually made me blubber like a baby, fantastic video!
  • Options
    That was just briliant.

I'd be pleased to buy the DVD when it is ready. Well done to everyone involved in this project.
  • Options
    Watching again!
    Absolutely fantastic.
  • Options
    Excellent. Very evocative. And educational. A lot of stuff I was not aware of. It is strange, but the older I get, the more 'connected' I feel to the people and places that endured the 2nd WW in South East London.
  • Options
    Really informative, emotional and enjoyable. Well done indeed on a very fine piece of work!