Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

No transfer to West Ham

edited January 2007 in General Charlton
According to the Mirror, Curbs is going to offer a cash plus Mullins & Harewood deal "worth" £17M for Darren Bent.
That would be a double whammy (no pun intended) so common sense says we shouldn't sell (to anyone let alone West Ham) - relegation is worth a darn sight more than £17M. And what use would the millions be to sitting in the bank until June?

On the other hand all I am doing is stating the obvious, so I don't expect Pards to sanction anything that would increase our risk of relegation.

I hope Wham make a massive offer like this though - at least it would raise the bar for Darren's price tag for a potential sale in the summer.

WE ARE STAYING UP!

Comments

• Options
    to be honest, the way things are going there at the moment, i really don't think their chairman would sanction such a big outlay to Curbishley, unless they get to the Summer still in the premiership.
  • Options
    We should remember that there will be a "too good" offer at some point.
    If West Ham offer UKStg17 million PLUS Harewood and Mullins then, in my view, that is just too good to refuse.
    Let's face it, if we stay up or not then Benty is off in the summer and no-one will be as desperate as West Ham are now so we won't get anything like as much then.
    Also, we would be getting two decent players in NOW as well.....
    However, if West Ham "value" the deal at 17 million then that could mean they are placing silly valuations on their two players and only paying 9 million or so for Benty which would not be a "too good" deal.
  • Options
    The prize in terms of staying up will increase Darren Bent at 17 million will be a snip,remember we have a Sell on fee with Ipswich and no time for a replacement.
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    I think there's something in this story. Pards put out some vibes a few weeks ago. Then suddenly he is not for sale at any price. Now somebody is prepared to offer £17M. Pards is an admirer or Harewood and presumably Mullens. Harewood was going to be picked for the World Cup squad ahead of Darren before he got injured in the cup final so others rate him. Harewood seems to be out of favour with Curbs, presumably because he is a surly, humourless, moaning git (Harewood not Curbs). £17M whichever way it comes is serious dosh and if true is very hard for the board to turn down given our financial position. Maybe even at this late stage, some of the cash could be invested in other players. It is a huge gamble if its true and will not be universally popular. Watch this space I say.
  • Options
    Spot on Bing. People need to remember that we are NOT a wealthy club and that 17 million quid is an absolute fortune by CAFC standards.
    Yes, I know that going down would be financially terrible but if we got (after Ipswich cut) 13 million PLUS Harewood and Mullins for Bent then we would be in reasonable position with two decent Prem players on board PLUS 13 million quid to clear some debts, help build the South Stand to increase the capacity and also re-invigorate the squad.
    I know some people will equate selling Benty to West Ham with accepting relegation but its not that simple.
    Selling NOW we get 13 million quid PLUS two Prem players.
    Selling in the summer, if we stay up or down, we'd get maybe 8 million after giving Ipswich their slice.
    I am NOT saying we should sell him but the board MUST consider that sort of deal very carefully.
  • Options
    he's going nowhere
  • Options
    No way should we sell Benty to Wet Spam at any price....wait until end of season.....
  • Options
    I wasn't trying to advocate the move, it just seems to have more logic to it that much of the speculation that goes on. I can see the rationale for this deal and why it just might happen.
  • Options
    Selling him to W HAm, whatever the price, would be madness.
    Curbs is taking them down!!
    Meaning we only need to climb above either Wigan or Sheff Utd and we'll be safe.
    You Reds.........
  • Options
    Now don't get me wrong here, I'm a massive Benty fan, and it would be a blow to lose him, but maybe it wouldn't do our survival hopes that much harm. While he's definitely our best player, maybe its a problem that the whole team know this!?! In the games he hasn't played it seems that a greater variety of players have been having shots, rather than just passing it to the lone man upfront who will surely score! When he was on form at the beginning of season, yes he was getting a lot of goals, but he was the only one who was having a sniff most games. I think hes a victim of his own success within the team to a certain extent, and while he will get us goals, how many goals from other players does it cost us having him there?

Saying that, I'm sure that the board wouldn't accept a bid from Wet Spam, and if they did, I'm not entirely convinced Darren would go!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    i'm never convinced on player + cash deals when the total value is banded around, because the value of the players in the swap always gets inflated.

However, if its Mullins (2m), Harewood (3.5m) + £8.5m, it is worth considering.
  • Options
    i'd also insist on Noble being a part of any exchange.
  • Options
    There would be no sale with Pardew's approval, or at least compliance - and any funds would not be put towards ground development either.

I can't believe there will be a sale but if Pardew were to be satisfied with the deal then fair enough - but it seems too late now to spend any money .... so imho the only logic would be if Pards thought that in temrs of Premiership survival,
    ( Harewood + Mullins ) >= Benty

with the cash being a nice bonus for the summer
  • Options
    This player plus cash deal would not be that great if you ask me. I daresay that Harewood's wages are on a par with Bent's so with mullins on top we would be paying more out a week in salaries whilst getting less hard cash than we could from a straight player for dosh deal. Financially doesn't sound a good deal and at this point of the season it doesn't sound great from a playing staff point of view.
  • Options
    Paper Talk End of..!
  • Options
    Let's hope it is paper talk.

If it isn't - the cash doesn't matter the fact that we are helping West Ham escape relegation and making our escape harder is the point. You can't put a price on Premiership survival, but to assist West Ham escape would be madness.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: lancashire lad[/cite]Let's hope it is paper talk.

If it isn't - the cash doesn't matter the fact that we are helping West Ham escape relegation and making our escape harder is the point. You can't put a price on Premiership survival, but to assist West Ham escape would be madness.

In complete agreement, LL. Would be just like the old days when we sold Robert Lee to our nearest promotion rivals Newcastle. They went up, we didn't. And just imagine the morale-bashing effect on the rest of the squad if Curbs could just waltz in and rip away our best player.

I'm actually more concerned to hear that Saha has got a knee injury. Not sure we/Benty could say no to Man U...
  • Options
    Selling Benty for £17 million (£12 or £13million for us - rest to Ipswich) + 2 (hopefully) Premiership players may even be good business.

To Chelsea/Man U/Liverpool maybe....... but never to a relegation rival.

Could you imagine Bent signing for West Ham - and his goals sending us down?

What value those millions then?
  • Options
    Good to see Murray ruling out Benty going anywhere during the transfer window.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKA Bartram[/cite]Good to see Murray ruling out Benty going anywhere during the transfer window.

Yeh! I just felt there was some mileage in the story. I'm glad I was wrong.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Ok- Here's a poser then!

SSN are reporting that West Ham have offered £2.5 Mill for HH.

Yes or No?
  • Options
    Yeh! I just felt there was some mileage in the story. I'm glad I was wrong.

And according to this morning's BBC Curbs has ruled out a bid.